Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long do patients stay in an aircast or cam walker?

Posted by lisa k on 5/24/02 at 02:49 (085056)

I was told a maxium of 8 week,(it seems the tear/almost complete detachment of my medial plantar fascia is healing because there is no more pain at that insertion point),is immobilization with soft casts still reccomended??
BUT ,now it feels like i'm lacking something inside ,support-wise, in my foot. It is moving differently and NOW for the very first time have pain in 4 toes, running along lateral edge and over top, to heel, ANYideas why or what you suggest to your patients??
I have a VERY tight calf muscle now( after 8weeks of basically non-use) and am in gentle PT ,but very fearful to stretch, thinking it cause more damage or another rare tear/detachment because I still don't understand how that could have happened to me as I'm NOT a football player or anything??
Totally confused about my future outcome. Have you seen patients like this become painfree?? thanks

Re: How long do patients stay in an aircast or cam walker?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/24/02 at 05:32 (085063)

Hi Lisa K:

Yes patients can become pain free. You have had the equivalent of surgery. Give it time to heal. This is also common that you fel a different type of discomfort now. You will not feel insertional pain anymore but some patient's report mid band pain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

lisa k on 5/26/02 at 20:42 (085322)

Thank You,Dr Cozzarelli for your response,have a great day, lisa

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/24/02 at 05:32 (085063)

Hi Lisa K:

Yes patients can become pain free. You have had the equivalent of surgery. Give it time to heal. This is also common that you fel a different type of discomfort now. You will not feel insertional pain anymore but some patient's report mid band pain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

lisa k on 5/26/02 at 20:42 (085322)

Thank You,Dr Cozzarelli for your response,have a great day, lisa