Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First visit to Pod.

Posted by Stan_P on 5/21/02 at 18:50 (084801)

After 2 yrs of PT, orthopedic visits, numerous home remedies, I made an appt. with a Pod. Boy, I feel humble. I wasn't hip to Pod's (sorry), no particular reason. PT has always worked for other injuries, so I stuck with what I knew. After explaining where I've been and the current status, he offered the following:

X-ray foot - . Indicated the spur wasn't causing the problem. The Orthotics my PT made where. didn't have a high enough arches. When I walked-ran, my foot compresses and stretches, which caused the PF.

Walked out with a $22 temp orthotic, (Spenco 3/4, high arch). 6 hours later I feel much better.

Here's where I'd like some feedback: Here's the approach.
Use the temp's for 2 weeks. Follow up. If pain still is resident, injections and re-visit the temps. 2 more weeks more injections (if necessary). If this fails, the release. Does not recommend, this would be my decision.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: First visit to Pod.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 19:13 (084809)

Hope you continue to heal. I would put the release much farther down the list though.
Ed

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:11 (084816)

You don't mention stretching or icing? Have you read the heel pain book here on this site? Ever had an injection in your heel?

Cortizone injections can weaken the fascia, they hurt, don't always work, can give a false sense of pain relief, allowing you to worsen your condition or even chance a rupture. They are not the cure!

I've never been prescribed custom orthotics...no biomechanical problems to correct. I wear OTC motion control inserts by Sofe-Sole that my pod recommended...$30. Have worn only NB's since last summer, just recently improved enough for Betula sandals. Been in night splints and cam walker, on and off crutches, done therapy...you name it. I swear by the icing and Aleve for pain (2-2X daily). Please put the release way down your list of options and concentrate on conservative treatments or consider ESWT if it's an option for you.

Good Luck!!
Rich

R C on 5/22/02 at 06:41 (084834)

I'm with Rich on this. I'd shun the cortisone unless you are in unbearable pain. The release surgery should not even be considered until you've exhausted all of the non-invasive treatments, and there are many, many more that you could try. (Read Scott's main pages.) Furthermore, there are other things that you should do along with wearing the orthotics: (1) Rest, stay off your feet, whenever practicable, and certainly hold off on the running until you've healed completely; (2) do non-weight-bearing calf stretches with a towel or belt (gently!).

The fact that your Pod was so quick to rely on cortisone and surgery does not inspire my confidence.... What about ice? Splint? Tape? Can't hurt to ask about these things if he reaches for the needle next visit.

Stan_P on 5/22/02 at 19:20 (084919)

Good suggestions. I am doing stretching and wearing a splint. Additionally, I'm taking MSM, but no real results with that. I've had cortisone about 1 year ago. Did very little, if anything. I was more curious to get feedback about the prognosis. Is this in line or big red flag. Day 2 and still, the foot feels good. It's real hard not thinking about hitting the road. Thanks for tips.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 19:13 (084809)

Hope you continue to heal. I would put the release much farther down the list though.
Ed

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:11 (084816)

You don't mention stretching or icing? Have you read the heel pain book here on this site? Ever had an injection in your heel?

Cortizone injections can weaken the fascia, they hurt, don't always work, can give a false sense of pain relief, allowing you to worsen your condition or even chance a rupture. They are not the cure!

I've never been prescribed custom orthotics...no biomechanical problems to correct. I wear OTC motion control inserts by Sofe-Sole that my pod recommended...$30. Have worn only NB's since last summer, just recently improved enough for Betula sandals. Been in night splints and cam walker, on and off crutches, done therapy...you name it. I swear by the icing and Aleve for pain (2-2X daily). Please put the release way down your list of options and concentrate on conservative treatments or consider ESWT if it's an option for you.

Good Luck!!
Rich

R C on 5/22/02 at 06:41 (084834)

I'm with Rich on this. I'd shun the cortisone unless you are in unbearable pain. The release surgery should not even be considered until you've exhausted all of the non-invasive treatments, and there are many, many more that you could try. (Read Scott's main pages.) Furthermore, there are other things that you should do along with wearing the orthotics: (1) Rest, stay off your feet, whenever practicable, and certainly hold off on the running until you've healed completely; (2) do non-weight-bearing calf stretches with a towel or belt (gently!).

The fact that your Pod was so quick to rely on cortisone and surgery does not inspire my confidence.... What about ice? Splint? Tape? Can't hurt to ask about these things if he reaches for the needle next visit.

Stan_P on 5/22/02 at 19:20 (084919)

Good suggestions. I am doing stretching and wearing a splint. Additionally, I'm taking MSM, but no real results with that. I've had cortisone about 1 year ago. Did very little, if anything. I was more curious to get feedback about the prognosis. Is this in line or big red flag. Day 2 and still, the foot feels good. It's real hard not thinking about hitting the road. Thanks for tips.