Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

falling arch

Posted by Linda R on 5/24/02 at 20:07 (085147)

Two years ago I brought my (then 10 year old ) daughter to the foot Doctor because she ran flat footed on the basketball court, and I thought she might have a problem with her feet since her brother has flat feet. The Doctor fitted her with orthonics. She has worn them faithfully and I see no difference in her feet. She has no pain and she does have an arch somewhat until she stands and it disappears. My questions is this. Will this ever be corrected with orthonics, and if she does not wear them will it hurt her. She doesnt want to wear them anymore, and before I approve of this I wanted some other advice. Please help . Thank you Linda

Re: falling arch

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:23 (085152)

Think of orthotics like eyeglasses. Correction is present only while they are being used. They key is that she is running better without pain and that injuries are being prevented.

Orthotics utilized from about ages 3 to 7 will actually allow one to see a permanent change in the structure and function of the feet. A large portion of my pracitce is podopediatrics so I really like to be able to see patients in that time period to make the changes.
Ed

Terri on 5/29/02 at 18:31 (085657)

Have you considered the possibility that this patient has an accessory navicular bone which is causing the 'flat foot' only while standing? My daughter had the same condition and later (after an injury) she had an MRI and they discovered the accessory navicular bone.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:23 (085152)

Think of orthotics like eyeglasses. Correction is present only while they are being used. They key is that she is running better without pain and that injuries are being prevented.

Orthotics utilized from about ages 3 to 7 will actually allow one to see a permanent change in the structure and function of the feet. A large portion of my pracitce is podopediatrics so I really like to be able to see patients in that time period to make the changes.
Ed

Terri on 5/29/02 at 18:31 (085657)

Have you considered the possibility that this patient has an accessory navicular bone which is causing the 'flat foot' only while standing? My daughter had the same condition and later (after an injury) she had an MRI and they discovered the accessory navicular bone.