Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swollen foot on inner side of arches

Posted by Tay E on 5/22/02 at 08:01 (084842)

I have been dealing with this pain on the inner side of my feet, where the tissue is between the arch and the heel. I play both soccer and tennis and feel this pain most during sports when after lacing up my shoes. To prevent or relieve the pain I loosen my laces quite a bit but then I risk my shoes falling off. For the same reason, I can't ski since ski boots are generally snug and a burning pain occurs in the first 10 min of skiing. After a tennis match, I notice it looks like the side of my feet are swollen slightly and possibly the tissue from my feet are 'extruding' out sideways where the pain is. I've done extensive searches on the web and have not found a name for this type of pain. I know I have plantar facitis as well and low arches, maybe even flat.

I bought one of those $300 orthodics from The Goodfeet but haven't tried it yet since none of my shoes are deep enough, except for tennis shoes.

Looking forward to some answers or at least a name for the condition so I can do further research on this.
Thanks,
Tay

Re: Swollen foot on inner side of arches

Ed Davis DPM on 5/22/02 at 11:18 (084862)

If you are willing to spend $300 on a $2 piece of prefabricated plastic, you should be willing to spend less money on a good exam and about the same for a true custom molded orthotic that can go in your tennis and soccer shoes. No orthotic can help you if you re not wearing them regularly in the shoes which you perform vigorous activities.
Ed

Carmen on 5/22/02 at 15:47 (084888)

Sounds like many cases of PF you may see here. Get to a Pod and stay away from poorly made orthotics. I wouldn't put those on my feet until I had a Pod look at them. Someone that has experience with PF and orthotics.

Re: Alznners are a sore subject here..

Mahatmelissama on 5/23/02 at 13:29 (084996)

since we all wasted our money and they don't help. I wa$ted my hard earned ca$h on these and they made my problem worse!!!!!!

My special designed orthodics HELP me however and I CAN'T SOMETIMES WALK WITHOUT THEM

Dave on 5/29/02 at 08:27 (085585)

It seems that i have the same problem. I too play soccer and tennis (and squash). Please let me know if you find out anything new. I will do same. I plan on going to a POD if this does not clear within two weeks. Thks

Tay E on 6/07/02 at 15:48 (086696)

Ed,
I just came back from a visit to the pod. He thinks it's PF and possibly a nerve trapped in the area. He says he's still in the 'investigation' stage so I need to get xrays (load bearing). He seems to think the Good Feet orthodics may help and didn't think it could make things worse. This was the advice I was looking for in this board prior to the appointment. Unfortunately I was in and out of the pod's office in 5 min so I didn't get a chance to ask him some other questions related to PF. Does anyone else have 'periodic' pain during exercise on the inner side of both arches (more on the side of the feet than the bottom). the strange thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS hurt during soccer/tennis, only periodically. The pain goes away and I've had this problem since high school (12 yrs ago).
--Taihi

Ed Davis DPM on 5/22/02 at 11:18 (084862)

If you are willing to spend $300 on a $2 piece of prefabricated plastic, you should be willing to spend less money on a good exam and about the same for a true custom molded orthotic that can go in your tennis and soccer shoes. No orthotic can help you if you re not wearing them regularly in the shoes which you perform vigorous activities.
Ed

Carmen on 5/22/02 at 15:47 (084888)

Sounds like many cases of PF you may see here. Get to a Pod and stay away from poorly made orthotics. I wouldn't put those on my feet until I had a Pod look at them. Someone that has experience with PF and orthotics.

Re: Alznners are a sore subject here..

Mahatmelissama on 5/23/02 at 13:29 (084996)

since we all wasted our money and they don't help. I wa$ted my hard earned ca$h on these and they made my problem worse!!!!!!

My special designed orthodics HELP me however and I CAN'T SOMETIMES WALK WITHOUT THEM

Dave on 5/29/02 at 08:27 (085585)

It seems that i have the same problem. I too play soccer and tennis (and squash). Please let me know if you find out anything new. I will do same. I plan on going to a POD if this does not clear within two weeks. Thks

Tay E on 6/07/02 at 15:48 (086696)

Ed,
I just came back from a visit to the pod. He thinks it's PF and possibly a nerve trapped in the area. He says he's still in the 'investigation' stage so I need to get xrays (load bearing). He seems to think the Good Feet orthodics may help and didn't think it could make things worse. This was the advice I was looking for in this board prior to the appointment. Unfortunately I was in and out of the pod's office in 5 min so I didn't get a chance to ask him some other questions related to PF. Does anyone else have 'periodic' pain during exercise on the inner side of both arches (more on the side of the feet than the bottom). the strange thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS hurt during soccer/tennis, only periodically. The pain goes away and I've had this problem since high school (12 yrs ago).
--Taihi