Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First PT Appt.

Posted by Barbara S on 5/28/02 at 16:08 (085484)

Hi Everyone, Well I had my first PT appt after have tarsel tunnel surgery April 22,2002. I have seen this PT before for other things over the last 10yrs or so and like him very much. His name is David. I was there for 1 1/2hrs. First he took my foot history. Then he did an examine on my foot,being very gentle and telling me what he was doing the whole time. My incision goes across the bottom of my foot right by the heel and up around my ankle and about 2 inches above my ankle up my leg. I have one spot right near the ankle bone where my pain pump was that has not healed yet and is very tender.He started with ultra sound. When he first went over the part of the incision, by the ankle bone, oooohhhhhhh hurt and sent a sharp shocking pain down my foot from there ,the incision there is still tender also. He decided to stay away from that area for today. After ultra sound he told me to take different textured material and gentle massage the incision area. Examples silk,terry cloth, fannel. So then he took a terry cloth towel and gently message the area for about 5 mins,then he gentle massaged vitamin E oil on incision.
He then showed me some mild stretches and repeatedly reminded me only mild stretching there should be no pain. We then went to the whirlpool for 10 min. slowly move foot up and down and do the alphabet twice. The hot water really makes my toes and ball of my foot swell and feel prickly,but he then iced for 10min and started to feel better.
I was really afraid it was going to be real painful today. I thought maybe he was really going to make me do things that would cause alot of pain,but he didn't. The one thing that was the most painful was putting my foot flat on the floor and going from ball of foot to heel,this hurts in the back of my heel up the back of the leg and on the top of my foot by the bend. PT said to just take it real slow.
I will be seeing him Tue,Thurs, and Fri.'s thru June 14th,and then Monday June 17th. It is back to the surgeon then on Tue June 18th.
I will keep posting progress reports. Thanks everyone for listening.
Good Luck and God Bless us all. Barbara S.

Re: First PT Appt.

Sharon W on 5/28/02 at 17:19 (085502)

Barbara,

OOOHHhh!! That sure sounds PAINFUL!! HOPEFULLY it gets a lot easier, and much less painful, as time goes by!

I guess I will be doing the same thing in a few months. I had The Big Discussion with my pod about whether to do surgery, and she has decided now that she wants to do it. (Still got to get my daughter a drivers' liscence FIRST, though!)

-- Sharon

Missy B on 5/28/02 at 18:45 (085508)

Hi Barb,
Sounds as if you have a good therapist who will help you not to over-do-it during your rehab. But remember - no pain, no gain. I can remember how uncomfortable it was in the beginning when I tried to flex my foot up and down and from side to side trying to regain my flexibility. It won't happen in a hurry, so take your time. I still do my exercises at home from time to time, just to make sure my ligaments and muscles stay limber. I used - and still use - a cocoa butter cream with vitamin E, which I massage into my incision to keep the skin supple. And when my foot really aches, I use a gel called BIOFREEZE, which I massage into my foot - I find it very cooling and gives me a good bit of relief. I buy it from my pod. Ask your therapist or pod about cold water soaks. I found that the cold water worked better for me than warm water when my foot really ached. I still do cold water soaks in the evening when I have been on my feet all day at work.
Keep us informed. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/28/02 at 20:12 (085523)

Hi Barbara , I am so glad you have such a wonderful PT , it is so important when you are dealing with so much pain .... Thank you for keeping us posted on your recovery ... Take it slow .. I am right behind you , I had my surger on May7 th ... I am still non weight bearring . I see my Pod this Friday , maybe I can start to put some weight . I am not in any hurry though as I know it is going to hurt.... My very best to you always , Laurie R

Missy B on 5/28/02 at 22:35 (085561)

Laurie,
I am 18 weeks post PF/TT surgery and it was about 3 to 4 weeks before I was walking with just my cam walker on my foot around the house. I still used crutches when I went shopping. I hope you are as lucky as me, because it really didn't hurt when I started bearing weight - it was more of an ache than real pain. Even when I started wearing shoes at 5 weeks, there was no pain - just soreness like I was walking on a bruised area. This has gotten a little better with time, but I still have some soreness at times and my foot still aches when it rains. I am waiting on my custom orthotics to arrive - my pod feels this will help eliminate the discomfort by keeping my arch up where it belongs. I hope so.
Take your time with your recovery - it doesn't always happen as quickly as we would like and there will good days and bad days. Are you planning on taking any physical therapy? The stretching exercises my therapists gave me were a big help in regaining the flexibility in my foot.
Please keep all of us informed as to your progress. Good Luck to you. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/28/02 at 23:34 (085566)

Hi Missy , Thank you so much for your reply to me . Well it has only been three weeks today post opp. No I will not rush this at all. See I also have RSD so I have that terrible pain to deal with as well as my recovery from my surgery . I was high risk to begin with ... My RSD pain has kicked in again so this is not good. I do see my PM doctor tomorrow and will find out when he is going to do some spinel blocks for the RSD .... Then I see my Pod this Friday , then I will find out when he would like me to bear some weight .

Thank you again and I am glad you are doing well..... Laurie R

Missy B on 5/29/02 at 09:01 (085588)

Laurie - I did not realize that you also had RSD. I hope you are able to get some relief. Hang in there and take each day slowly. I will be thinking about you and hoping that you begin to see improvement soon.
Keep us posted - although I am rather new to this message board I have seen that there is a lot of support here and always someone willing to listen. I wish I had found this board before my surgery - it was so hard to find people who could understand just how much pain I was in. We will be here for you. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 11:20 (085609)

Hi Missy , Thank you so much for your kind words . Yes this board is wonderful. I have been coming here for over two years ... Everyone has been so very kind to me . This is my main support . My family has been wonderful in taking great care of me , my poor husband works and comes home and takes care of the kids and house and makes sure I don't do a thing. I have scared him the few times I slipped and landed on my bad foot ..... Oh No !!!!

I can not even begin to tell you how very important it is for me to have other people to talk to that are in the same pain as me . WE all understand and care....

My best to you always , bless you , Laurie R

Sharon W on 5/28/02 at 17:19 (085502)

Barbara,

OOOHHhh!! That sure sounds PAINFUL!! HOPEFULLY it gets a lot easier, and much less painful, as time goes by!

I guess I will be doing the same thing in a few months. I had The Big Discussion with my pod about whether to do surgery, and she has decided now that she wants to do it. (Still got to get my daughter a drivers' liscence FIRST, though!)

-- Sharon

Missy B on 5/28/02 at 18:45 (085508)

Hi Barb,
Sounds as if you have a good therapist who will help you not to over-do-it during your rehab. But remember - no pain, no gain. I can remember how uncomfortable it was in the beginning when I tried to flex my foot up and down and from side to side trying to regain my flexibility. It won't happen in a hurry, so take your time. I still do my exercises at home from time to time, just to make sure my ligaments and muscles stay limber. I used - and still use - a cocoa butter cream with vitamin E, which I massage into my incision to keep the skin supple. And when my foot really aches, I use a gel called BIOFREEZE, which I massage into my foot - I find it very cooling and gives me a good bit of relief. I buy it from my pod. Ask your therapist or pod about cold water soaks. I found that the cold water worked better for me than warm water when my foot really ached. I still do cold water soaks in the evening when I have been on my feet all day at work.
Keep us informed. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/28/02 at 20:12 (085523)

Hi Barbara , I am so glad you have such a wonderful PT , it is so important when you are dealing with so much pain .... Thank you for keeping us posted on your recovery ... Take it slow .. I am right behind you , I had my surger on May7 th ... I am still non weight bearring . I see my Pod this Friday , maybe I can start to put some weight . I am not in any hurry though as I know it is going to hurt.... My very best to you always , Laurie R

Missy B on 5/28/02 at 22:35 (085561)

Laurie,
I am 18 weeks post PF/TT surgery and it was about 3 to 4 weeks before I was walking with just my cam walker on my foot around the house. I still used crutches when I went shopping. I hope you are as lucky as me, because it really didn't hurt when I started bearing weight - it was more of an ache than real pain. Even when I started wearing shoes at 5 weeks, there was no pain - just soreness like I was walking on a bruised area. This has gotten a little better with time, but I still have some soreness at times and my foot still aches when it rains. I am waiting on my custom orthotics to arrive - my pod feels this will help eliminate the discomfort by keeping my arch up where it belongs. I hope so.
Take your time with your recovery - it doesn't always happen as quickly as we would like and there will good days and bad days. Are you planning on taking any physical therapy? The stretching exercises my therapists gave me were a big help in regaining the flexibility in my foot.
Please keep all of us informed as to your progress. Good Luck to you. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/28/02 at 23:34 (085566)

Hi Missy , Thank you so much for your reply to me . Well it has only been three weeks today post opp. No I will not rush this at all. See I also have RSD so I have that terrible pain to deal with as well as my recovery from my surgery . I was high risk to begin with ... My RSD pain has kicked in again so this is not good. I do see my PM doctor tomorrow and will find out when he is going to do some spinel blocks for the RSD .... Then I see my Pod this Friday , then I will find out when he would like me to bear some weight .

Thank you again and I am glad you are doing well..... Laurie R

Missy B on 5/29/02 at 09:01 (085588)

Laurie - I did not realize that you also had RSD. I hope you are able to get some relief. Hang in there and take each day slowly. I will be thinking about you and hoping that you begin to see improvement soon.
Keep us posted - although I am rather new to this message board I have seen that there is a lot of support here and always someone willing to listen. I wish I had found this board before my surgery - it was so hard to find people who could understand just how much pain I was in. We will be here for you. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 11:20 (085609)

Hi Missy , Thank you so much for your kind words . Yes this board is wonderful. I have been coming here for over two years ... Everyone has been so very kind to me . This is my main support . My family has been wonderful in taking great care of me , my poor husband works and comes home and takes care of the kids and house and makes sure I don't do a thing. I have scared him the few times I slipped and landed on my bad foot ..... Oh No !!!!

I can not even begin to tell you how very important it is for me to have other people to talk to that are in the same pain as me . WE all understand and care....

My best to you always , bless you , Laurie R