Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning

Posted by Ashley S. on 5/24/02 at 13:55 (085112)

Hi....one foot is now burning at the heel and middle of foot while resting. Am I getting worse?? I am tired of this.

Ashley

Re: hammertoes

Sabrina B. on 5/24/02 at 13:59 (085114)

i am wandering if there's any other method besides surgery to straiten my toes when i where open to shoes. please help.

Carmen on 5/24/02 at 19:31 (085144)

Sabrina post seperately on this board to the doctors.

Re: Burning feet

Ashley S. on 5/24/02 at 22:18 (085166)

I think my question got caught up in someone else's post. I really would like to know if I am really damaging my foot - with this new pain, a burning even at rest. I have ordered my Birkenstocks because I haven't found any other shoe that I can really wear. Thanks again.

Ashley

Carmen on 5/25/02 at 14:02 (085202)

I don't know your history and I am not a doc but can offer a word of advice from a PF sufferer....if you have PF...burning seems to happen to alot of us that have PF sitting or not. The inflammation can cause pressure on those nerves.
If Birks work for you keep wearing them. Try the shoes part of this board for good advice on other shoes. New Balance are good as well.
Do not go barefoot.
Keep icing...the inflammation should eventually subside.

Re: Carmen, Ashley: burning feet

Sharon W on 5/25/02 at 23:47 (085233)

Ashley & Carmen,

I have seen quite a few references to burning at the bottoms of people's feet from posters who have plantar facaetis (PF) and nothing else. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome (TTS) as well as PF but still I always figured that most of the burning I felt at night was because of PF. It appears that I was wrong; when I started taking Neurontin at night, I stopped waking up with burning feet -- and when I reported this to my pod, she said burning usually indicates a nerve problem, and Neurontin wouldn't have helped unless it WAS a nerve problem, so if it went away when I started taking Neurontin the burning was from TTS.

It's kind of confusing, isn't it? This is something you should talk about with your doctor; he/she can figure out what's going on with the burning. Don't just ASSUME that it comes from inflammation due to plantar facaetis; there might be an undiagnosed nerve problem that needs attention.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/26/02 at 19:18 (085313)

I had all nerve tests done and took neurontin....nothing showed up on tests and the neurontin didn't do a thing for me. So PF was the culprit.
TESTS are smart...a lot of people here have PF had tests and burning. Negative tests...still burning feet.
Go figure.

Sharon W on 5/26/02 at 20:29 (085320)

Carmen,

I didn't mean to imply that PF cannot cause burning, because I know many people have written saying that is one of their symptoms for PF. I just meant to say that I have found it very confusing because TTS and PF can (and do) cause MANY of the same symptoms. I have gotten quite frustrated at times, trying to sort out WHICH problem is causing which symptom.

Yes, nerve conduction tests are very valuable in ruling in or out TTS but in the early stages it appears they may sometimes come out negative even though a nerve compression problem is developing. Even when appropriate nerve studies have been done I still don't think there is any substitute to an examination by an experienced, qualified diagnostician -- probably a pod or orthopod.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 08:19 (085335)

Gosh do I know what you mean about frustration. I was ALWAYS going between the two .....'Do I have TTS or is it just PF???'
ugh...some of the more awful times of this monster were those days. Some days I think I just thought I had TTS b/c I wanted an answer....so you are VERY correct in the need for testing even if just for peace of mind.

Sharon W on 5/27/02 at 19:19 (085386)

Carmen,

I think a major part of this whole foot pain thing is the quest for peace of mind (You know -- is my diagnosis correct? ...Could there be something 'they' haven't found yet? Should I have more tests done? Do I need to go to a different Dr.? Should I have surgery, or wait?... ETC.)

-- Sharon

Sabrina B. on 5/24/02 at 13:59 (085114)

i am wandering if there's any other method besides surgery to straiten my toes when i where open to shoes. please help.

Carmen on 5/24/02 at 19:31 (085144)

Sabrina post seperately on this board to the doctors.

Ashley S. on 5/24/02 at 22:18 (085166)

I think my question got caught up in someone else's post. I really would like to know if I am really damaging my foot - with this new pain, a burning even at rest. I have ordered my Birkenstocks because I haven't found any other shoe that I can really wear. Thanks again.

Ashley

Carmen on 5/25/02 at 14:02 (085202)

I don't know your history and I am not a doc but can offer a word of advice from a PF sufferer....if you have PF...burning seems to happen to alot of us that have PF sitting or not. The inflammation can cause pressure on those nerves.
If Birks work for you keep wearing them. Try the shoes part of this board for good advice on other shoes. New Balance are good as well.
Do not go barefoot.
Keep icing...the inflammation should eventually subside.

Sharon W on 5/25/02 at 23:47 (085233)

Ashley & Carmen,

I have seen quite a few references to burning at the bottoms of people's feet from posters who have plantar facaetis (PF) and nothing else. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome (TTS) as well as PF but still I always figured that most of the burning I felt at night was because of PF. It appears that I was wrong; when I started taking Neurontin at night, I stopped waking up with burning feet -- and when I reported this to my pod, she said burning usually indicates a nerve problem, and Neurontin wouldn't have helped unless it WAS a nerve problem, so if it went away when I started taking Neurontin the burning was from TTS.

It's kind of confusing, isn't it? This is something you should talk about with your doctor; he/she can figure out what's going on with the burning. Don't just ASSUME that it comes from inflammation due to plantar facaetis; there might be an undiagnosed nerve problem that needs attention.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/26/02 at 19:18 (085313)

I had all nerve tests done and took neurontin....nothing showed up on tests and the neurontin didn't do a thing for me. So PF was the culprit.
TESTS are smart...a lot of people here have PF had tests and burning. Negative tests...still burning feet.
Go figure.

Sharon W on 5/26/02 at 20:29 (085320)

Carmen,

I didn't mean to imply that PF cannot cause burning, because I know many people have written saying that is one of their symptoms for PF. I just meant to say that I have found it very confusing because TTS and PF can (and do) cause MANY of the same symptoms. I have gotten quite frustrated at times, trying to sort out WHICH problem is causing which symptom.

Yes, nerve conduction tests are very valuable in ruling in or out TTS but in the early stages it appears they may sometimes come out negative even though a nerve compression problem is developing. Even when appropriate nerve studies have been done I still don't think there is any substitute to an examination by an experienced, qualified diagnostician -- probably a pod or orthopod.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 08:19 (085335)

Gosh do I know what you mean about frustration. I was ALWAYS going between the two .....'Do I have TTS or is it just PF???'
ugh...some of the more awful times of this monster were those days. Some days I think I just thought I had TTS b/c I wanted an answer....so you are VERY correct in the need for testing even if just for peace of mind.

Sharon W on 5/27/02 at 19:19 (085386)

Carmen,

I think a major part of this whole foot pain thing is the quest for peace of mind (You know -- is my diagnosis correct? ...Could there be something 'they' haven't found yet? Should I have more tests done? Do I need to go to a different Dr.? Should I have surgery, or wait?... ETC.)

-- Sharon