Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Long term problem?

Posted by Nigel B on 5/28/02 at 16:49 (085495)

I have had PF for 2 yrs but getting somewhat better with rest-I hiked and played squash on it for a year without realising the problem. Some posts on this board say that if you do what I did the problem may stay for the rest of my life.This terrifies me. Can people get better even after doing what I did???

Re: Long term problem?

Carmen on 5/28/02 at 16:59 (085497)

The main concern should be how you feel NOW. You answered your own question...you said getting better with rest. You are getting better.
Don't bo gy other peoples experience to determine how you feel now.

R C on 5/28/02 at 22:40 (085562)

I unwisely continued with my vigorous activities for about six months after onset of PF, but am now 'cured' after 2 years of intense, often frustrating treatment. I say 'cured' in quotes since I am now fully pain free and can go about a normal day, but I have given up running and a few other things for fear of re-injury. In that limited sense I have a problem for life.

You should try to be hopeful, and truly devote yourself to getting well. We'll help you get through it in any way we can.

monte on 5/29/02 at 08:02 (085583)

RC...If I can become pain free and get through normal days, I will be so thankful and grateful. That, to me, will be cured. Even if I cannot return to running or martial arts...I just want to take my kids to the zoo and Disney World and be able to be pain free just standing in line.
I too would be scared of a relapse after fighting such a battle. Good for you!

Nigel B on 5/29/02 at 10:50 (085606)

Thanks to all who have replied-you're a good bunch!

Carmen on 5/28/02 at 16:59 (085497)

The main concern should be how you feel NOW. You answered your own question...you said getting better with rest. You are getting better.
Don't bo gy other peoples experience to determine how you feel now.

R C on 5/28/02 at 22:40 (085562)

I unwisely continued with my vigorous activities for about six months after onset of PF, but am now 'cured' after 2 years of intense, often frustrating treatment. I say 'cured' in quotes since I am now fully pain free and can go about a normal day, but I have given up running and a few other things for fear of re-injury. In that limited sense I have a problem for life.

You should try to be hopeful, and truly devote yourself to getting well. We'll help you get through it in any way we can.

monte on 5/29/02 at 08:02 (085583)

RC...If I can become pain free and get through normal days, I will be so thankful and grateful. That, to me, will be cured. Even if I cannot return to running or martial arts...I just want to take my kids to the zoo and Disney World and be able to be pain free just standing in line.
I too would be scared of a relapse after fighting such a battle. Good for you!

Nigel B on 5/29/02 at 10:50 (085606)

Thanks to all who have replied-you're a good bunch!