Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Janet,Brian , Laurie, others that have helped

Posted by Tammie on 5/23/02 at 08:12 (084972)

I need to thank you for the special help and the knowledge of this RSD , Laurie and you are certainly teaching me some things about it and the meds and the Next steps. By the way I get a nerve test next wed. Does this hurt someone who has this rsd?

I am pretty worried as I dont like the idea of this hurting me more then already does. I go on Wed for that. Any advice would be accepted with alot of appreciation~ I am scared as usual of the unknown, with this rsd It makes me more worried as I fear any more pain. I am finding the oxyc is not as helpful as I wished and the percocet helps with sleeppppppppp but I dont want to be snowed.No adverse effects from the neurontin yet so happy about that. I will see my pain Dr. for the emg I believe he said he will be there or maybe he is doing it??? I am not sure. Take care and to all thanks again. I wanted to reply to all letters but cant right now soon tho!

Re: Janet,Brian , Laurie, others that have helped

Janet C on 5/23/02 at 11:21 (084987)

Tammie, Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure exactly what type of nerve test that your Dr. is planning on giving you?

I've had an EMG/NCV test, and it was only mildly uncomfortable. But I've heard others complain that it was excessively painful. I think it can depend on the experience of the Dr. who's performing the test. It seems like your Dr. understands RSD, so I would think he would be gentle with any tests he'd request of you.

You could post a question about this on the MGH Braintalk RSD Forum:

http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=80&SUBMIT=Go

Or, you could click on Search, and type EMG in, and you can search their archives for previous discussions about EMG tests. You can read a lot of information about others' experiences that way.

Wishing you the best, always ~ Janet

Re: Oxy's, good long acting med!!

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 17:13 (085018)

Hi Tammie,

Try not to worry about these upcoming tests. You've aready been through worse. I've had two EMG's and while they wern't painless, when it was over, I was fine. Don't worry about the OxyContin. You are just starting, and everyone gets to start at a low dose. The doc is making sure your body can tolerate it. Stay with him, and and the meds. This is going to take a little while, but your now on the path to some pain relief. It won't happen overnight, but trust me, they are going in the right direction. Rest, if you can, and keep some notes for your new pain doc. You'll be feeling much better soon.

BrianG

Lisa G on 5/23/02 at 18:11 (085026)

hi tammie,
i'm not janet, brian or laurie...but i wanted to tell you about my nerve test...i had an EMG and it wasn't so bad...have had accupuncture? the needles are very slender like those...

i'm new to this board...what is RSD? and what all are you seeing your pain doc for?

i take neurontin and found it helped me a lot...i also take a combination of vicodin and a duragesic patch...those are the only things that have helped even take the edge off my pain...

good luck with your EMG...i don't think you'll find it too difficult to deal with..

lisa

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:42 (085085)

I have had had EMG test on both feet an on both hands (neck problem some years ago). I had no problem with any of them. Piece of cake. Do not worry. Accupuncture was a lot worse than EMG test.

Re: Thank u John

Tammie on 5/24/02 at 10:47 (085093)

I thank u as I know I am going to do it to get better, but I hate needels unless they are in arm or butt LOlwhen they say near the spine the first thing I think of is the spinals and epidurals I had for my c sections and I did not like that at all. I would have forgone all of that if only the babies would come out in this world, that is when I knew raising children was not going to be pain free hahahah! Only if I knew it was going to be worse then spinal pain lol.Thanks alot as I know some may be repeated to me but for some reason I have this desease CRS that is what my hubby tells me is my whole problem lol ! Thanks again

Lisa G on 5/25/02 at 11:11 (085188)

tammie,
i just had a spinal tap...and oh my goodness...the emg was NOTHING like that!

good luck!

lisa

Janet C on 5/23/02 at 11:21 (084987)

Tammie, Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure exactly what type of nerve test that your Dr. is planning on giving you?

I've had an EMG/NCV test, and it was only mildly uncomfortable. But I've heard others complain that it was excessively painful. I think it can depend on the experience of the Dr. who's performing the test. It seems like your Dr. understands RSD, so I would think he would be gentle with any tests he'd request of you.

You could post a question about this on the MGH Braintalk RSD Forum:

http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=80&SUBMIT=Go

Or, you could click on Search, and type EMG in, and you can search their archives for previous discussions about EMG tests. You can read a lot of information about others' experiences that way.

Wishing you the best, always ~ Janet

Re: Oxy's, good long acting med!!

BrianG on 5/23/02 at 17:13 (085018)

Hi Tammie,

Try not to worry about these upcoming tests. You've aready been through worse. I've had two EMG's and while they wern't painless, when it was over, I was fine. Don't worry about the OxyContin. You are just starting, and everyone gets to start at a low dose. The doc is making sure your body can tolerate it. Stay with him, and and the meds. This is going to take a little while, but your now on the path to some pain relief. It won't happen overnight, but trust me, they are going in the right direction. Rest, if you can, and keep some notes for your new pain doc. You'll be feeling much better soon.

BrianG

Lisa G on 5/23/02 at 18:11 (085026)

hi tammie,
i'm not janet, brian or laurie...but i wanted to tell you about my nerve test...i had an EMG and it wasn't so bad...have had accupuncture? the needles are very slender like those...

i'm new to this board...what is RSD? and what all are you seeing your pain doc for?

i take neurontin and found it helped me a lot...i also take a combination of vicodin and a duragesic patch...those are the only things that have helped even take the edge off my pain...

good luck with your EMG...i don't think you'll find it too difficult to deal with..

lisa

john h on 5/24/02 at 09:42 (085085)

I have had had EMG test on both feet an on both hands (neck problem some years ago). I had no problem with any of them. Piece of cake. Do not worry. Accupuncture was a lot worse than EMG test.

Tammie on 5/24/02 at 10:47 (085093)

I thank u as I know I am going to do it to get better, but I hate needels unless they are in arm or butt LOlwhen they say near the spine the first thing I think of is the spinals and epidurals I had for my c sections and I did not like that at all. I would have forgone all of that if only the babies would come out in this world, that is when I knew raising children was not going to be pain free hahahah! Only if I knew it was going to be worse then spinal pain lol.Thanks alot as I know some may be repeated to me but for some reason I have this desease CRS that is what my hubby tells me is my whole problem lol ! Thanks again

Lisa G on 5/25/02 at 11:11 (085188)

tammie,
i just had a spinal tap...and oh my goodness...the emg was NOTHING like that!

good luck!

lisa