Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good pod for surgery?

Posted by Trudy on 5/22/02 at 18:56 (084912)

My question is ,how do you know who would be a good surgeon in your area? Is there someplace to check?I live in the Frankfort, Lafayette, In. area.I have already been through the insoles,elastic brace, two shots and have been off work for 6 weeks with a velcro cast thing on.I am now back to work(I work on my feet 8-12 hours a day on cement floor wearing steel toed shoes).My foot hurts so badly I am willing to try anything ! I can't stand it anymore.My Dr. I suppose is doing all the right things but I don't know if he is a good surgeon or not and I am afraid that is the only option left , other than changing jobs.I have been in this job for 22 years so that would be a big step but I can't go on like this, I am miserable.

Re: Good pod for surgery?

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 19:59 (084925)

I would find out if he has alot of experience in doing heel spur surgery. Find out if he is trained in doing heel spur surgery. Talk to some of his patients that had heel spur surgery and find out how they did following the surgery. That can be very helpful. Heel spur surgery is not very complicated. He your Podiatrist has been surgically trained, I am sure he is fully qualified to do the surgery for you. You shouldn't be discouraged with you doctor because the conervative treatment failed. I hope this helps you.

DR Zuckerman on 5/22/02 at 20:13 (084931)

Hi

That is the six million dollar question. You can check board certification, age of doctor, recommendation of family, friends and your general medical doctor. Ask you doctor how many of these procedures have you done. I would first look into ESWT before plantar fascia/heel spur surgery . Be happy to talk to you about it. One of the advantages of using this board is after you talk to your podiatrist about what he or she is going to do you have this board to discuss this with and of course Dr. Z

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 17:37 (085022)

Hi Trudy,

I noticed how much time you spent walking on concrete floors at work? Are you going to be able to take some time off after surgery, to heal? If not, you could be setting yourself up for failure. You will want to ask this question to the doctor you choose. It's probably going to be a longer period than you think.

Also, please have your nerves tested for TTS. So many people have had that problem after a normal PF surgery, which means more surgery. Good kuck, but I'd put it off as long as possible, too many failures!

BrianG, not a doc

PS Changing jobs is preferable to failed heel surgery, in my opinion.

Trudy on 5/23/02 at 17:52 (085024)

Thank you so much for your responses.You don't know how much this message board has meant to helping me make a decision!I am going to check out ESWT and talk to my pod.I wished insurance companies covered it , I haven't checked mine yet,but it sounds like most don't.I just know I can't go on much longer like this,I am in terrible pain.Thank you again, I am really gratefull for your help!

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 21:17 (085038)

Trudy, if your a candidate for ESWT, ask for it by all means. If they turn you down, file an appeal. It everyone does this, they will have to give in sooner, or later.

Good luck
BrianG

PS You mght want to think about taking long acting pain meds for awhile, if you can't stand the pain any longer. It could buy you the extra time you need. You'll feel much worse if someone rush's you into surgery, and you end up with more pain then before you go in. It can happen!

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 19:59 (084925)

I would find out if he has alot of experience in doing heel spur surgery. Find out if he is trained in doing heel spur surgery. Talk to some of his patients that had heel spur surgery and find out how they did following the surgery. That can be very helpful. Heel spur surgery is not very complicated. He your Podiatrist has been surgically trained, I am sure he is fully qualified to do the surgery for you. You shouldn't be discouraged with you doctor because the conervative treatment failed. I hope this helps you.

DR Zuckerman on 5/22/02 at 20:13 (084931)

Hi

That is the six million dollar question. You can check board certification, age of doctor, recommendation of family, friends and your general medical doctor. Ask you doctor how many of these procedures have you done. I would first look into ESWT before plantar fascia/heel spur surgery . Be happy to talk to you about it. One of the advantages of using this board is after you talk to your podiatrist about what he or she is going to do you have this board to discuss this with and of course Dr. Z

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 17:37 (085022)

Hi Trudy,

I noticed how much time you spent walking on concrete floors at work? Are you going to be able to take some time off after surgery, to heal? If not, you could be setting yourself up for failure. You will want to ask this question to the doctor you choose. It's probably going to be a longer period than you think.

Also, please have your nerves tested for TTS. So many people have had that problem after a normal PF surgery, which means more surgery. Good kuck, but I'd put it off as long as possible, too many failures!

BrianG, not a doc

PS Changing jobs is preferable to failed heel surgery, in my opinion.

Trudy on 5/23/02 at 17:52 (085024)

Thank you so much for your responses.You don't know how much this message board has meant to helping me make a decision!I am going to check out ESWT and talk to my pod.I wished insurance companies covered it , I haven't checked mine yet,but it sounds like most don't.I just know I can't go on much longer like this,I am in terrible pain.Thank you again, I am really gratefull for your help!

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 21:17 (085038)

Trudy, if your a candidate for ESWT, ask for it by all means. If they turn you down, file an appeal. It everyone does this, they will have to give in sooner, or later.

Good luck
BrianG

PS You mght want to think about taking long acting pain meds for awhile, if you can't stand the pain any longer. It could buy you the extra time you need. You'll feel much worse if someone rush's you into surgery, and you end up with more pain then before you go in. It can happen!