Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

laser surgery for heel spurs

Posted by belindaa on 5/27/02 at 17:38 (085368)

I HAVE HEARD RUMORS FROM MY PHYSICAL THERAPIST THAT LASER SURGERY FOR HEEL SPURS IS POSSIBLE.....IS THIS TRUE, AND IF SO, WHAT IS THE SUCCESS RATE, MORE OR LESS COMPLICATIONS THAN TRADITIONAL SURGERY, AND RECOVERY TIME?

I APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME, AS MYSELF AND SEVERAL FAMILY MEMBERS SUFFER FROM HEEL SPURS.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!!

Re: laser surgery for heel spurs

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 18:41 (085378)

Not sure about laser surgery....but read the ESWT part of this board for further options.

DR Zuckerman on 5/27/02 at 19:15 (085384)

Hello,

They are talking about ESWT. I have alot of patients think that shockwave is laser foot surgery. There are no lasers used for the removal of a heel spur.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/27/02 at 20:23 (085390)

Hi Carmen:

he laser surgery that you are referring to is Holmium Yag laser. There was a journal article last year in foot and ankle. I relly don't know what the success rate is.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joy H on 5/28/02 at 13:17 (085459)

I'm wanting information on lazer surgery for heel spurs. I've been having trouble with me feet for about 4yrs. I've had the cortizone shots, a cast put on my right foot for plantar f. As soon as the cast come off it started to hurt and now my left foot has been hurting for about 1 yr. I have extreme pain in the mornings and if I sit for very long it hurts when I get up. I've heard surgery is not recommended but I don't know what else to do. Thank you.

Carmen on 5/27/02 at 18:41 (085378)

Not sure about laser surgery....but read the ESWT part of this board for further options.

DR Zuckerman on 5/27/02 at 19:15 (085384)

Hello,

They are talking about ESWT. I have alot of patients think that shockwave is laser foot surgery. There are no lasers used for the removal of a heel spur.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/27/02 at 20:23 (085390)

Hi Carmen:

he laser surgery that you are referring to is Holmium Yag laser. There was a journal article last year in foot and ankle. I relly don't know what the success rate is.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joy H on 5/28/02 at 13:17 (085459)

I'm wanting information on lazer surgery for heel spurs. I've been having trouble with me feet for about 4yrs. I've had the cortizone shots, a cast put on my right foot for plantar f. As soon as the cast come off it started to hurt and now my left foot has been hurting for about 1 yr. I have extreme pain in the mornings and if I sit for very long it hurts when I get up. I've heard surgery is not recommended but I don't know what else to do. Thank you.