Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone spur at Achilles tendon insertion

Posted by Jim R. on 5/29/02 at 08:46 (085586)

I've had pain with running or activity for several years due to a large calcaneous bone spur at the achilles tendon insertion. I've tried an AFO, surgical excision (without compromising the tendon)and 2 ESWT treatments with limited results. Recent x-rays show the spur, despite the excision attempt, is still very large. Is there any minimally invasive treatement to remove the spur without compromising or detaching the tendon? I'v been told to fully remove the spur, the tendon will have to be detached and re-attched with a bone anchor. Any other options?

Re: Bone spur at Achilles tendon insertion

Dr. J. Cione on 5/29/02 at 16:49 (085647)

There is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that we have been performing for insertion achilles tendonitis that has been showing excellent results. If you are interested I can send you some further information on the procedure. You can contact me at (email removed). Keep stretching in the mean time...

DR Zuckerman on 5/29/02 at 19:40 (085672)

If we did your ESWT, I would come back and have another treatment with the new dornier epos. This has ultrasound and will direct the shockwave into the exact area of damage

Jim R. on 5/30/02 at 17:50 (085833)

Dr. Cione,

I am very interested in any information that you can provide regarding minimally invasive treatment of a bone spur at the insertion point. Thank you for responding.

Dr. J. Cione on 5/29/02 at 16:49 (085647)

There is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that we have been performing for insertion achilles tendonitis that has been showing excellent results. If you are interested I can send you some further information on the procedure. You can contact me at (email removed). Keep stretching in the mean time...

DR Zuckerman on 5/29/02 at 19:40 (085672)

If we did your ESWT, I would come back and have another treatment with the new dornier epos. This has ultrasound and will direct the shockwave into the exact area of damage

Jim R. on 5/30/02 at 17:50 (085833)

Dr. Cione,

I am very interested in any information that you can provide regarding minimally invasive treatment of a bone spur at the insertion point. Thank you for responding.