Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I a canidate for ESWT??

Posted by Christine F on 5/26/02 at 10:29 (085283)

I have had chronic bilateral p.f for 9 months, I am seriously thinking about open release surgery because I was a very active competive runner and at 23yrs old I feel like I am 90. I work sitting in a chair and after work I cannot even take a nice walk around town because of these feet. I was in a wheelchair for a little bit, but orthodics have helped considerably. I have had 4 different opinions and podiatrits, and we have exhausted every conservative measure. My pain is all over the bottom of my feet, arches, pads of feet ect... although the most tender part is my piano tight facisa. Would ESWT help me? My pain is not just in one specific spot?

Re: Am I a canidate for ESWT??

DR Zuckerman on 5/26/02 at 11:50 (085286)

Hi

If there is pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia and I am sure there
is due to the recommendation of a pf release, then ESWT can help you alot We
have done hundreds of ESWT procedures in patients that have the same type of
foot pain. If is very likely that the insertional pain is causing the
problem and forcing you to walk and use other tendons and areas of your
feet. It is very typical to have compensatory pain from insertional plantar
fasciitis. If you would like additional information and an ESWT packet just
e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and we will send you a packet

Sincerely yours

Dr. Z

Christine F on 5/26/02 at 12:00 (085288)

Thanks, I will email for more info :)

Stephanie on 9/30/02 at 07:42 (096498)

Christina - Just wondering if you went thru PF surgery? I have PF as well. I went thru all the conservative treatments for 1 year and then decided on surgery, 1 foot at a time. Nov 21 and Dec 21, 2001. Im still recovering and it's been 10 months. Im not cured yet but are much better than I was before surgery. Before surgery I wore tennis shoes with orthotics all day, every day till I went to bed. I could not walk barefoot and still can't or wear any other shoes because my orthotics did not fit in my dress shoes up till August 2002. Before surgery I only lasted 10-15 mins on my feet till I was in pain and had to get off them and elevate or ice them both. Now after surgery, I am wearing dress shoes with cushion and some arch support but still wearing my orthotics when wearing my tennis shoes and while workingout or on my feet for longer periods of time. I do only last 2 hours on my feet at any given time and then I have enough pain that I have to sit and get off the feet. Ive never heard of ESWT. I'm going to ask my pod. about that today when I go for a check up. Was surgery worth it for me, yes but the recovery for me is taking longer than anticipated. Im getting impatient. I hope at my year mark from surgery I have almost perfect feet. Ive been reading other peoples stories on PF and having surgery and the majority are in better shape than I but a few are still having pains like me.

DR Zuckerman on 5/26/02 at 11:50 (085286)

Hi

If there is pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia and I am sure there
is due to the recommendation of a pf release, then ESWT can help you alot We
have done hundreds of ESWT procedures in patients that have the same type of
foot pain. If is very likely that the insertional pain is causing the
problem and forcing you to walk and use other tendons and areas of your
feet. It is very typical to have compensatory pain from insertional plantar
fasciitis. If you would like additional information and an ESWT packet just
e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and we will send you a packet

Sincerely yours

Dr. Z

Christine F on 5/26/02 at 12:00 (085288)

Thanks, I will email for more info :)

Stephanie on 9/30/02 at 07:42 (096498)

Christina - Just wondering if you went thru PF surgery? I have PF as well. I went thru all the conservative treatments for 1 year and then decided on surgery, 1 foot at a time. Nov 21 and Dec 21, 2001. Im still recovering and it's been 10 months. Im not cured yet but are much better than I was before surgery. Before surgery I wore tennis shoes with orthotics all day, every day till I went to bed. I could not walk barefoot and still can't or wear any other shoes because my orthotics did not fit in my dress shoes up till August 2002. Before surgery I only lasted 10-15 mins on my feet till I was in pain and had to get off them and elevate or ice them both. Now after surgery, I am wearing dress shoes with cushion and some arch support but still wearing my orthotics when wearing my tennis shoes and while workingout or on my feet for longer periods of time. I do only last 2 hours on my feet at any given time and then I have enough pain that I have to sit and get off the feet. Ive never heard of ESWT. I'm going to ask my pod. about that today when I go for a check up. Was surgery worth it for me, yes but the recovery for me is taking longer than anticipated. Im getting impatient. I hope at my year mark from surgery I have almost perfect feet. Ive been reading other peoples stories on PF and having surgery and the majority are in better shape than I but a few are still having pains like me.