Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Golfers!

Posted by R C on 5/23/02 at 00:04 (084959)

An earlier exchange with BrianH brought up the subject of golf, which I would like to pursue further. For those of you golfers with PF and flat feet, would you say that you could play a round (with cart) and not aggravate your injury? If not, how long after you were pain-free did you return to playing?

I haven't played for a while, since I felt that the weight-shift and push-off parts of my swing were putting a strain on my injured foot. I am now pain-free, but have been advised by Dr. to go easy on the feet for a while (a year!). When I start up golf again, I plan to stretch out well, tape my foot, and use a cart. I might be able to hold off until September, when the cool autumn days will sing their siren song...

Re: not a golfer YET, but......

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 11:47 (084990)

I'm not a golfer yet, but I feel like one. Your mention of the cool autumn days and the siren song sure brings up pleasant thoughts.

My big brother is retired and loves golf, and wants to move to one of those gated 'golf communities' in Florida or elsewhere in the South later this year. My dream is to move near to him when I finally retire, and we could play golf together several times a week. He says that with a golf handicap we could do that even though we would have differing levels of ability. I haven't played since I was a teen, but I know how much fun it is and I know that the exercise will be good for me.

So, I've been spending almost all my spare time this week doing internet searches on golf communities. We plan to meet in Florida this July, to check out some of them and see what's available in his price range. If we play any golf in July, I will do like you... stretching out, wearing good supportive shoes and maybe orthotics or else taping, and icing that night. I probably won't use a cart because I think I'm a little further along in the healing process maybe.

I don't think golf will aggravate my PF injuries in July; I've been pretty much pain free since late March, and I have gradually resumed normal life. I haven't worn my orthotics at all since April 10th. I think the reason why I can get away with that, is that my PF are essentially healed and were due more to a sports injury than due to problems with my gait. Also, I have only had PF since Sept. 22nd, 2001. Since your doctor says you should take it easy for a year, maybe your recovery will take longer due to either having it longer, or having some gait problems, or some other factor.

I think that by the time I retire, PF will be just an ugly memory and I will probably be ready to golf every day or two if I want to. I will always wear supportive shoes.

Carole C

Re: not a golfer YET, but......

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 11:47 (084990)

I'm not a golfer yet, but I feel like one. Your mention of the cool autumn days and the siren song sure brings up pleasant thoughts.

My big brother is retired and loves golf, and wants to move to one of those gated 'golf communities' in Florida or elsewhere in the South later this year. My dream is to move near to him when I finally retire, and we could play golf together several times a week. He says that with a golf handicap we could do that even though we would have differing levels of ability. I haven't played since I was a teen, but I know how much fun it is and I know that the exercise will be good for me.

So, I've been spending almost all my spare time this week doing internet searches on golf communities. We plan to meet in Florida this July, to check out some of them and see what's available in his price range. If we play any golf in July, I will do like you... stretching out, wearing good supportive shoes and maybe orthotics or else taping, and icing that night. I probably won't use a cart because I think I'm a little further along in the healing process maybe.

I don't think golf will aggravate my PF injuries in July; I've been pretty much pain free since late March, and I have gradually resumed normal life. I haven't worn my orthotics at all since April 10th. I think the reason why I can get away with that, is that my PF are essentially healed and were due more to a sports injury than due to problems with my gait. Also, I have only had PF since Sept. 22nd, 2001. Since your doctor says you should take it easy for a year, maybe your recovery will take longer due to either having it longer, or having some gait problems, or some other factor.

I think that by the time I retire, PF will be just an ugly memory and I will probably be ready to golf every day or two if I want to. I will always wear supportive shoes.

Carole C