Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to ESWT or not to ESWT that is the question

Posted by Carolyn F. on 5/26/02 at 00:24 (085241)

I have all the info I need on ESWT, yet I am still so scared to do it. What if Im not one of those people that can go back to work after a few days.[Im a waitress and do not get paid while im out] What if Im the 20% that the procedure doesnt work for. What if if gets worse - which I couldnt bear - I cry with the pain now. Anyone got any advice - PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Re: to ESWT or not to ESWT that is the question

Mar on 5/26/02 at 07:25 (085269)

Carolyn -

I understand your fears and worries -- I was in the same boat. For me the key was -- I cry with pain now -- I felt what other choice did i have, nothing else was working. I had to take the risk. I had the ESWT 5 days ago. The day after for me was very painful and difficult to walk (i took the day off from work); now I am back to my regular pain. I cannot imagine how you can waitress with PF -- I would not be able to do that. I am barely able to do food shopping. The machine that my ESWT was performed with has a 92% success rate / 8% it doesn;t work for -- better odds than your 20%. So now I wait and hope that I am in the 92%! Good luck with your decision -- I feel for you -- Mar

Carolyn F. on 5/26/02 at 13:06 (085292)

Thanks Mar - we'll see, I'll let you know. As far as dealing with the PF and waitressing. I have had the pain for so many years that it is a part of my everyday life. I get frequent foot massages from my hubby and do hot soaks and icing. But it is really is at an alltime worse now, thats why I'm looking at the ESWT. Good luck with your recovery. I would be interested to know how you are in the next few weeks. (email removed)
Take care Carolyn F.

Pete R on 5/26/02 at 13:44 (085297)

Having has ESWT 3 weeks ago I can tell you I was a little sore the day after but have been fine since, although pain level hasn't improved....yet, I hope !!

Go for it there appears to be no down side

Mar on 5/26/02 at 16:58 (085304)

I've sent you my email address, Carolyn, so you can check with me in a few weeks, when hopefully I will be able to report that the pain is diminishing! Mar

Mar on 5/26/02 at 17:06 (085307)

The email I tried to send you was returned, Carolyn, saying your eros is no longer valid. Mar

carolyn F. on 5/28/02 at 01:49 (085412)

Mar, its (email removed) i think you forgot the l. Thanks Carolyn

Mar on 5/26/02 at 07:25 (085269)

Carolyn -

I understand your fears and worries -- I was in the same boat. For me the key was -- I cry with pain now -- I felt what other choice did i have, nothing else was working. I had to take the risk. I had the ESWT 5 days ago. The day after for me was very painful and difficult to walk (i took the day off from work); now I am back to my regular pain. I cannot imagine how you can waitress with PF -- I would not be able to do that. I am barely able to do food shopping. The machine that my ESWT was performed with has a 92% success rate / 8% it doesn;t work for -- better odds than your 20%. So now I wait and hope that I am in the 92%! Good luck with your decision -- I feel for you -- Mar

Carolyn F. on 5/26/02 at 13:06 (085292)

Thanks Mar - we'll see, I'll let you know. As far as dealing with the PF and waitressing. I have had the pain for so many years that it is a part of my everyday life. I get frequent foot massages from my hubby and do hot soaks and icing. But it is really is at an alltime worse now, thats why I'm looking at the ESWT. Good luck with your recovery. I would be interested to know how you are in the next few weeks. (email removed)
Take care Carolyn F.

Pete R on 5/26/02 at 13:44 (085297)

Having has ESWT 3 weeks ago I can tell you I was a little sore the day after but have been fine since, although pain level hasn't improved....yet, I hope !!

Go for it there appears to be no down side

Mar on 5/26/02 at 16:58 (085304)

I've sent you my email address, Carolyn, so you can check with me in a few weeks, when hopefully I will be able to report that the pain is diminishing! Mar

Mar on 5/26/02 at 17:06 (085307)

The email I tried to send you was returned, Carolyn, saying your eros is no longer valid. Mar

carolyn F. on 5/28/02 at 01:49 (085412)

Mar, its (email removed) i think you forgot the l. Thanks Carolyn