Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Choosing a shoe

Posted by Andrue on 5/22/02 at 05:54 (084833)

I've recently mentioned that my feet have deteriorated a bit and seem to be worse when relaxed. It's just occurred to me that they were worse yesterday and unlike the day before I had worn my expensive trainers (New Balance 763) all day instead of taking them off when seated.

They have always been a tight(ish) fit and I'm wondering if they could be the cause of the set back. I did start wearing them shortly before my feet developed this resting problem.

I'm now back on the 'elcheapo' trainers I bought at Christmas. These have reasonable arch support but not as much sole stability and not as much cushioning. As a price comparison the New Balance 763s cost £60 whereas these (unknown make) cost £25. Could the problem be the tight fit or simply that the 763s were doing something my feet didn't want?

I'm (perhaps) a bit odd in that I have never really had problems walking (and certainly not for several months) unless I'm unlucky enough to put pressure on the inside front of my heel.

Re: Choosing a shoe

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 09:20 (084847)

Andrue, by all means wear the shoes that help your feet to feel better.

I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't bought a pair of expensive shoes that they can't wear. There's a corner in the back of my closet where I put the multitude of shoes I can't wear right now.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/22/02 at 10:01 (084851)

Well something has made a difference today. I haven't had any of that sharp stabbing pain in the heel that I was getting when resting my foot. Instead my feet just feel a bit 'achey' (mainly when I use them) and have a couple of pressure points around the arches. Up 'till today the pain had felt like 'warning' pain but now it just feels like my feet are a bit bruised.

It's quite cheered me up - instead of feeling like they were falling apart my feet just feel like they want a rest.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 13:58 (084872)

What's even more exciting to me is that you are discovering new things by listening to your feet. You're getting more attuned to what they are telling you. Something was wrong, and you keyed right in on it and figured out what it was. I am still learning how to listen to my feet, but I'm getting better at it too. It really makes a giant difference in how my feet feel.

I'm glad you are not feeling that 'warning' pain. That's kind of scary, not that the pain itself is so bad, but that it might be warning of another setback.

Don't worry about the money the New Balance cost. Consider it to be a medical expense, wear the shoes that don't hurt instead, and move on.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/23/02 at 14:12 (085000)

My feet are obviously weird. Yesterday evening I decided to go out for a walk - I'd been cooped up too long. It turned into a twenty minute ramble along an old footpath. What's odd is that it didn't hurt my feet at the time (walking rarely does) and so far (now 24 hours later) my feet still don't seem any the worse.

OTOH I can make my left foot hurt by sitting quietly with it flat on the ground and leg at 90 degrees. I can make it hurt a lot by tilting my foot over onto its outside edge. I start to get a tight/bruised feeling under my heel at the classic insertion point. If I ignore it it goes away but if I persist the pain will last long after I change position.

So...sitting hurts my feet, walking doesn't. How does that make sense?

Re: walking and sitting

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 17:51 (085023)

Andrue, your feet respond a little differently than mine but not totally. It hurts my feet to sit with them flat on the ground and with my leg at 90 degrees too, especially if I just leave them that way. I think it's because the weight of my leg is pushing down on them. So, when I sit to rest my PF, I move my feet around, wiggle my toes, rest them on their sides (mine don't hurt like yours do when I tilt them over onto the outside edge), elevate them, or whatever doesn't hurt.

Pain can 'be our friend' if it's not bad pain. If something that you are doing is causing you more pain, then you know not to do it.

On the other hand, it's a good thing to be cautious when you do something that might not have been good for you, even if you don't feel any pain the first day afterwards. Like, with your walk; sometimes the pain doesn't show up after something like that until 2 days or longer, so if I were you I'd wait for another day or two before trying anything else. That way you'll be sure your feet are uninjured from it.

You are making some terrific observations about your feet. Each of us has different feet that respond a little differently. If we had to figure out what our feet are telling us from square one, it could take years. I think it helps to pay attention to what others on the board have experienced, but naturally that has to be modified here and there to take into account the way our individual feet respond.

Along those lines, I'd be pretty cautious as you explore walking more, since rest seems to be more helpful for most people here. My suggestion is to be patient and allow 2-3 days after you walk, without doing anything to strain your feet at all, and listen to your feet. This way you can find out if it is harming you or not.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/24/02 at 03:07 (085059)

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad to hear that my feet aren't /too/ weird :)

As for the walking it wasn't a determined attempt to restart, just that for the past week we've been enjoying the typical British summer. A warm sunny evening was just too good to miss :)

But..here I am 36 hours later and still no major feet problems so it's looking good. I've always believed that walking was not the problem since I've walked a fair bit (never use a car if I can walk is my motto) and for the past four or five years I have walked bare foot around the house (not any longer of course).

I'm convinced it was the cycling bare foot (like you) and that if only the inflammation would take a break for a week or two all would be well again. Actually one thing that might be causing a problem is driving to work. For the past six months I haven't been able to car share (not my fault) and I do notice some twinges esp. with my left foot (it's a manual car). Hopefully in the next week or so I should be able to restart the car sharing and if it helps I should be able to get a month's rest by paying for the petrol (currently $5.50 a gallon over here)!

How are you coming along?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 16:24 (085126)

I'm so glad to hear that your car sharing may be starting up again, and especially glad to hear that your feet aren't hurting 36 hours after your walk. It sounds good! I'm hoping that no problems develop in the next day and a half, and at that point it would sound like you did not harm anything.

The thing with the inflammation is that if you do something that hurts a little and causes a minor setback, it's likely to cause more inflammation. I seemed to improve very rapidly once I started doing less than I thought I could do, and didn't do anything to cause even a little pain or setback, for over a month. Of course, it took me several months before that to figure out what would cause more pain or a minor setback, and what wouldn't.

The gas (petrol) is expensive over there (it's $1.59 here at most) but in your case it sounds like it will help a lot. My feet used to hurt if I drove a lot too, even though I have an automatic.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/25/02 at 08:22 (085179)

Well it's now..um..a couple of days since the long walk and I went on a ten minute walk last night this time mostly on pavements. My feet this morning are actually better than normal. In fact apart from an occasional at rest twinge they are pain free. One could almost be naive enough to say I was cured :)

But of course I'm not that naive. Luckily I have no reason to be out and about so I can (and will) spend most of the weekend with my feet up. Better yet I have a good reason to stay seated - the Monaco F1 Grand Prix :)

I've started reapplying the Ibuprofen gel but this time it's one that has no other active ingredient. The menthol ones often made my feet feel like they were burning and although not painful I'd rather not have my attention attracted to my feet right now.

Actually on the subject of the gels I'm intrigued by their apparent rarity in the US. I got my gel the night before last at my local supermarket. Okay so it was a branch of our biggest national supermarket chain but it's a small branch. I wonder why it's so much more readily available over here? OTOH we seem to be lacking truly decent Podiatry and I think I'd rather have that...

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 09:20 (084847)

Andrue, by all means wear the shoes that help your feet to feel better.

I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't bought a pair of expensive shoes that they can't wear. There's a corner in the back of my closet where I put the multitude of shoes I can't wear right now.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/22/02 at 10:01 (084851)

Well something has made a difference today. I haven't had any of that sharp stabbing pain in the heel that I was getting when resting my foot. Instead my feet just feel a bit 'achey' (mainly when I use them) and have a couple of pressure points around the arches. Up 'till today the pain had felt like 'warning' pain but now it just feels like my feet are a bit bruised.

It's quite cheered me up - instead of feeling like they were falling apart my feet just feel like they want a rest.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 13:58 (084872)

What's even more exciting to me is that you are discovering new things by listening to your feet. You're getting more attuned to what they are telling you. Something was wrong, and you keyed right in on it and figured out what it was. I am still learning how to listen to my feet, but I'm getting better at it too. It really makes a giant difference in how my feet feel.

I'm glad you are not feeling that 'warning' pain. That's kind of scary, not that the pain itself is so bad, but that it might be warning of another setback.

Don't worry about the money the New Balance cost. Consider it to be a medical expense, wear the shoes that don't hurt instead, and move on.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/23/02 at 14:12 (085000)

My feet are obviously weird. Yesterday evening I decided to go out for a walk - I'd been cooped up too long. It turned into a twenty minute ramble along an old footpath. What's odd is that it didn't hurt my feet at the time (walking rarely does) and so far (now 24 hours later) my feet still don't seem any the worse.

OTOH I can make my left foot hurt by sitting quietly with it flat on the ground and leg at 90 degrees. I can make it hurt a lot by tilting my foot over onto its outside edge. I start to get a tight/bruised feeling under my heel at the classic insertion point. If I ignore it it goes away but if I persist the pain will last long after I change position.

So...sitting hurts my feet, walking doesn't. How does that make sense?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 17:51 (085023)

Andrue, your feet respond a little differently than mine but not totally. It hurts my feet to sit with them flat on the ground and with my leg at 90 degrees too, especially if I just leave them that way. I think it's because the weight of my leg is pushing down on them. So, when I sit to rest my PF, I move my feet around, wiggle my toes, rest them on their sides (mine don't hurt like yours do when I tilt them over onto the outside edge), elevate them, or whatever doesn't hurt.

Pain can 'be our friend' if it's not bad pain. If something that you are doing is causing you more pain, then you know not to do it.

On the other hand, it's a good thing to be cautious when you do something that might not have been good for you, even if you don't feel any pain the first day afterwards. Like, with your walk; sometimes the pain doesn't show up after something like that until 2 days or longer, so if I were you I'd wait for another day or two before trying anything else. That way you'll be sure your feet are uninjured from it.

You are making some terrific observations about your feet. Each of us has different feet that respond a little differently. If we had to figure out what our feet are telling us from square one, it could take years. I think it helps to pay attention to what others on the board have experienced, but naturally that has to be modified here and there to take into account the way our individual feet respond.

Along those lines, I'd be pretty cautious as you explore walking more, since rest seems to be more helpful for most people here. My suggestion is to be patient and allow 2-3 days after you walk, without doing anything to strain your feet at all, and listen to your feet. This way you can find out if it is harming you or not.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/24/02 at 03:07 (085059)

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad to hear that my feet aren't /too/ weird :)

As for the walking it wasn't a determined attempt to restart, just that for the past week we've been enjoying the typical British summer. A warm sunny evening was just too good to miss :)

But..here I am 36 hours later and still no major feet problems so it's looking good. I've always believed that walking was not the problem since I've walked a fair bit (never use a car if I can walk is my motto) and for the past four or five years I have walked bare foot around the house (not any longer of course).

I'm convinced it was the cycling bare foot (like you) and that if only the inflammation would take a break for a week or two all would be well again. Actually one thing that might be causing a problem is driving to work. For the past six months I haven't been able to car share (not my fault) and I do notice some twinges esp. with my left foot (it's a manual car). Hopefully in the next week or so I should be able to restart the car sharing and if it helps I should be able to get a month's rest by paying for the petrol (currently $5.50 a gallon over here)!

How are you coming along?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 16:24 (085126)

I'm so glad to hear that your car sharing may be starting up again, and especially glad to hear that your feet aren't hurting 36 hours after your walk. It sounds good! I'm hoping that no problems develop in the next day and a half, and at that point it would sound like you did not harm anything.

The thing with the inflammation is that if you do something that hurts a little and causes a minor setback, it's likely to cause more inflammation. I seemed to improve very rapidly once I started doing less than I thought I could do, and didn't do anything to cause even a little pain or setback, for over a month. Of course, it took me several months before that to figure out what would cause more pain or a minor setback, and what wouldn't.

The gas (petrol) is expensive over there (it's $1.59 here at most) but in your case it sounds like it will help a lot. My feet used to hurt if I drove a lot too, even though I have an automatic.

Carole C

Andrue on 5/25/02 at 08:22 (085179)

Well it's now..um..a couple of days since the long walk and I went on a ten minute walk last night this time mostly on pavements. My feet this morning are actually better than normal. In fact apart from an occasional at rest twinge they are pain free. One could almost be naive enough to say I was cured :)

But of course I'm not that naive. Luckily I have no reason to be out and about so I can (and will) spend most of the weekend with my feet up. Better yet I have a good reason to stay seated - the Monaco F1 Grand Prix :)

I've started reapplying the Ibuprofen gel but this time it's one that has no other active ingredient. The menthol ones often made my feet feel like they were burning and although not painful I'd rather not have my attention attracted to my feet right now.

Actually on the subject of the gels I'm intrigued by their apparent rarity in the US. I got my gel the night before last at my local supermarket. Okay so it was a branch of our biggest national supermarket chain but it's a small branch. I wonder why it's so much more readily available over here? OTOH we seem to be lacking truly decent Podiatry and I think I'd rather have that...