Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

After PT

Posted by Barbara S on 5/29/02 at 09:53 (085597)

HI Thanks everyone for replying. I spoke to soon yesterday when I said it wasn't so bad. I was in alot of pain last night and my foot blew up like a ballon. I really thing it was the whirlpool. I think the water is too hot. I know when I take my baths I use to use very hot water,but with my foot I had to turn it down considerable.
THis morning the swelling in my toes,ball of foot and arch is down,but around my ankle and heel is still swollen and this is why I can't get my foot into my shoe. I have a cam walker and another smaller boot I had before my surgery,but they are too tight around my ankle bone,where it is still swollen and I got a blister from it on the ankle bone and it makes my foot swell up more. So for now I'm just doing my stretching and hope the swelling will go down soon.
I see my Pod on Fri and will ask him about the biofreeze. Yes I agree cold soaks feel alot better for me also.
Sharon hope your daughter gets her license,that is one of my biggest downs. I have to depend on someone to get me around and now it will be three times a week. I was thinking about checking with my insurance to see if they would cover a med-van or something.
Laurie I hope they can get you RSD under control. I have been reading your post on your recovery and pray for you every day that Docs will get it under control for you. You have such a great family. I do to and they have put up with alot as I have had Fibromyalgia for 10yrs. THen my foot acted up a year ago and not being able to get around so good is not good for that.I do do some upper body exercies in my chair and one day I even srubbed the kitchen floor from my wheel chair, just for the exercise,now that's getting desperate..LOL
Missy B you have helped me alot because you are a few weeks ahead of me and it helps to know what lies ahead. I do notice that my arch in my right foot is higher than it was,but PT said that would come down a bit. I have a open pair a Birk Sandals,but they are a little tight on the front part of my foot still.
Again Thanks Everyone I wish I would have found the board before I started with my Pf surgery,I would have done things alot different. Oh Well
Take Care and God Bless. Barbara S

Re: After PT

Missy B on 5/29/02 at 10:58 (085607)

Barb - Keep hanging in there - there is a lot of support on this board and always someone to listen or share their experiences. I will keep hoping that you begin to see improvement soon and will be here to cheer you on.
Your incision is more extensive than mine, so your recovery time may be a little different. I have several pair of Birks and it was probably 2 1/2 months before my foot was totally comfortable in them again. I found I liked wearing them though, because the friction created by my sock and the inside of the athletic shoe kept irritating my incision in the beginning.
I hope your pod is able to answer a lot of your questions. A doctor who is willing to take the time to LISTEN to his patient's fears and concerns is worth his/her weight in gold.
You are in my thoughts. Keep us informed. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 11:24 (085610)

Dear Barbara , I am sorry to hear that your foot has swelled up . I would also think the hot water would do it too... Do you use ice at all ? Maybe it would help . I can't use ice due to my RSD , plus my foot is like ice all the time , very cold . So far I am very lucky my foot has not swelled that much . Also I can't take anti imflamms , they make me really sick to my tummy ..... Today I see my PM doc , I can't wait , my tummy has been sick for 4 days now. I am thinking it is due to my new meds he has me on . I am going to ask him for something for it ....

You hang in there , I have been following your posts since you had you surgery . I wish you only the best . We will get better , it is just going to take time . I am here anytime you wnat to talk..

Thank you again for being so very kind ..... Laurie R

Sharon W on 5/29/02 at 11:57 (085611)

Barbara,

I'm so sorry your foot is swollen. I agree, it is probably the HEAT -- I know that I had STOPPED taking baths in hot water, because of the pain it caused. I don't know too much about what works AFTER surgery, since I haven't done that yet, but I found it seemed to help a lot with swelling when my pod suggested 'contrast baths' -- that's HOT water, followed by cold water (or ice), then repeating the cycle at least once. If your pod says it's OK, you might give it a try...

I'm glad that your POD, at least, is the type who takes the time to listen. I know you said that ortho surgeon was a little better this time, but it really doesn't sound like he is very responsive to your needs and/or your questions. I mean, I'm sure it's BAD ENOUGH, being in pain and unable to step down on your foot without terrible pain, or to drive a car... But it must be even WORSE, when your surgeon seems to have no compassion or human concern for your predicament!

Yes, this afternoon my 16-year-old daughter and I will be going to get her a new learners' permit, since the old one has expired... She has been having health problems, too, and did not get her license the first time around! (Wish us luck!)

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/29/02 at 14:00 (085626)

Hi Barb, I have not been posting much over the past few weeks, but wanted to respond to your post as I have been reading everything you have updated us with......I wanted to suggest something......I also am in PT following surgery and they have me in a whirlpool but it is room temp and I do my stretching in this manner.....it is in a non weight bearing status this way and the water is not hot so it is soothing my foot and ankle.....maybe you would want to suggest trying it this way......I found I have very little increase of pain like this.....I am glad you are doing so well and I know it is frustrating but hang in there, it will get better......for you it is still very early in the healing process......good luck......keep us posted

Missy B on 5/29/02 at 10:58 (085607)

Barb - Keep hanging in there - there is a lot of support on this board and always someone to listen or share their experiences. I will keep hoping that you begin to see improvement soon and will be here to cheer you on.
Your incision is more extensive than mine, so your recovery time may be a little different. I have several pair of Birks and it was probably 2 1/2 months before my foot was totally comfortable in them again. I found I liked wearing them though, because the friction created by my sock and the inside of the athletic shoe kept irritating my incision in the beginning.
I hope your pod is able to answer a lot of your questions. A doctor who is willing to take the time to LISTEN to his patient's fears and concerns is worth his/her weight in gold.
You are in my thoughts. Keep us informed. Missy B.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 11:24 (085610)

Dear Barbara , I am sorry to hear that your foot has swelled up . I would also think the hot water would do it too... Do you use ice at all ? Maybe it would help . I can't use ice due to my RSD , plus my foot is like ice all the time , very cold . So far I am very lucky my foot has not swelled that much . Also I can't take anti imflamms , they make me really sick to my tummy ..... Today I see my PM doc , I can't wait , my tummy has been sick for 4 days now. I am thinking it is due to my new meds he has me on . I am going to ask him for something for it ....

You hang in there , I have been following your posts since you had you surgery . I wish you only the best . We will get better , it is just going to take time . I am here anytime you wnat to talk..

Thank you again for being so very kind ..... Laurie R

Sharon W on 5/29/02 at 11:57 (085611)

Barbara,

I'm so sorry your foot is swollen. I agree, it is probably the HEAT -- I know that I had STOPPED taking baths in hot water, because of the pain it caused. I don't know too much about what works AFTER surgery, since I haven't done that yet, but I found it seemed to help a lot with swelling when my pod suggested 'contrast baths' -- that's HOT water, followed by cold water (or ice), then repeating the cycle at least once. If your pod says it's OK, you might give it a try...

I'm glad that your POD, at least, is the type who takes the time to listen. I know you said that ortho surgeon was a little better this time, but it really doesn't sound like he is very responsive to your needs and/or your questions. I mean, I'm sure it's BAD ENOUGH, being in pain and unable to step down on your foot without terrible pain, or to drive a car... But it must be even WORSE, when your surgeon seems to have no compassion or human concern for your predicament!

Yes, this afternoon my 16-year-old daughter and I will be going to get her a new learners' permit, since the old one has expired... She has been having health problems, too, and did not get her license the first time around! (Wish us luck!)

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/29/02 at 14:00 (085626)

Hi Barb, I have not been posting much over the past few weeks, but wanted to respond to your post as I have been reading everything you have updated us with......I wanted to suggest something......I also am in PT following surgery and they have me in a whirlpool but it is room temp and I do my stretching in this manner.....it is in a non weight bearing status this way and the water is not hot so it is soothing my foot and ankle.....maybe you would want to suggest trying it this way......I found I have very little increase of pain like this.....I am glad you are doing so well and I know it is frustrating but hang in there, it will get better......for you it is still very early in the healing process......good luck......keep us posted