Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Gordon's cure"

Posted by ScottW on 5/22/02 at 12:37 (084868)

Has anybody had success recently from the vitamin C, exercise, etc. that Gordon recommends because it helped him. I am planning to give it a shot.

Re: "Gordon's cure"

dave on 5/22/02 at 13:25 (084871)

Vitamin C is suppose to suppress the development of scare tissue. I have read that large doses of over 10,000 mg a day can help.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 14:04 (084873)

I don't know anything about Gordon. Who is he and where is his regimen described? Vitamin C and exercise are good for you anyway, so trying that seems like a good idea.

Another nutritional thing that I read about in the archives here is the idea of making sure you are getting enough calcium. I think that might be helping me a little. At any rate, making sure I have my daily requirement of calcium is a good idea so it isn't doing any harm.

Carole C

ScottW on 5/22/02 at 14:31 (084880)

Do a search of the message board for 'Gordon' to get his story.

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 19:01 (084917)

I just perused Gordon's posts...

I am already taking a multi-vitamin, 8 msm w/ gluc a day (may go up to 10 for awhile)...I guess I could easily add 3000 mg of vitamin C a day. It is a thought.

The excesize lying down part is a great idea...I need to do that. The no heat thing...well, I think everybody may be different. I find heat and ice are good...ice better though.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/22/02 at 23:27 (084954)

That is a whopping dose of vitamin C -- I would be careful.

I am a believer in the use of vitamins but consider a memorable quote that I attribute to Marilyn Fenton, PhD, my biochemistry professor.....Vitamins, when used in high doses (doses well above the levels needed for them to perform their normal physiologic functions), no longer act like vitamins, they are drugs.
Ed

Kathy G on 5/24/02 at 11:38 (085100)

I agree with Ed. Be careful with any vitamin supplement that greatly exceeds the recommended dosage. That's a great quote, Ed.

Melissa, be careful of your stomach. Remember Vitamin C is an acid, Ascorbic Acid, and cause a very 'sour' stomach.

Sandy H. on 5/25/02 at 09:32 (085182)

I'm doing 1000 mg a day but as soon as this gets over the worse I'm going back down to the recommended dosage. I can't remember what the latest studies show but I did read that too much vitamin C is bad for you over the long run and even 1000 mg is way over the recommended dosage of 60mgs on most multivitamin packs.

paula on 5/25/02 at 10:12 (085184)

i was a patient of dr cathcard in calif. years ago. he is , was?. one of the biggest advocates of high dose vitamin c. he has a web page i think for those interested in his ideas. there wasnt time enough in a day, or stomach room to shove in all the vitamin c he wanted me to take. by the way and aprapos of nothing he also invented the cathcart hip for hip replacement years ago.
a book i read about high dose vitamin c is by linus pauling. can't remember the name. aprapos of also nothing he won two nobel prizes.
are these guys right, wrong, on to something? don't know but pauling at least seems like a guy worth reading to me.
i take two to four thousand mg vit c a day but always feel i should take more beccause of cathcart-pauling. on the other hand dr. ed always gave me great advice and i take his opinions very seriously. i will be thinking about what he just said too.
just wanted to give everyone a place to read some unconventional views. right now i'm reading about vitamin c helping calcium work for bone health and as a 55 year old woman i'm finding that interesting.

dave on 5/22/02 at 13:25 (084871)

Vitamin C is suppose to suppress the development of scare tissue. I have read that large doses of over 10,000 mg a day can help.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/22/02 at 14:04 (084873)

I don't know anything about Gordon. Who is he and where is his regimen described? Vitamin C and exercise are good for you anyway, so trying that seems like a good idea.

Another nutritional thing that I read about in the archives here is the idea of making sure you are getting enough calcium. I think that might be helping me a little. At any rate, making sure I have my daily requirement of calcium is a good idea so it isn't doing any harm.

Carole C

ScottW on 5/22/02 at 14:31 (084880)

Do a search of the message board for 'Gordon' to get his story.

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 19:01 (084917)

I just perused Gordon's posts...

I am already taking a multi-vitamin, 8 msm w/ gluc a day (may go up to 10 for awhile)...I guess I could easily add 3000 mg of vitamin C a day. It is a thought.

The excesize lying down part is a great idea...I need to do that. The no heat thing...well, I think everybody may be different. I find heat and ice are good...ice better though.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/22/02 at 23:27 (084954)

That is a whopping dose of vitamin C -- I would be careful.

I am a believer in the use of vitamins but consider a memorable quote that I attribute to Marilyn Fenton, PhD, my biochemistry professor.....Vitamins, when used in high doses (doses well above the levels needed for them to perform their normal physiologic functions), no longer act like vitamins, they are drugs.
Ed

Kathy G on 5/24/02 at 11:38 (085100)

I agree with Ed. Be careful with any vitamin supplement that greatly exceeds the recommended dosage. That's a great quote, Ed.

Melissa, be careful of your stomach. Remember Vitamin C is an acid, Ascorbic Acid, and cause a very 'sour' stomach.

Sandy H. on 5/25/02 at 09:32 (085182)

I'm doing 1000 mg a day but as soon as this gets over the worse I'm going back down to the recommended dosage. I can't remember what the latest studies show but I did read that too much vitamin C is bad for you over the long run and even 1000 mg is way over the recommended dosage of 60mgs on most multivitamin packs.

paula on 5/25/02 at 10:12 (085184)

i was a patient of dr cathcard in calif. years ago. he is , was?. one of the biggest advocates of high dose vitamin c. he has a web page i think for those interested in his ideas. there wasnt time enough in a day, or stomach room to shove in all the vitamin c he wanted me to take. by the way and aprapos of nothing he also invented the cathcart hip for hip replacement years ago.
a book i read about high dose vitamin c is by linus pauling. can't remember the name. aprapos of also nothing he won two nobel prizes.
are these guys right, wrong, on to something? don't know but pauling at least seems like a guy worth reading to me.
i take two to four thousand mg vit c a day but always feel i should take more beccause of cathcart-pauling. on the other hand dr. ed always gave me great advice and i take his opinions very seriously. i will be thinking about what he just said too.
just wanted to give everyone a place to read some unconventional views. right now i'm reading about vitamin c helping calcium work for bone health and as a 55 year old woman i'm finding that interesting.