Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Spine Problem Causing Both Foot Pain AND Tailbone Pain?

Posted by Mike S. on 5/24/02 at 00:55 (085050)

I saw a big gun podiatrist who thought a back problem could be causing burning, aches in both soles of the feet. I wonder how many people who have been diagnosed with bilateral TTS actually have a spine problem causing their foot pain?

I have seen a couple 'big gun' podiatrists & neurologists over last 2 1/2 years with no solution and doc's disagree. That's why I had to try the TT release in hopes it would work. I'm recovering from a May 3rd surgery & I don't have any idea when I will know if it was a success.

Re: Spine Problem Causing Both Foot Pain AND Tailbone Pain?

Missy B on 5/24/02 at 20:19 (085150)

Hi Mike - I am 17 weeks post PF/TT release surgery and I consider myself about 80% improved over my pre-surgery pain. I have talked personally to a few people who have had this surgery and they all had different healing times, so don't rush yourself. I still have some soreness in the heal area, but no more pain up the back of my leg or numbness. I had 4 weeks of physical therapy which helped restore strength and flexibiliy to my foot.
I returned to work after 9 weeks off and can now spend most of my day walking around almost pain free. Standing in one place for long periods is still the worst for me, but not a bad as before the surgery.
I don't know about the relationship between back and foot problems, but I based my decision for surgery on the fact that my nerve conduction study was positive for TTS - I saw the graph printouts myself - and that all the conservative treatments that my pod tried had failed to give me any relief. I don't know if a spine problem could cause a nerve conduction test to be positive or not, but I do know that a foot problem can cause back problems because of the way you alter your posture and your gait in order to take the pressure off the painful area of the foot.
Best of luck to you in your recovery - please keep us posted as to your progress and remember - Have patience and give yourself time to heal - it does not always happen as fast as we would like.

Sharon W on 5/26/02 at 12:42 (085289)

Mike,

My podiatrist was concerned that I might have a problem in my back, too. She sent me to a neurologist to rule out back and/or sciatic nerve problems. I told the neuro that (since apparently the only thing she had written him was the diagnoses of TTS and PF) and he assured me that the routine nerve tests for TTS would rule it out. I don't know how 'good' this neurologist is; I wasn't particularly impressed by him and I've never gone back, but I guess I have no particular reason to doubt his professional opinion.

Frustrating, isn't it, when you get different opinions from different doctors?

-- Sharon

Diana on 5/28/02 at 22:03 (085550)

I also have foot and tailbone pain and have had it for going on 4 yrs. i went to several doctors who told me there was no connection. i finally had surgery for tts and it didn't help a bit. I am so disgusted that I will probably not see any more doctors. I have felt from the beginning my problems in both of my feet were caused by my spine. I have several bulging discs in my back. Diana

Barbara S on 5/29/02 at 09:57 (085599)

Hi Diana I too have bulging Discs in my lower back L4 L5 and S1 or something like that. I believe also that my back problems caused my feet trouble, but I haven't talked this over with my docs. I'm hoping the tts surgery is less painfull than back surgery though. Good Luck and God Bless.
Barbara S.

Mike S. on 5/29/02 at 23:19 (085717)

I am 4 weeks TT release post-op & I'm not even cautiously optimistic at this point in time. I know it can take time, but I have my doubts. We sound like a special group, I remember hearing about L5-S1 on my MRI. I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where do you people live? Do you have problems in both feet? Does it only happen with walking? We should compare notes to see how much similarity we have in our taibone pain/foot pain. I thought I was unique.

Diana on 5/30/02 at 11:32 (085772)

At L-5,S-1 I have a disc that never developed completely and I was told by a doctor this is pretty common but people with this are prone to back problems.. Also concentric bulging at L-4/L-5 and also T-11,12 and T-12,L-1 and L-3 and4. I have problems in both feet but the left one started hurting about 6 months before the right one did. The right foot hurts worse and doesn't hurt only when I walk. Have sharp pains in it when sit†ing sometimes. I went to a Pain Clinic once and had 3 cortizone shots in my S-I joint and it seemed to help the foot and tailbone problems some but not completely. Nuerotin must help my problem. I took myself off of it for awhile (I hate taking pills) and I felt worse. I am almost 57, live in Washington state, and my feet started hurting about 4 years ago after a week long hiking trip and a fall off of a bike that I never saw a doctor for. I try not to sit for too long or stand still for too long. I've given up hiking and am currently not working but hope to return to work before too long. ( I have stand-up jobs). Diana

Missy B on 5/24/02 at 20:19 (085150)

Hi Mike - I am 17 weeks post PF/TT release surgery and I consider myself about 80% improved over my pre-surgery pain. I have talked personally to a few people who have had this surgery and they all had different healing times, so don't rush yourself. I still have some soreness in the heal area, but no more pain up the back of my leg or numbness. I had 4 weeks of physical therapy which helped restore strength and flexibiliy to my foot.
I returned to work after 9 weeks off and can now spend most of my day walking around almost pain free. Standing in one place for long periods is still the worst for me, but not a bad as before the surgery.
I don't know about the relationship between back and foot problems, but I based my decision for surgery on the fact that my nerve conduction study was positive for TTS - I saw the graph printouts myself - and that all the conservative treatments that my pod tried had failed to give me any relief. I don't know if a spine problem could cause a nerve conduction test to be positive or not, but I do know that a foot problem can cause back problems because of the way you alter your posture and your gait in order to take the pressure off the painful area of the foot.
Best of luck to you in your recovery - please keep us posted as to your progress and remember - Have patience and give yourself time to heal - it does not always happen as fast as we would like.

Sharon W on 5/26/02 at 12:42 (085289)

Mike,

My podiatrist was concerned that I might have a problem in my back, too. She sent me to a neurologist to rule out back and/or sciatic nerve problems. I told the neuro that (since apparently the only thing she had written him was the diagnoses of TTS and PF) and he assured me that the routine nerve tests for TTS would rule it out. I don't know how 'good' this neurologist is; I wasn't particularly impressed by him and I've never gone back, but I guess I have no particular reason to doubt his professional opinion.

Frustrating, isn't it, when you get different opinions from different doctors?

-- Sharon

Diana on 5/28/02 at 22:03 (085550)

I also have foot and tailbone pain and have had it for going on 4 yrs. i went to several doctors who told me there was no connection. i finally had surgery for tts and it didn't help a bit. I am so disgusted that I will probably not see any more doctors. I have felt from the beginning my problems in both of my feet were caused by my spine. I have several bulging discs in my back. Diana

Barbara S on 5/29/02 at 09:57 (085599)

Hi Diana I too have bulging Discs in my lower back L4 L5 and S1 or something like that. I believe also that my back problems caused my feet trouble, but I haven't talked this over with my docs. I'm hoping the tts surgery is less painfull than back surgery though. Good Luck and God Bless.
Barbara S.

Mike S. on 5/29/02 at 23:19 (085717)

I am 4 weeks TT release post-op & I'm not even cautiously optimistic at this point in time. I know it can take time, but I have my doubts. We sound like a special group, I remember hearing about L5-S1 on my MRI. I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where do you people live? Do you have problems in both feet? Does it only happen with walking? We should compare notes to see how much similarity we have in our taibone pain/foot pain. I thought I was unique.

Diana on 5/30/02 at 11:32 (085772)

At L-5,S-1 I have a disc that never developed completely and I was told by a doctor this is pretty common but people with this are prone to back problems.. Also concentric bulging at L-4/L-5 and also T-11,12 and T-12,L-1 and L-3 and4. I have problems in both feet but the left one started hurting about 6 months before the right one did. The right foot hurts worse and doesn't hurt only when I walk. Have sharp pains in it when sit†ing sometimes. I went to a Pain Clinic once and had 3 cortizone shots in my S-I joint and it seemed to help the foot and tailbone problems some but not completely. Nuerotin must help my problem. I took myself off of it for awhile (I hate taking pills) and I felt worse. I am almost 57, live in Washington state, and my feet started hurting about 4 years ago after a week long hiking trip and a fall off of a bike that I never saw a doctor for. I try not to sit for too long or stand still for too long. I've given up hiking and am currently not working but hope to return to work before too long. ( I have stand-up jobs). Diana