Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calcium

Posted by paula on 5/25/02 at 16:08 (085209)

why calcium carbonate/ ? my doc told me to take calcium citrate for better absorption for my osteoporosis. why such a large dose? did a doctor tell you to take that much// ? i am interested cause i have to build my bones too.

Re: calcium

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/29/02 at 22:45 (085715)

Calcium carbonate is the type of calcium found in chalk. It is inorganic and somewhat difficult to assimilate although still a usable form of calcium.

Calcium citrate is easier for the body to absorb than calcium carbonate.
Ed

eileenc on 5/30/02 at 13:42 (085787)

I saw a study on Medline that said that it did not matter what form you took your calcium in ; that the absorption rates were practically the same. Surprised me!!

It also said that you should not take more than 500 mg at a time because the body could not absorb more that that at a time. suggested you take it 3 times a day (women).

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/31/02 at 22:05 (085964)

Other studies suggest a differential in absorbtion based on differing forms of calcium. Keep in mind that the 'rate limiting factor' may be hormonal influences in the body's utilization of calcium. Once there is an adequate intake of calcium, the important factor is how the body utilizes the calcium. It is possible to have adequate calcium intake but still have osteoporosis due to the manner in which the body handles the calcium absorbed.
Ed

Re: osteoporosis, green tea and thanks dr ed

paula on 6/08/02 at 11:37 (086772)

thanks for your clarification dr ed. just read some studies. green tea seems to help osteoporosis. fresh lemon in it makes it taste better. i also am going to an endocrinologist to see what bone building tricks he has up his sleeve. i hear tell there is a new med coming out called forteo that actually builds new bone in menopausal women. aslo read a study about ten minutes of vibration a day making old bones stronger. maybe i should sit on the washing machine.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/02 at 13:00 (086777)

Paula:

There are now lots of new treatments for osteoporosis. Miacalcin nasal spray is synthetic calcitonin, the hormone responsible for depositing calcium in bones. Before this, estrogen replacement therapy was popular but not without side effects.

A natural means of increasing calcitonin secretion is exercise-- repetitive loading of bones causes the body to respond by attempting to reinforce the bone structure so the vibration issue makes sense. I would be curious to compare vibration to the effects of a good walking progam though.
Ed

paula on 6/08/02 at 15:59 (086786)

i went to google and typed in vibration bone. you as a doctor would be better able to understand the article than me. seemed to me that vibration makes bones stronger yet does not increase bone mineral density in rats whose ovaries are removed. as far as i can tell by researching, calcitonin, estrogen and fosamax help retain bone in mmenopausal women but do not grow new bone. am i wrong?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 16:21 (087338)

Bone is a living tissue, always growing and breaking down. As such the subatances you mentioned are essentially promoting new bone formation.

The term 'mineral density' refers to the deposition of calcium ( a mineral) in bone as oppsosed tho the cellular growth (more protein related). Mineral density is what gives bone hardness.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/29/02 at 22:45 (085715)

Calcium carbonate is the type of calcium found in chalk. It is inorganic and somewhat difficult to assimilate although still a usable form of calcium.

Calcium citrate is easier for the body to absorb than calcium carbonate.
Ed

eileenc on 5/30/02 at 13:42 (085787)

I saw a study on Medline that said that it did not matter what form you took your calcium in ; that the absorption rates were practically the same. Surprised me!!

It also said that you should not take more than 500 mg at a time because the body could not absorb more that that at a time. suggested you take it 3 times a day (women).

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/31/02 at 22:05 (085964)

Other studies suggest a differential in absorbtion based on differing forms of calcium. Keep in mind that the 'rate limiting factor' may be hormonal influences in the body's utilization of calcium. Once there is an adequate intake of calcium, the important factor is how the body utilizes the calcium. It is possible to have adequate calcium intake but still have osteoporosis due to the manner in which the body handles the calcium absorbed.
Ed

paula on 6/08/02 at 11:37 (086772)

thanks for your clarification dr ed. just read some studies. green tea seems to help osteoporosis. fresh lemon in it makes it taste better. i also am going to an endocrinologist to see what bone building tricks he has up his sleeve. i hear tell there is a new med coming out called forteo that actually builds new bone in menopausal women. aslo read a study about ten minutes of vibration a day making old bones stronger. maybe i should sit on the washing machine.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/02 at 13:00 (086777)

Paula:

There are now lots of new treatments for osteoporosis. Miacalcin nasal spray is synthetic calcitonin, the hormone responsible for depositing calcium in bones. Before this, estrogen replacement therapy was popular but not without side effects.

A natural means of increasing calcitonin secretion is exercise-- repetitive loading of bones causes the body to respond by attempting to reinforce the bone structure so the vibration issue makes sense. I would be curious to compare vibration to the effects of a good walking progam though.
Ed

paula on 6/08/02 at 15:59 (086786)

i went to google and typed in vibration bone. you as a doctor would be better able to understand the article than me. seemed to me that vibration makes bones stronger yet does not increase bone mineral density in rats whose ovaries are removed. as far as i can tell by researching, calcitonin, estrogen and fosamax help retain bone in mmenopausal women but do not grow new bone. am i wrong?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 16:21 (087338)

Bone is a living tissue, always growing and breaking down. As such the subatances you mentioned are essentially promoting new bone formation.

The term 'mineral density' refers to the deposition of calcium ( a mineral) in bone as oppsosed tho the cellular growth (more protein related). Mineral density is what gives bone hardness.
Ed