Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Having Ossitron done on June 11th...getting scared.

Posted by Christine H. on 5/27/02 at 14:24 (085361)

Hi, this is first post for me here, so please bear with me. I have been living with PF for about 5 years now, different treatments seemed to work for short periods of time only to revert back to walking on my tippy-toes to ease the pain. Learned about the treatment through my doctor, who is also a surgeon, she will be doing the procedure. She gave me what materials she had to read, told me to check internet, and that is how I found this board.

We've set up the treatment for June 11th, a Tuesday, luckily, the physician's office that I work at, has ok'd my request for the rest of the week off, going back to work on Monday, the following week.

The more I read the posts here, the more scared I become. I don't want worse pain after the treatment, the pain was unbearable in first place, hence, the treatment. Any suggestions....I've thought of not reading any posts at all, yet have found some good info here. Are there things that I can do, pre-treatment, that might help?

Thank you in advance for any help/information.

Re: Having Ossitron done on June 11th...getting scared.

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 15:07 (085362)

The first thing is to relax. It's REALLY nothing. I dreaded the shots worse than the ESWT treatment.
I was up and walking around the next day with no real added pain. Of course you are going to be tender...but more like a bruise tender...not anything worse.
Good luck...keep us posted and let us know how you feel!
p.s. I would keep reading the posts for information and try not to take anything to heart. Everyone's different in how they handle pain.

Christine H. on 5/27/02 at 15:14 (085363)

Carmen,

Thanks......uhm.....~L~ What shots though? Will be going back to Doctor on the 5th, she said she would go over everything that will happen, but would like to know a little more now if possible. This all will be taking place at Winter Haven Ambulatory Surgical Center, so not sure how it will be done.

Anything I can do beforehand to make it better/easier? And yes, if there are shots, that will be worse. I may work in Doctor's office, but am chicken little when it comes to shots.

Thanks.......

Re: Relax, it's not that bad !!

BrianG on 5/27/02 at 16:42 (085364)

Hi Christine,

Please don't worry too much about the shots and pain following the ESWT treatment. You'll barely feel the shots, it's nothing like a painful cortisone shot. From what I've read, they use something like Versed, that will partially knock you out. I'm not sure, but I think at this point you'll get a nerve block in your ankle / heel area (you'll never feel this one). When it's over you'll have a week to rest, which is plenty of time.

I do know that not everyone is healed from ESWT, but I can't remember anyone posting thet they wished they didn't get it, because of the pain. This is a good chance to heal, and it's set up so that you will feel as little pain as possible, during the treatment. Try not to worry, you'll be fine.

One thing you might want to do before your treatment, is food shooping. Other than that, use heat a few times a day after treatment, and begin your healing :*) Good luck

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/27/02 at 17:28 (085367)

Hi

You will do just fine. Pain after High energy ESWT can happen but rare and if it does happen usually goes away with days. Still have to rest and not dance the nite away.

AndrewS on 5/27/02 at 22:17 (085403)

Read my recent post titled 9 weeks post ESWT. You have nothing to fear and nothing to lose. I suffered for 1 1/2 years and finally am having relief. THe procedure is nothing at all and you can return to work the next day. I went furniture shopping 1/2 hr after the procedure!

john h on 5/28/02 at 09:54 (085442)

Walking on your toes would seem counter productive for PF. Seems to me it would make it much worse. You should certainly consider ESWT prior to surgery. Going back to work one week after surgery may be a little optimistic. Read all you can on this board and get a 2nd opinion before surgery and especially get more information about walking on your toes.

john h on 5/28/02 at 09:56 (085443)

Christine: ESWT is a piece of cake. I have had 4 treatments and nothing hurt during or after treatment. Take something to read while they do the treatment.

Re: Thank you for the encouraging words

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 14:01 (086095)

Just wanted to say thanks, am catching up on reading, still scared just not as bad, but I think that is normal before any procedure. I did have a couple of questions though about the actual procedure. It will be done in an Ambulatory Surgical Center, ~L~ do I have to wear one of them hideous gowns or can I wear shorts and shirt? Do I have to remove my jewelry? Any one have any idea? I know these are not that important to the actual procedure, but some of my jewelry has never been taken off since they were placed on me, and have sentimental reasons.

Just wondering...........

DR Zuckerman on 6/02/02 at 14:24 (086097)

You will have to wear the standard ASC type gown with the jewerly and removal of nail polish etc. So what is the reasonable cost for the ossatron in an ASC down in Southern Florida. Please make sure that the fee quoted is in writing and that it includes after care, additional treatment if needed, use of the ossatron, treating doctors fee, anesthesia fee, and the use of the ASC. We have had patients on this web site quoted one fee and then received a very large bill down the road.

You will be great. The procedure is about fifteen minutes and virtually without any pain. Good luck . Feel free to ask any and all questions to any doctor on this site.

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 15:07 (085362)

The first thing is to relax. It's REALLY nothing. I dreaded the shots worse than the ESWT treatment.
I was up and walking around the next day with no real added pain. Of course you are going to be tender...but more like a bruise tender...not anything worse.
Good luck...keep us posted and let us know how you feel!
p.s. I would keep reading the posts for information and try not to take anything to heart. Everyone's different in how they handle pain.

Christine H. on 5/27/02 at 15:14 (085363)

Carmen,

Thanks......uhm.....~L~ What shots though? Will be going back to Doctor on the 5th, she said she would go over everything that will happen, but would like to know a little more now if possible. This all will be taking place at Winter Haven Ambulatory Surgical Center, so not sure how it will be done.

Anything I can do beforehand to make it better/easier? And yes, if there are shots, that will be worse. I may work in Doctor's office, but am chicken little when it comes to shots.

Thanks.......

BrianG on 5/27/02 at 16:42 (085364)

Hi Christine,

Please don't worry too much about the shots and pain following the ESWT treatment. You'll barely feel the shots, it's nothing like a painful cortisone shot. From what I've read, they use something like Versed, that will partially knock you out. I'm not sure, but I think at this point you'll get a nerve block in your ankle / heel area (you'll never feel this one). When it's over you'll have a week to rest, which is plenty of time.

I do know that not everyone is healed from ESWT, but I can't remember anyone posting thet they wished they didn't get it, because of the pain. This is a good chance to heal, and it's set up so that you will feel as little pain as possible, during the treatment. Try not to worry, you'll be fine.

One thing you might want to do before your treatment, is food shooping. Other than that, use heat a few times a day after treatment, and begin your healing :*) Good luck

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/27/02 at 17:28 (085367)

Hi

You will do just fine. Pain after High energy ESWT can happen but rare and if it does happen usually goes away with days. Still have to rest and not dance the nite away.

AndrewS on 5/27/02 at 22:17 (085403)

Read my recent post titled 9 weeks post ESWT. You have nothing to fear and nothing to lose. I suffered for 1 1/2 years and finally am having relief. THe procedure is nothing at all and you can return to work the next day. I went furniture shopping 1/2 hr after the procedure!

john h on 5/28/02 at 09:54 (085442)

Walking on your toes would seem counter productive for PF. Seems to me it would make it much worse. You should certainly consider ESWT prior to surgery. Going back to work one week after surgery may be a little optimistic. Read all you can on this board and get a 2nd opinion before surgery and especially get more information about walking on your toes.

john h on 5/28/02 at 09:56 (085443)

Christine: ESWT is a piece of cake. I have had 4 treatments and nothing hurt during or after treatment. Take something to read while they do the treatment.

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 14:01 (086095)

Just wanted to say thanks, am catching up on reading, still scared just not as bad, but I think that is normal before any procedure. I did have a couple of questions though about the actual procedure. It will be done in an Ambulatory Surgical Center, ~L~ do I have to wear one of them hideous gowns or can I wear shorts and shirt? Do I have to remove my jewelry? Any one have any idea? I know these are not that important to the actual procedure, but some of my jewelry has never been taken off since they were placed on me, and have sentimental reasons.

Just wondering...........

DR Zuckerman on 6/02/02 at 14:24 (086097)

You will have to wear the standard ASC type gown with the jewerly and removal of nail polish etc. So what is the reasonable cost for the ossatron in an ASC down in Southern Florida. Please make sure that the fee quoted is in writing and that it includes after care, additional treatment if needed, use of the ossatron, treating doctors fee, anesthesia fee, and the use of the ASC. We have had patients on this web site quoted one fee and then received a very large bill down the road.

You will be great. The procedure is about fifteen minutes and virtually without any pain. Good luck . Feel free to ask any and all questions to any doctor on this site.