Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New foot pain - already dx with PF

Posted by GailP on 5/26/02 at 15:02 (085300)

I have had pain in my left foot for years and have been dx with PF. I have had all the treatments available, except for surgery, and have recently been mostly pain free using orthotics and a night splint. There is occasional set backs and mild pain, but nothing like it used to be. Always my pain was concentrated in the heel.
Recently, I have started having horrible pain in the ball of the same foot. Nothing makes it feel better, expect of course not walking or standing on it. Flexing my toes makes it worse even when not weight bearing.
I would like to know if anyone has an opinion - is this part of the PF (moving pain) or is this something else altogether that I need to get looked at?
Thanks for your input.

Re: New foot pain - already dx with PF

Mar on 5/26/02 at 17:04 (085306)

You are probably compensating for the heel pain and putting too much pressure on the ball of the foot, or have for so long because of the heel pain. It happens to me all the time -- back and forth with the pain. Maybe one of the docs has a better explanation though. I'm just a PF sufferer!! Good luck -- Mar

Ellen J. on 5/28/02 at 09:59 (085444)

I found that shoes with too much heel would cause me pain in the ball of the foot when my P.F. was bad. The weight slides down onto the ball of the foot. Probably you don't wear shoes with significant heels, but thought I would mention it just in case.
Ellen

GailP on 5/28/02 at 10:52 (085448)

thanks for the suggestions. etc. I do not/ cannot wear heels and have not been able to for years. I've had to stop wearing my orthotics for a couple of days now, since they have enough of an elevation to make the pain worse. What's odd is that I have never had the pain there, even after dealing with the heel pain for years. I am walking oddly to compensate for the pain (something I never did with the heel pain) and this is causing pain in my ankle and leg.
If this is associated with PF, what helps it 'cause the night splint and orthotics are doing nothing.
Appreciate the help!

Mar on 5/26/02 at 17:04 (085306)

You are probably compensating for the heel pain and putting too much pressure on the ball of the foot, or have for so long because of the heel pain. It happens to me all the time -- back and forth with the pain. Maybe one of the docs has a better explanation though. I'm just a PF sufferer!! Good luck -- Mar

Ellen J. on 5/28/02 at 09:59 (085444)

I found that shoes with too much heel would cause me pain in the ball of the foot when my P.F. was bad. The weight slides down onto the ball of the foot. Probably you don't wear shoes with significant heels, but thought I would mention it just in case.
Ellen

GailP on 5/28/02 at 10:52 (085448)

thanks for the suggestions. etc. I do not/ cannot wear heels and have not been able to for years. I've had to stop wearing my orthotics for a couple of days now, since they have enough of an elevation to make the pain worse. What's odd is that I have never had the pain there, even after dealing with the heel pain for years. I am walking oddly to compensate for the pain (something I never did with the heel pain) and this is causing pain in my ankle and leg.
If this is associated with PF, what helps it 'cause the night splint and orthotics are doing nothing.
Appreciate the help!