Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

complain complain complain

Posted by wendyn on 5/22/02 at 07:54 (084841)

This last weekend was beautiful - sun burn weather. I dug in the garden (didn't plant flowers), went for a long bike ride, had a few barbeques.

It was great.

For the last 2 days it's been so windy, it sounds like my house is going to blow apart.

Woke up to snow today.

The geese and robins are going to get fed up and leave again.

If anyone knows who I can submit a formal complaint to, please let me know.

Re: complain complain complain

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 09:14 (084846)

Wendy, snow on May 22nd? That's awful! You have every right to complain. You might as well be in Antarctica. No point in buying summer clothes; you could only wear them a couple of months at most. The geese and robins are probably shivering but if they leave I'll shoo them back north again. LOL

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 09:54 (084850)

I covet that bike ride Wendy...I am unable to bear the thought right now of bike riding but going to try my mom's excersize bike. ;)

CatherineL on 5/22/02 at 10:57 (084857)

Wendy...So that's where our snow is coming from!!!

Yesterday was +24C = 75F... Tonights forcast is -1C/29F and SNOW! In MAY!

I thought the snow Alberta sent this way a couple of weeks ago was a bit much!!!

burrrrrrrr.... I think its time to move someplace nicer!

Catherine

Necee on 5/22/02 at 11:11 (084859)

Oh you lucky rascal you!

**Snow, thats something we rarely see here.

**The Canadian geese and Robins pay us a visit for only a few short weeks every year.

**The wind has been horrible here as well, its blowing this morning!

**Can't have many flowers in the garden (the Grasshoppers eat everything in sight)

**Haven't had not one cookout.....its been too windy......

**Expected highs this Summer are 90*-102*

**Want to trade places??

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Re: Oh, do I ever want to trade places!!!

CatherineL on 5/22/02 at 14:19 (084878)

Although the snow is nice to have in December, the -35F for months on end is not.

Imagine walking into a walk-in FREEZER, then add WIND, then DROP the temp by another 20, then stay there for a couple of hours. That's a real Canadian Winter!!!

The geese are nice to have back.... they're everywhere, but the crows are scaring away the mourning doves, and everything anything else.

In the past 8 months (245 days!) we have only been able to sit outside on a nice day maybe.... 6 times - that's all pretty much been in May! Now the forest-tent-caterpillars are hatching... can you say 'the ground is crawling!!!'. There are literally millions of them all over, for weeks you can't go outside, and they eat all vegitation in thier path for the next 6 weeks. Can't plant flowers, or a garden... Then the mosqitoes start in a week or two, then you can't go in the shade or on the grass until October, unless you want dozens, upon dozens of itchy, itchy, itchy, bumpy bites all-over!!!

So, yes, pretty-pleeeeeaaase, I want to trade places... ;D

Catherine

CarlW on 5/22/02 at 14:26 (084879)

Hi Wendy!

You are right. This is the worst spring I have ever remember. I planted a schwack of perrenials on the weekend that I am keeping my fingers crossed they wont just turn into expensive compost.

Well, at least you dont have to feel guilty staying inside to watch the hockey playoffs.

Carl

Rich on 5/22/02 at 16:38 (084892)

And I thought I had it bad! We were swimming since before mother's day, but now we've had a chilly spell...the water dropped to 80 degress, brrrrr!

LOL

Hang in there...the sun will shine again! And no, this is not the official complaint department...LOL

Rich

Re: You helped teach my children today, Wendy!

Suzanne D on 5/22/02 at 18:27 (084905)

Today during our calendar time, we were labeling our weather chart and one of the children remarked about how cold they were this morning. (We had a light frost on the windshields, although the temperature rose to the 60's -so I'm not complaining!)

I replied by telling the class that I had a friend in Canada who had snow this morning! They were appropriately impressed and sympathetic, and then one of the children said, 'But when we have summer, they have winter!'. (We still have a ways to go in understanding world geography: they tend to think if it is not our country, it's across the globe somewhere.)

I then pulled down the world map, and we had a 'teachable moment' about our neighbor to the north and seasons and so forth. They will probably go home telling about their teacher's friend who has snow tonight! Now if they will just remember it's Canada and not say Indiana or Tennessee... Sometimes they think they are other countries as well! :-)

Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 18:57 (084913)

I think your perennials will be okay.

Good luck with your zap - let us know how it goes!!!

Is DR Smiley doing it?

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 18:58 (084914)

You're on Catherine - I would take the bugs.

I had to go out today in my stupid Birks on the ice and in the slush. My feet were soaked and cold and I almost broke my neck.

Again, this is okay in December but not now!!!!

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 23:25 (084953)

Necee - I would love to have you up here for a visit!

The wind has stopped now but it's really really icy. Very tough to walk on and the snow is hard and slippery (not the nice wet stuff).

Re: Suzanne

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 23:28 (084955)

Wow Suzanne - I feel Very Important now!

Where do you live - I can't remember?

You may want to tell them that it's May 22 and we STILL don't have leaves on our trees...just teeny buds. I've seen 2 tulips. It's ugly.

Do your leaves fall off in the fall? Might be a dumb question but I don't know if that happens in much warmer places.

Catherine lives in Canada too, where she lives they have mosquitos that are large enough to carry off small children. Maybe don't tell them that part.

CatherineL on 5/23/02 at 08:52 (084973)

Wendy... we got your weather again!!! thundershowers lastnight and snow flurries this morning. winds gusting 22km/hr -4C/25F. Thanx alot!!! LOL

Some of my spring bulbs are flowering, somewhere under the snow!

Birks have gone back into the closet.

We often get visitors at work, from our other divisions and companies around the world. Someone from Puerto Rico came one winter and was surprized to find out the our 'dead' trees, actually get leaves again.

We have a couple of visitors here this month from Chantilly, Virginia, and they were taking picture of the May snow - they were amazed! When they were here in the winter, we told them our summers a beautiful - they don't believe us anymore!

Happy snowshoeing!
Catherine

john h on 5/23/02 at 09:20 (084977)

what happened to global warming?

CarlW on 5/23/02 at 10:58 (084984)

Thanks Wendy

Dr. Smiley (: did write up the refferal to the Sonorex which is located upstairs from his office.

I will keep you posted.

Carl

Suzanne D on 5/23/02 at 11:18 (084985)

Hi, Wendy! I live in Kentucky - sometimes called 'the Bluegrass State'. We are mostly known for being the brithplace of Abraham Lincoln - the 16th president, the home of Mammoth Cave, and the Kentucky Derby.

We have fairly distinct seasons, and yes, the leaves do fall in Autumn. ( As I tell my children at school, there are NO 'dumb' questions!) The fall season has always been my favorite. I like the crisp autumn days when the sun is shining brightly but a cool breeze is stirring. I used to love to romp through the leaves of our 24 oak trees in my yard growing up. (Now I'd settle for WALKING through the leaves... I think my 'romping' days are in the past!) :-)

It seems to me that we used to get more snow years ago than we do now. We have many winters without more than a covering of snow 2 or 3 times. But then a winter will come along in which we have several inches, and that - combined with the hills, limited equipment, and lack of experience - makes for some treacherous driving!

Spring is usually wet and cool, but there are some years when we seem to go straight from winter to summer. Many people suffer from allergies, and this is a bad area for that.

We can get very hot and humid in the summer - especially July and August. I remember many days of 100+ temperatures. That's not my favorite time of the year except for the fact that school begins in August, and I look forward to that.

I'll tell the children that you have no leaves yet. That will amaze them. The mosquito story would REALLY amaze them, but I'll probably leave that one for another day...:-)

Hope it's a little warmer in your corner of the world today!

Suzanne

wendyn on 5/23/02 at 18:55 (085030)

I would give anything for some global warming right now John. Still snow on the ground. I refuse to wear socks in my Birks in my, therefore I have very cold toes.

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:38 (085084)

Suzanne: How could you leave out the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team for what you are know for or your 300LB Kentucky QB?

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:51 (085087)

Wendy: I am with you on not wearing socks with birks. Real men and women just do not do that (sorry Judy and Nancy I know your pictures have you guys with socks on). I would be bonkers with snow still on the ground. I thouhgt I saw where it was in the 80's in Alaska one day last week. We will be in the mid 80's all week long here in the Rock. We have Riverfest all week along side the Arkansas River. Lots of big time entertainment,etc. They broke ground on the Clinton Lirbrary this week along the river at a cost of $150 million dollars. This will be the biggest and most expensive library of all and will promote his legacy. Since Paula Jones still lives here she should be made a Greeter at the llibrary. Also the Prez will have a luxury retreat on about 17 acres on a beautiful lake in Hot Springs. Do not know if Miss Hillary will be around. She, as far as I know, has not been back to Arkansas in years

Suzanne D on 5/24/02 at 14:04 (085115)

That's true, John!! Some of my friends would disown me if they knew I left them out!! Can you tell I'm not a huge sports fan?!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 16:06 (085124)

I wear socks with my Birkenstocks, fashionable or not.

If you just don't think about the fashion issues, and just think only about comfort, they're a lot more comfortable with socks. I'm not talking about super-thin socks like those thin men's dress socks, and I'm not talking about super-thick ski socks... just regular crew socks are what I wear with them and they feel good and give a nice snug fit.

Besides, nobody notices especially when you're wearing them around the house.

Carole C

CatherineL on 5/24/02 at 17:00 (085128)

I've never been able to get myself to wear sock with sandles, but in the comunity I live - it's very common, I just can't get past how it looks!!! My family does it too, and it drives me nuts!!! big hang-up for me!
catherine

nancy s. on 5/24/02 at 17:55 (085129)

i'll have you know that today i went without socks in my birks for the very first time. (i did have leggings on, though, but they stop at the ankles.)

it was ok, guys, but kind of boring, you know? socks are my favorite accent fashion item -- always interesting. john, you KNOW you should try them.

nancy

Re: complain complain complain -- p.s.

nancy s. on 5/24/02 at 17:59 (085130)

actually, socks are my ONLY accent fashion item, come to think of it. i'd better stick with 'em.

Re: socks

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 18:35 (085140)

I have some thin blue socks with moons and stars on them that look cute with my Granadas. But the socks that I wear the most with Birkenstocks are just plain crew socks, in various colors, because they are thicker and feel nice.

Carole C

Re: Socks cover pretty toenails

Valerie S on 5/27/02 at 09:15 (085344)

Hi.

How about painting your toenails pretty colors as a new fashion statement? Mine are now pink with glitter over the top, but this year I've already been purple and red too. YES it's cold here in North Michigan. I guess they call this wind the 'Alberta clipper.' It is windy just about every day. I think the average temps were higher in February this year than in May... what's up? I thought I saw a report that said El Nino was coming back this spring? It's all rain and snow and cold cold cold.

El Nino must be hanging out somewhere else...

But I wear socks sometimes, sometimes not. Having flashy toenails is fun too!

Val.

Re: If I paint my ugly toenails, they are ugly toenails with polish! LOL

Carole C in NOLA on 5/27/02 at 10:28 (085349)

But, I could try getting some new colors of nail polish. Maybe I'm just tired of the one color of polish that I have (a sort of juvenile pink).

My grown-and-gone daughter is into dark colors of nail polish like black. I think I'll avoid those! I hate the way they look (which is probably why she wears those colors... like a lot of kids she does have a tendency to drive one or both of her parents up the wall sometimes). And, I'm not really the 'bright red nail polish' type of person. But, maybe something other than little-girl-pink would be OK.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/27/02 at 20:05 (085387)

Carole - go big. Go for the professional pedicure, they really can make any feet look good.

nancy s. on 5/27/02 at 20:20 (085389)

val, even then, without socks, my toenails don't show. my boston and cooper birks cover them up as well as any socks do. it's hopeless, i'm afraid.

apparently i do have my own style, though, whatever that is. a guy told me today that his sister, who is extremely fashion-conscious, said to him about me, 'wow, i WISH i had the courage to dress like her!'

what does this mean? i have no idea. but it's probably a good sign for pf'ers.

i'd like to see your painted toenails please.

nancy

Suzanne D on 5/27/02 at 20:46 (085392)

That WAS a compliment, Nancy! :-) I can relate: I am known at my school as the 'Ms. Frizzle' type. That comes from a series of books called The Magic School Bus books. The teacher in those books wears clothes for everything the kids study. She may have a dress with volcanoes on it and shoes with lava flowing over them and little dangling volcano earrings. Now I've never had shoes that were creative (until PF!) but I do have shirts and jumpers with all kinds of things on them: Clifford the Big Red Dog, penguins, school buses, bears, frogs - to name some of them! My husband refuses to go anywhere with me until I change. Once in the winter I forgot that I had on my sweatshirt with Arthur, the character in kids' books and a PBS series - come to think of it, what I am wearing in my picture which is on this board - and was on my way to my daughter's college to hear a band concert. We stopped at Wal-Mart, and I got a plain green sweatshirt to wear so I wouldn't embarass anyone! My first graders think my outfits are 'beautiful', and I wear them for the children. I also find that the more enthusiastic I am about what we're studying, the more we all learn. So I have learned to have courage confidence and not worry about what everyone else thinks.

When I was wearing Birks, I wore all kinds of cute and wild socks with them in the winter. The children liked them, too.

I think a smile on one's face and an obvious interest in others is more important than whatever he or she is wearing - from the feet all the way up!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/27/02 at 22:14 (085402)

Ewww! Somebody messing with my big ugly feet? I think that would drive me batty! I'd be tempted to slap her hand and say, 'Fiddle with your own feet if you want but get your hands off of mine NOW!' LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 5/28/02 at 07:42 (085418)

Now Carole, I'm not trying to steer you wrong here.

I always hated the idea of a pedicure too - until I had one. You would NOT believe what they can do to your feet and they will look GOOD (as long as you go somewhere with experienced, well trained staff).

You can actually get used to the idea of someone touching your feet (I'm living proof), and somehow it's harder to resent your sore feet as much when they look so good!

nancy s. on 5/28/02 at 07:54 (085426)

hi suzanne, your last line says it all: 'a smile on one's face and an obvious interest in others is more important than whatever he or she is wearing -- from the feet all the way up.'

since about age 17, before which i cared A LOT, i haven't cared a hoot what people think of the way i dress or (don't) wear my hair. i'm pretty eclectic and my main goal is to be comfortable. i envy your penguins dress, though!

have a wonderful summer off, suzanne.

nancy

Suzanne D on 5/28/02 at 14:22 (085464)

Thanks, Nancy! My penguin jumper, by the way, is one of my favorites. The print is hilarious - with penguins sunbathing and playing volleyball, surfing, etc.. I found it for 50 cents a yard! (Of course - who else would wear it??!) :-) But a really funny memory of that jumper comes from a few years ago when I had it on one day and went to our little store at the end of the road for milk and juice after school. We have an Amish community not far away, and a family was shopping at the same time. You know how you can just feel someone's eyes on you? I had that feeling and turned around to see a little Amish lady right behind me waiting to check out. She was almost a foot shorter than me, and of course we were so differently dressed. She was just staring at me as if I was from Mars! :-) I just smiled at her and turned back around. I don't know how long it took her to recover from the shock! :-)

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:29 (085529)

Can real men get pedicures or would that be a sissy thing for a man????

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:36 (085536)

what is 'an experienced,well trained staff'?

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:38 (085537)

yes you do care Nancy or else you would not wear those cat socks.

nancy s. on 5/28/02 at 21:46 (085541)

ya got me, john. you're right. i must care if i wear socks, especially those cat socks, courtesy of judy. i also have some with wolves now. i can't remember the others, because there are about 600 pairs here.
nancy

wendyn on 5/28/02 at 21:55 (085545)

Someone who knows how to cut your toe nails so they don't infect or get ingrown.

If the person giving the pedicure isn't trained proprely, they can do a lot of harm.

You should know that John, I bet you've gone for a lot of pedicures.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 09:14 (084846)

Wendy, snow on May 22nd? That's awful! You have every right to complain. You might as well be in Antarctica. No point in buying summer clothes; you could only wear them a couple of months at most. The geese and robins are probably shivering but if they leave I'll shoo them back north again. LOL

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 09:54 (084850)

I covet that bike ride Wendy...I am unable to bear the thought right now of bike riding but going to try my mom's excersize bike. ;)

CatherineL on 5/22/02 at 10:57 (084857)

Wendy...So that's where our snow is coming from!!!

Yesterday was +24C = 75F... Tonights forcast is -1C/29F and SNOW! In MAY!

I thought the snow Alberta sent this way a couple of weeks ago was a bit much!!!

burrrrrrrr.... I think its time to move someplace nicer!

Catherine

Necee on 5/22/02 at 11:11 (084859)

Oh you lucky rascal you!

**Snow, thats something we rarely see here.

**The Canadian geese and Robins pay us a visit for only a few short weeks every year.

**The wind has been horrible here as well, its blowing this morning!

**Can't have many flowers in the garden (the Grasshoppers eat everything in sight)

**Haven't had not one cookout.....its been too windy......

**Expected highs this Summer are 90*-102*

**Want to trade places??

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

CatherineL on 5/22/02 at 14:19 (084878)

Although the snow is nice to have in December, the -35F for months on end is not.

Imagine walking into a walk-in FREEZER, then add WIND, then DROP the temp by another 20, then stay there for a couple of hours. That's a real Canadian Winter!!!

The geese are nice to have back.... they're everywhere, but the crows are scaring away the mourning doves, and everything anything else.

In the past 8 months (245 days!) we have only been able to sit outside on a nice day maybe.... 6 times - that's all pretty much been in May! Now the forest-tent-caterpillars are hatching... can you say 'the ground is crawling!!!'. There are literally millions of them all over, for weeks you can't go outside, and they eat all vegitation in thier path for the next 6 weeks. Can't plant flowers, or a garden... Then the mosqitoes start in a week or two, then you can't go in the shade or on the grass until October, unless you want dozens, upon dozens of itchy, itchy, itchy, bumpy bites all-over!!!

So, yes, pretty-pleeeeeaaase, I want to trade places... ;D

Catherine

CarlW on 5/22/02 at 14:26 (084879)

Hi Wendy!

You are right. This is the worst spring I have ever remember. I planted a schwack of perrenials on the weekend that I am keeping my fingers crossed they wont just turn into expensive compost.

Well, at least you dont have to feel guilty staying inside to watch the hockey playoffs.

Carl

Rich on 5/22/02 at 16:38 (084892)

And I thought I had it bad! We were swimming since before mother's day, but now we've had a chilly spell...the water dropped to 80 degress, brrrrr!

LOL

Hang in there...the sun will shine again! And no, this is not the official complaint department...LOL

Rich

Re: You helped teach my children today, Wendy!

Suzanne D on 5/22/02 at 18:27 (084905)

Today during our calendar time, we were labeling our weather chart and one of the children remarked about how cold they were this morning. (We had a light frost on the windshields, although the temperature rose to the 60's -so I'm not complaining!)

I replied by telling the class that I had a friend in Canada who had snow this morning! They were appropriately impressed and sympathetic, and then one of the children said, 'But when we have summer, they have winter!'. (We still have a ways to go in understanding world geography: they tend to think if it is not our country, it's across the globe somewhere.)

I then pulled down the world map, and we had a 'teachable moment' about our neighbor to the north and seasons and so forth. They will probably go home telling about their teacher's friend who has snow tonight! Now if they will just remember it's Canada and not say Indiana or Tennessee... Sometimes they think they are other countries as well! :-)

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 18:57 (084913)

I think your perennials will be okay.

Good luck with your zap - let us know how it goes!!!

Is DR Smiley doing it?

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 18:58 (084914)

You're on Catherine - I would take the bugs.

I had to go out today in my stupid Birks on the ice and in the slush. My feet were soaked and cold and I almost broke my neck.

Again, this is okay in December but not now!!!!

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 23:25 (084953)

Necee - I would love to have you up here for a visit!

The wind has stopped now but it's really really icy. Very tough to walk on and the snow is hard and slippery (not the nice wet stuff).

wendyn on 5/22/02 at 23:28 (084955)

Wow Suzanne - I feel Very Important now!

Where do you live - I can't remember?

You may want to tell them that it's May 22 and we STILL don't have leaves on our trees...just teeny buds. I've seen 2 tulips. It's ugly.

Do your leaves fall off in the fall? Might be a dumb question but I don't know if that happens in much warmer places.

Catherine lives in Canada too, where she lives they have mosquitos that are large enough to carry off small children. Maybe don't tell them that part.

CatherineL on 5/23/02 at 08:52 (084973)

Wendy... we got your weather again!!! thundershowers lastnight and snow flurries this morning. winds gusting 22km/hr -4C/25F. Thanx alot!!! LOL

Some of my spring bulbs are flowering, somewhere under the snow!

Birks have gone back into the closet.

We often get visitors at work, from our other divisions and companies around the world. Someone from Puerto Rico came one winter and was surprized to find out the our 'dead' trees, actually get leaves again.

We have a couple of visitors here this month from Chantilly, Virginia, and they were taking picture of the May snow - they were amazed! When they were here in the winter, we told them our summers a beautiful - they don't believe us anymore!

Happy snowshoeing!
Catherine

john h on 5/23/02 at 09:20 (084977)

what happened to global warming?

CarlW on 5/23/02 at 10:58 (084984)

Thanks Wendy

Dr. Smiley (: did write up the refferal to the Sonorex which is located upstairs from his office.

I will keep you posted.

Carl

Suzanne D on 5/23/02 at 11:18 (084985)

Hi, Wendy! I live in Kentucky - sometimes called 'the Bluegrass State'. We are mostly known for being the brithplace of Abraham Lincoln - the 16th president, the home of Mammoth Cave, and the Kentucky Derby.

We have fairly distinct seasons, and yes, the leaves do fall in Autumn. ( As I tell my children at school, there are NO 'dumb' questions!) The fall season has always been my favorite. I like the crisp autumn days when the sun is shining brightly but a cool breeze is stirring. I used to love to romp through the leaves of our 24 oak trees in my yard growing up. (Now I'd settle for WALKING through the leaves... I think my 'romping' days are in the past!) :-)

It seems to me that we used to get more snow years ago than we do now. We have many winters without more than a covering of snow 2 or 3 times. But then a winter will come along in which we have several inches, and that - combined with the hills, limited equipment, and lack of experience - makes for some treacherous driving!

Spring is usually wet and cool, but there are some years when we seem to go straight from winter to summer. Many people suffer from allergies, and this is a bad area for that.

We can get very hot and humid in the summer - especially July and August. I remember many days of 100+ temperatures. That's not my favorite time of the year except for the fact that school begins in August, and I look forward to that.

I'll tell the children that you have no leaves yet. That will amaze them. The mosquito story would REALLY amaze them, but I'll probably leave that one for another day...:-)

Hope it's a little warmer in your corner of the world today!

Suzanne

wendyn on 5/23/02 at 18:55 (085030)

I would give anything for some global warming right now John. Still snow on the ground. I refuse to wear socks in my Birks in my, therefore I have very cold toes.

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:38 (085084)

Suzanne: How could you leave out the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team for what you are know for or your 300LB Kentucky QB?

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:51 (085087)

Wendy: I am with you on not wearing socks with birks. Real men and women just do not do that (sorry Judy and Nancy I know your pictures have you guys with socks on). I would be bonkers with snow still on the ground. I thouhgt I saw where it was in the 80's in Alaska one day last week. We will be in the mid 80's all week long here in the Rock. We have Riverfest all week along side the Arkansas River. Lots of big time entertainment,etc. They broke ground on the Clinton Lirbrary this week along the river at a cost of $150 million dollars. This will be the biggest and most expensive library of all and will promote his legacy. Since Paula Jones still lives here she should be made a Greeter at the llibrary. Also the Prez will have a luxury retreat on about 17 acres on a beautiful lake in Hot Springs. Do not know if Miss Hillary will be around. She, as far as I know, has not been back to Arkansas in years

Suzanne D on 5/24/02 at 14:04 (085115)

That's true, John!! Some of my friends would disown me if they knew I left them out!! Can you tell I'm not a huge sports fan?!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 16:06 (085124)

I wear socks with my Birkenstocks, fashionable or not.

If you just don't think about the fashion issues, and just think only about comfort, they're a lot more comfortable with socks. I'm not talking about super-thin socks like those thin men's dress socks, and I'm not talking about super-thick ski socks... just regular crew socks are what I wear with them and they feel good and give a nice snug fit.

Besides, nobody notices especially when you're wearing them around the house.

Carole C

CatherineL on 5/24/02 at 17:00 (085128)

I've never been able to get myself to wear sock with sandles, but in the comunity I live - it's very common, I just can't get past how it looks!!! My family does it too, and it drives me nuts!!! big hang-up for me!
catherine

nancy s. on 5/24/02 at 17:55 (085129)

i'll have you know that today i went without socks in my birks for the very first time. (i did have leggings on, though, but they stop at the ankles.)

it was ok, guys, but kind of boring, you know? socks are my favorite accent fashion item -- always interesting. john, you KNOW you should try them.

nancy

Re: complain complain complain -- p.s.

nancy s. on 5/24/02 at 17:59 (085130)

actually, socks are my ONLY accent fashion item, come to think of it. i'd better stick with 'em.

Re: socks

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/02 at 18:35 (085140)

I have some thin blue socks with moons and stars on them that look cute with my Granadas. But the socks that I wear the most with Birkenstocks are just plain crew socks, in various colors, because they are thicker and feel nice.

Carole C

Valerie S on 5/27/02 at 09:15 (085344)

Hi.

How about painting your toenails pretty colors as a new fashion statement? Mine are now pink with glitter over the top, but this year I've already been purple and red too. YES it's cold here in North Michigan. I guess they call this wind the 'Alberta clipper.' It is windy just about every day. I think the average temps were higher in February this year than in May... what's up? I thought I saw a report that said El Nino was coming back this spring? It's all rain and snow and cold cold cold.

El Nino must be hanging out somewhere else...

But I wear socks sometimes, sometimes not. Having flashy toenails is fun too!

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/27/02 at 10:28 (085349)

But, I could try getting some new colors of nail polish. Maybe I'm just tired of the one color of polish that I have (a sort of juvenile pink).

My grown-and-gone daughter is into dark colors of nail polish like black. I think I'll avoid those! I hate the way they look (which is probably why she wears those colors... like a lot of kids she does have a tendency to drive one or both of her parents up the wall sometimes). And, I'm not really the 'bright red nail polish' type of person. But, maybe something other than little-girl-pink would be OK.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/27/02 at 20:05 (085387)

Carole - go big. Go for the professional pedicure, they really can make any feet look good.

nancy s. on 5/27/02 at 20:20 (085389)

val, even then, without socks, my toenails don't show. my boston and cooper birks cover them up as well as any socks do. it's hopeless, i'm afraid.

apparently i do have my own style, though, whatever that is. a guy told me today that his sister, who is extremely fashion-conscious, said to him about me, 'wow, i WISH i had the courage to dress like her!'

what does this mean? i have no idea. but it's probably a good sign for pf'ers.

i'd like to see your painted toenails please.

nancy

Suzanne D on 5/27/02 at 20:46 (085392)

That WAS a compliment, Nancy! :-) I can relate: I am known at my school as the 'Ms. Frizzle' type. That comes from a series of books called The Magic School Bus books. The teacher in those books wears clothes for everything the kids study. She may have a dress with volcanoes on it and shoes with lava flowing over them and little dangling volcano earrings. Now I've never had shoes that were creative (until PF!) but I do have shirts and jumpers with all kinds of things on them: Clifford the Big Red Dog, penguins, school buses, bears, frogs - to name some of them! My husband refuses to go anywhere with me until I change. Once in the winter I forgot that I had on my sweatshirt with Arthur, the character in kids' books and a PBS series - come to think of it, what I am wearing in my picture which is on this board - and was on my way to my daughter's college to hear a band concert. We stopped at Wal-Mart, and I got a plain green sweatshirt to wear so I wouldn't embarass anyone! My first graders think my outfits are 'beautiful', and I wear them for the children. I also find that the more enthusiastic I am about what we're studying, the more we all learn. So I have learned to have courage confidence and not worry about what everyone else thinks.

When I was wearing Birks, I wore all kinds of cute and wild socks with them in the winter. The children liked them, too.

I think a smile on one's face and an obvious interest in others is more important than whatever he or she is wearing - from the feet all the way up!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/27/02 at 22:14 (085402)

Ewww! Somebody messing with my big ugly feet? I think that would drive me batty! I'd be tempted to slap her hand and say, 'Fiddle with your own feet if you want but get your hands off of mine NOW!' LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 5/28/02 at 07:42 (085418)

Now Carole, I'm not trying to steer you wrong here.

I always hated the idea of a pedicure too - until I had one. You would NOT believe what they can do to your feet and they will look GOOD (as long as you go somewhere with experienced, well trained staff).

You can actually get used to the idea of someone touching your feet (I'm living proof), and somehow it's harder to resent your sore feet as much when they look so good!

nancy s. on 5/28/02 at 07:54 (085426)

hi suzanne, your last line says it all: 'a smile on one's face and an obvious interest in others is more important than whatever he or she is wearing -- from the feet all the way up.'

since about age 17, before which i cared A LOT, i haven't cared a hoot what people think of the way i dress or (don't) wear my hair. i'm pretty eclectic and my main goal is to be comfortable. i envy your penguins dress, though!

have a wonderful summer off, suzanne.

nancy

Suzanne D on 5/28/02 at 14:22 (085464)

Thanks, Nancy! My penguin jumper, by the way, is one of my favorites. The print is hilarious - with penguins sunbathing and playing volleyball, surfing, etc.. I found it for 50 cents a yard! (Of course - who else would wear it??!) :-) But a really funny memory of that jumper comes from a few years ago when I had it on one day and went to our little store at the end of the road for milk and juice after school. We have an Amish community not far away, and a family was shopping at the same time. You know how you can just feel someone's eyes on you? I had that feeling and turned around to see a little Amish lady right behind me waiting to check out. She was almost a foot shorter than me, and of course we were so differently dressed. She was just staring at me as if I was from Mars! :-) I just smiled at her and turned back around. I don't know how long it took her to recover from the shock! :-)

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:29 (085529)

Can real men get pedicures or would that be a sissy thing for a man????

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:36 (085536)

what is 'an experienced,well trained staff'?

john h on 5/28/02 at 21:38 (085537)

yes you do care Nancy or else you would not wear those cat socks.

nancy s. on 5/28/02 at 21:46 (085541)

ya got me, john. you're right. i must care if i wear socks, especially those cat socks, courtesy of judy. i also have some with wolves now. i can't remember the others, because there are about 600 pairs here.
nancy

wendyn on 5/28/02 at 21:55 (085545)

Someone who knows how to cut your toe nails so they don't infect or get ingrown.

If the person giving the pedicure isn't trained proprely, they can do a lot of harm.

You should know that John, I bet you've gone for a lot of pedicures.