Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I made it thru the EMG

Posted by Tammie on 5/29/02 at 14:51 (085631)

Ok I am home and well it was not to fun I made it. I thought it was much more painful then I expected . I had a rough time with it in certain places that they put the needle. He always told me what and when it was coming as I tensed up and he needed me to relax, Oh sure relax it is ok that your foot is already worked up.

I have no information but I see him Monday so assume then I will get some answers. I am embarresed to say I could not stop crying and at several points I wanted to be sick as it was a bit more then I could take. He stopped and tryed to talk me out of it. I felt like a baby but it is over with. I asked about my meds he said he could double them but then I would run out before I see him Monday and he did not have his narcotic scrip pad with him or he would double them. That was a bit hard to believe as it was a Dr. office I would have done anything he asked if he daid would help pain.So he said can you try to make it till mon when I see you and of course I said yes thru tears.

What really bothered me was when I tried to stand up and I couldnt I sat back down and kept trying to get up he said you need to use a cane to take some of pressure off my bad side anyways he know I had trouble and I was in tears crying and he said have a nice day get that HAVE A NICE DAY i said yea you have one to. But not what I was thinking at all!So the wait begins and now he said to rest the next few days yep umhuh I am going to be able to do that . Hubby said he was watching the test , Doc said not much! Take care now back later maybe

Re: I made it thru the EMG

Sharon W on 5/29/02 at 15:09 (085634)

Tammie,

Yeah, the neuro I went to was a lot like that, too; that's why when my pod asked did I want to go back to see him again I said 'NO, I DON'T LIKE NEUROS!!!' and she changed the subject...

...Have a nice day, indeed!

And it's REALLY hard to believe, that he didn't have his narcotics scrip pad with him THERE IN HIS OWN OFFICE! ...But, why would he bring it up at all, if he wasn't going to write the scrip for you anyway??? That doesn't make sense...

Hang in there, Tammy, at least that test is OVER WITH now.

-- Sharon

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 15:29 (085638)

Hi Tammie,
I'm glad to see you made it home safely, but so sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it at the doctor's office today. It sounds like you left feeling more pain than when you went in, and like you not only felt unrecognized and unheard, but like the doctor wasn't even doing his job by giving you a prescription. I wonder why he couldn't call it in for you?

I hope you have time to relax tonight. I know you're having a terrible time right now and just want some answers through all of this unbearable pain. I wish the best of luck to you, and please try to take it easy. We are all thinking about you.

Your friend, Val.

Re: Not so negitive just pain talking

Tammie on 5/29/02 at 17:50 (085652)

I really ddidnt mean to make him out as unsensitive as he really is a smart man I trust him in many ways already! Now it is kinda weird as he is the one who did the test there were noone else in there but my hubby him and I. We were in a medical testing center connected to the hospital. He is there one day a week to do thease tests. Then one day a week at the pain center closer to us and then I am not sure where his office is located. I didnt know that he is all over.

I did learn he is suppposed to be a xcellent Dr. for pain management and even flies to other hospitals to help. while we were there he had a few phone calls and he was scedualing flights not quite sure what it was but he was talking to someone asking for a special medical flight and he was a Dr. He had to be there at 4 oclock. It was kinda weird as he seemed very important. I am going to do a search on him and his name.

I was very upset with the pain involved but have to admit he was as gentle as he could be even giving my leg a break as my toe was screaming he offered to rub it but NO way that is the bad one and I cant even rub it. He had a job to do and he did very professional. He did go out and get me a glass of water as he looked at my pills and he said to take a percecet.I think he just did not know how to handle me crying as I was and I was very frightened I couldnt walk. He made the suggestion to use a cane for my help not mocking or angry. Tho I am sure I felt it was haha.

I will know more about him I feel the next appt is monday morning. He did also ask when my nerve blocks were, when hubby said july he seemed upset he said we would talk on monday.I dont even know what the results were I just wanted out of there as I was awfully embaarressed as people werre watching me cry and hobble I just wanted toget in the car and go home .
You know I am ultra sensitive when it comes to Dr.s I have no like or dislike at this time. It will take me a few appt. to see if I can work with him or not! I need some one who is understanding of my pride and my care needs to be a whole picture with not only him but me working to ! So far I have let him do the things he feels will help us more on our care plan.thanks and sorry that I always seem to have negative when I really didnt mean it to come out that way I was in alot of pain and frustrated that I may have to wait till monday with what meds I have now.That is in his contract with me tho I read it and signed it so I should know that was to be expected.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 19:12 (085663)

Dear Tammie , You know what ?? it is so ok that you cried during the EMG test . I also cried through my whole test . At the point I was having mine done I was in pain and could care less what the doctor thought of me . I just wanted it over and me out of the room and home ....I am so glad it is all over with now for you . I can't believe he did not have his script pad with him. Him being a PM doc I would think he would have it on him all the time . But maybe his way of doing things he just does not carry it with him on testing days ....

I wish you all the best and now the test is over with , now you don't have to worry about it anymore ......

Much love always , Laurie R

Pauline on 5/29/02 at 21:16 (085688)

Tammie,
Be proud of yourself you made it through the 'big one' test that is and hopefully they will know more about your problems by Monday. As far as the Narcotic Rx goes I think there are many people who will be able to give you detailed information on how physicians feel about the use of Narcotics even pain clinic physicians.

A lot of it is very political I think, and people who are in pain are just fed up with the government tying physician's hands when it comes to dispensing pain controling drugs.

It's unfortunate but very true how pain is sometimes under treated because physicians are scrutinized on almost every Narcotic Rx they write per patient. Pharmacies are treated the same way. In our state it's gotten to the point that many pharmacies would rather not fill Narcotic prescriptions than to go through the government scrutiny.

If you have trouble getting your meds in the future don't feel alone. I'm sure someone will relate to your situation, and fill you in on how the game is played. Sad isn't it when patient's pain is controled more by government regulations instead of their own physicians.

BrianG on 5/29/02 at 21:44 (085695)

Hi Tammie,

I think everything is going right according to narcotic pain laws in you state. Every state allows narcotics to be presrbibed for chronic pain, but each state has different guidelines. You probably will have to wait the full month for your next script, it's just the way it's done. Don't take it personally.

Paulie is right about some drug stores not wanting to carry narcotics, for many reasons. I think it's important to develop just as good a relationship with your pharmacist, as with your doctor. If you don't personally know him, take a few minutes to explain your pain, and that you'll be getting your meds from him every month. If your script changes, let the pharmacist know asap. A phone call will do. Sometimes they will only have enough to fill your script on hand. Whatever you can do, to make his job easier, will make the transaction better for everyone. If you get any negativity from the pharmacist, find another one. There are a lot of very compassionate ones out there. Think of your doctor and pharmacist as a team, keeping each one up to date, as necessary. I think your PM doc is a winner, and I hope you can develop a good relationship with him.

Good Luck
BrianG

Necee on 5/29/02 at 22:06 (085699)

Bless your heart Tammie!
You made it through!
I know that was a very difficult procedure for you, but its over now and hopefully the tests will shed some light as to what your condition is and how the best way is to treat it.
I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Big hugs to you Tammie.
Necee

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:24 (085702)

Dear Tammie,

You've been given some good advice and comments here. Let me just add that I am so glad the test is over and hope that tomorrow is better for you! I hope the results will help the doctor understand better how to help you.

You take care!
Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 5/29/02 at 23:30 (085720)

Tammie - I only had the little shocker things, not the needles. Most people say the needles are pretty bad. Don't be embarrassed about cyring - you made it, and I hope this helps find an answer to your problems.

Susie on 5/30/02 at 10:21 (085758)

Tammie, Hi I hope you feel better now with that step over and the results soon. My emg was uncomfortable and some pain but I got through it and it did show nerve damage. So I sure you will learn something from the test. It sounds like you take alot of meds. I understand the pain but just be careful. Try to keep a clear head and think positive! The sun is shinning! Susie

john h on 5/30/02 at 11:16 (085766)

Brian: How much do you think your pain meds reduce your pain (50%,75%)? I have a young neighbor lady who has a bad case of rehumatoid arthritis. last year she went on some potent meds and now days when I see her out walking she has a spring to her step, seems happy, and much a different person since she went on what ever meds she is taking. There has been a lot in the news this past year about to many people suffering with pain when there are meds that can control the pain. I realize there are side effects to deal with, possible addiction,etc. but can any of these be worse than deabiliting, life altering pain? I think not. Many in the medical community are begining to understand this.

Re: To John h

Sharon W on 5/30/02 at 13:07 (085781)

John,

Yes, but I fear many more, are NOT. There is an long-existing 'rule of thumb' that many doctors still seem to follow, that the goal of pain control is to reduce the original pain level by 50%. If your pain level to begin with was 2, perhaps that is all right... but if you started at 10, I DON'T think that reducing the pain to 5 is acceptable AT ALL!

Just my opinion...

-- Sharon

Re: Thank u all for everything! I am ready for the next step

Tammie on 5/30/02 at 13:43 (085789)

Whatever it might be. Yes I think I have most likely got one of the good Dr. for pain. I think he is very smart and professional. My hubby and him talk like longtime friends but he does include me when it is something he told me about pain and what I have. It makes it nice that hubby is right there to hear it also .I did get angry when I got there yesterday and he goes in to check me in and fill out my medical chart thing, I said excuse me I can do that and I can talk for myself! I just got kinda angry that people talk around me and not to ME!

Looking back that was another positive step!!! I am on alot of medication , I agree as I never took vities or asprin or tylonol, LOl but when something hurts and does not go away I look for those pills and say a prayer when taking them that please God let me find some time that does not have pain in it! Please protect me or haelp me stay away from addicition and allow me to live with pain or guide me to finding pain free times. I am no longer worried about addicition as I have hurt much to long already. I dont know if I am weak or if I am just out of control of the pain. Each day it gets harder and becomes longer and longer till I find a spot that I feel that I can walk out side and say look I CAN walk without holding anything around to help me to where I intend to go .

I am looking foward to answers soon and hoping Monday will provide some!Not sure what is next. I just hope this test was not for nothing. I worry now that there will be nothing or that I am making my pain bigger then should that maybe it is in my mind that is my biggest worry. I feel if he says I cannot find anything I think then I will burst into tears and say then just shoot me now as I will be better off dead. I say this with really no meaning to it more of a horrible off the wall type feeling. As This is just the worse thing I can think of, but would never do it.I will give it some more thought as that is kinda wrong.But I do feel frustration and Monday cant get here soon enough!Thanks again for not laughing about me crying as I really was embarresed. I told hubby not to hold that over my head or tell everyone what a baby I was. He says he wont but I wont bet on it .

Janet C on 5/30/02 at 14:21 (085796)

Dear Tammie ~

I'm so sorry to hear that the EMG Test was so very painful for you. At least it's all over now, and you can put it behind you. I pray that the Dr. gets the information from the results of the test that he's looking for.

But please don't be too upset if the test doesn't reveal significant nerve damage; I think that RSD/CRPS doesn't always give a positive reading on the EMG.

Stress makes the pain worse, so lay back, put your feet up, take a few deep breaths, and relaxxxxxxx.

Wishing you better days ~ Janet

Re: Pain meds, a reason to live....

BrianG on 5/30/02 at 21:07 (085856)

John, it's really hard to put a percentage on how much pain relief I'm getting. I look at it in a different way, as in how much can I do? I can still drive, I can still go to the grocery store, but have to use the express lane only. I can visit with my family for a couple hours during the morning, or afternoon. I can bass fish for a day, sitting down (but I pay for it).

I cannot go out at night for any social activities, I cannnot hike at all, driving for more than a half hour is very uncomfertble, I have no energy, and am always fatigued. A couple years ago I did taper off my meds after my failed EPF, as I had to find out if the procedure was a success, or not. I was in terrible pain, it was all consuming. I could barely walk to the end of my driveway to get my mail, I could not food shop. I really felt like I had no reason to live!

So, for me, I have no choice, I'm still able to live by myself, and am not a burdon on society. I do enjoy some activities, but not many. But most of all, I am NOT addicted. I do not crave my pain meds, and haven't had an increase in over a year! I'm on a steady enough dose that I do not have pain ups and downs. I don't even feel as if I've taken a pain pill, there is absolutely no euphoria. If I was to have a larger increase, I'm sure I might be skipping around town also, for awhile. The problem is that my body will eventually become accomodated to any amount I'm on, and will need an increase sooner, or later.

What we need is a NEW class of pain meds. Ones without the side effects that dictate increases on a fairly regular basis. What ever company that comes up with this med, will rule the pain med world !!!!! Everything else will be obsolete :*) And yes, it has been a long struggle to ensure people are getting proper pain relief. It beats suicide any day, wouldn't you say!!!!

BrianG

Re: No, it's not in your head !!

BrianG on 5/30/02 at 21:22 (085859)

Janet is right, don't worry if your EMG is normal. I had two of them, and they were both normal. It has nothing to do with my pain, it was just another test, to rule out nerve damage. There is more than enough 'other stuff' to make up for the nerve pain. Now that you finally have a professional pain doc, I don't think he'll be telling you the pain is all in your head. Those words come out of the mouths of uniformed doctors, that don't have the knowledge to diagnose you correctly. Try not to worry, I really think your in good hands.

BrianG

john h on 5/31/02 at 10:40 (085899)

Brian: I have always thought the first order of business is control the pain. The evidence is that the large majority of people in serious pain do not become addicted to pain medications. I am not on any narcotic pain medication but if I was in as much pain as you I would not hesitate to take what ever is available. When I have taken a narcotic pain medication for a kidney stone and after surgery I certainly did not experience any sort of high or feeling that I would want to experience again. The medical profession in recent years has come to realize that the danger of life altering pain far out weighs any effects of pain medication. My neighbor's daughter just had a pain pump placed in her back to control unbearable back pain. There are people who come to the emergency room daily trying to acquire narcotics under the false pretense of pain. This should be no reason to help those in serious pain. You never know when some new procedure or treatment might develop for PF Brian so continue to hang tough. Wish we could do a little bass fishing together. I loved to night bass fish in a swamp with a top water lure.It is sort of easy to forget the worlds problems out there on the water fishing and having nice conversation. When the barge ran into the brige over the Arkansas River last week there was a bass tournament nearby. One of the fisherman saved one of the truck drivers who had plunged into the water. So far they have recovered 14 bodies. Three horses also perished

Suzanne D on 5/31/02 at 14:46 (085917)

Dear Tammie,

I do hope you will learn some more answers Monday. Brian and Janet seem to really know what they are talking about, so try not to worry if there is nothing concrete that comes from the test. I agree that your doctor seems to know what he is doing, and you can trust him to help you.

Please don't add embarassment or shame to the pain you already have! I think you have tried to be so strong for so long, and that is to be admired. But, certainly, don't feel badly about crying. And don't think that it is in your head! You know what you are feeling.

Some of us tend to blame ourselves for EVERYTHING - even our pain as well as others' problems. Don't do that to yourself, Tammie. I am trying to deal with some of those issues myself, so I can relate and sympathize!

I wish for you a relaxing day with less pain and with peace of mind.

BrianG on 5/31/02 at 18:57 (085948)

John, I heard those bass fishermen watched vehicles just driving off the edge of the bridge for 5 minutes. They finally fired a flare at a truck, which was able to stop in time. It must have been an optical illusion to those poor drivers. I'm sure an engineer could explain why they couldn't see the bridge was gone.

It's been years since I fished at night, thanks to PF. About 6-7 years ago I did catch a BAT at about 2am. It flew right into my line, getting completely tangled. We cut the line, but had a hell of a time with that little prehistoric creature. He was hissing and snapping at us like he weighed 10 pounds!!!!

Man, I miss stuff like that!!
BrianG

PS: I'm familia with the implantable pain pump. I've already mentioned to my doctor that if I live long enough, and the pain continues, I may end up with one. The have done fabulous things for people that have previously been unable to get relief from meds in pill form. The big problem with oral meds, is that if you live long enough, the side effects of the narcotics will eventually be worse than the disease / injury itself.

john h on 6/03/02 at 09:18 (086135)

Most of those cars were on cruise control doing around 70 Brian. Probably just enjoying the view and certainly no expecting anything like what happened. I suspect it takes a couple of hundred feet to stop a car and much longer to stop a truck at that speed. It was a clear day. Another barge hit a bridge a couple of days ago a few hundred miles downstream but no damage. It is not unusal for barges to hit bridges as a matter of fact. This barge(s) were actually empty. There may have been a design flaw in the bridge which will come out in the investigation.

Sharon W on 5/29/02 at 15:09 (085634)

Tammie,

Yeah, the neuro I went to was a lot like that, too; that's why when my pod asked did I want to go back to see him again I said 'NO, I DON'T LIKE NEUROS!!!' and she changed the subject...

...Have a nice day, indeed!

And it's REALLY hard to believe, that he didn't have his narcotics scrip pad with him THERE IN HIS OWN OFFICE! ...But, why would he bring it up at all, if he wasn't going to write the scrip for you anyway??? That doesn't make sense...

Hang in there, Tammy, at least that test is OVER WITH now.

-- Sharon

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 15:29 (085638)

Hi Tammie,
I'm glad to see you made it home safely, but so sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it at the doctor's office today. It sounds like you left feeling more pain than when you went in, and like you not only felt unrecognized and unheard, but like the doctor wasn't even doing his job by giving you a prescription. I wonder why he couldn't call it in for you?

I hope you have time to relax tonight. I know you're having a terrible time right now and just want some answers through all of this unbearable pain. I wish the best of luck to you, and please try to take it easy. We are all thinking about you.

Your friend, Val.

Re: Not so negitive just pain talking

Tammie on 5/29/02 at 17:50 (085652)

I really ddidnt mean to make him out as unsensitive as he really is a smart man I trust him in many ways already! Now it is kinda weird as he is the one who did the test there were noone else in there but my hubby him and I. We were in a medical testing center connected to the hospital. He is there one day a week to do thease tests. Then one day a week at the pain center closer to us and then I am not sure where his office is located. I didnt know that he is all over.

I did learn he is suppposed to be a xcellent Dr. for pain management and even flies to other hospitals to help. while we were there he had a few phone calls and he was scedualing flights not quite sure what it was but he was talking to someone asking for a special medical flight and he was a Dr. He had to be there at 4 oclock. It was kinda weird as he seemed very important. I am going to do a search on him and his name.

I was very upset with the pain involved but have to admit he was as gentle as he could be even giving my leg a break as my toe was screaming he offered to rub it but NO way that is the bad one and I cant even rub it. He had a job to do and he did very professional. He did go out and get me a glass of water as he looked at my pills and he said to take a percecet.I think he just did not know how to handle me crying as I was and I was very frightened I couldnt walk. He made the suggestion to use a cane for my help not mocking or angry. Tho I am sure I felt it was haha.

I will know more about him I feel the next appt is monday morning. He did also ask when my nerve blocks were, when hubby said july he seemed upset he said we would talk on monday.I dont even know what the results were I just wanted out of there as I was awfully embaarressed as people werre watching me cry and hobble I just wanted toget in the car and go home .
You know I am ultra sensitive when it comes to Dr.s I have no like or dislike at this time. It will take me a few appt. to see if I can work with him or not! I need some one who is understanding of my pride and my care needs to be a whole picture with not only him but me working to ! So far I have let him do the things he feels will help us more on our care plan.thanks and sorry that I always seem to have negative when I really didnt mean it to come out that way I was in alot of pain and frustrated that I may have to wait till monday with what meds I have now.That is in his contract with me tho I read it and signed it so I should know that was to be expected.

Laurie R on 5/29/02 at 19:12 (085663)

Dear Tammie , You know what ?? it is so ok that you cried during the EMG test . I also cried through my whole test . At the point I was having mine done I was in pain and could care less what the doctor thought of me . I just wanted it over and me out of the room and home ....I am so glad it is all over with now for you . I can't believe he did not have his script pad with him. Him being a PM doc I would think he would have it on him all the time . But maybe his way of doing things he just does not carry it with him on testing days ....

I wish you all the best and now the test is over with , now you don't have to worry about it anymore ......

Much love always , Laurie R

Pauline on 5/29/02 at 21:16 (085688)

Tammie,
Be proud of yourself you made it through the 'big one' test that is and hopefully they will know more about your problems by Monday. As far as the Narcotic Rx goes I think there are many people who will be able to give you detailed information on how physicians feel about the use of Narcotics even pain clinic physicians.

A lot of it is very political I think, and people who are in pain are just fed up with the government tying physician's hands when it comes to dispensing pain controling drugs.

It's unfortunate but very true how pain is sometimes under treated because physicians are scrutinized on almost every Narcotic Rx they write per patient. Pharmacies are treated the same way. In our state it's gotten to the point that many pharmacies would rather not fill Narcotic prescriptions than to go through the government scrutiny.

If you have trouble getting your meds in the future don't feel alone. I'm sure someone will relate to your situation, and fill you in on how the game is played. Sad isn't it when patient's pain is controled more by government regulations instead of their own physicians.

BrianG on 5/29/02 at 21:44 (085695)

Hi Tammie,

I think everything is going right according to narcotic pain laws in you state. Every state allows narcotics to be presrbibed for chronic pain, but each state has different guidelines. You probably will have to wait the full month for your next script, it's just the way it's done. Don't take it personally.

Paulie is right about some drug stores not wanting to carry narcotics, for many reasons. I think it's important to develop just as good a relationship with your pharmacist, as with your doctor. If you don't personally know him, take a few minutes to explain your pain, and that you'll be getting your meds from him every month. If your script changes, let the pharmacist know asap. A phone call will do. Sometimes they will only have enough to fill your script on hand. Whatever you can do, to make his job easier, will make the transaction better for everyone. If you get any negativity from the pharmacist, find another one. There are a lot of very compassionate ones out there. Think of your doctor and pharmacist as a team, keeping each one up to date, as necessary. I think your PM doc is a winner, and I hope you can develop a good relationship with him.

Good Luck
BrianG

Necee on 5/29/02 at 22:06 (085699)

Bless your heart Tammie!
You made it through!
I know that was a very difficult procedure for you, but its over now and hopefully the tests will shed some light as to what your condition is and how the best way is to treat it.
I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Big hugs to you Tammie.
Necee

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:24 (085702)

Dear Tammie,

You've been given some good advice and comments here. Let me just add that I am so glad the test is over and hope that tomorrow is better for you! I hope the results will help the doctor understand better how to help you.

You take care!

wendyn on 5/29/02 at 23:30 (085720)

Tammie - I only had the little shocker things, not the needles. Most people say the needles are pretty bad. Don't be embarrassed about cyring - you made it, and I hope this helps find an answer to your problems.

Susie on 5/30/02 at 10:21 (085758)

Tammie, Hi I hope you feel better now with that step over and the results soon. My emg was uncomfortable and some pain but I got through it and it did show nerve damage. So I sure you will learn something from the test. It sounds like you take alot of meds. I understand the pain but just be careful. Try to keep a clear head and think positive! The sun is shinning! Susie

john h on 5/30/02 at 11:16 (085766)

Brian: How much do you think your pain meds reduce your pain (50%,75%)? I have a young neighbor lady who has a bad case of rehumatoid arthritis. last year she went on some potent meds and now days when I see her out walking she has a spring to her step, seems happy, and much a different person since she went on what ever meds she is taking. There has been a lot in the news this past year about to many people suffering with pain when there are meds that can control the pain. I realize there are side effects to deal with, possible addiction,etc. but can any of these be worse than deabiliting, life altering pain? I think not. Many in the medical community are begining to understand this.

Re: To John h

Sharon W on 5/30/02 at 13:07 (085781)

John,

Yes, but I fear many more, are NOT. There is an long-existing 'rule of thumb' that many doctors still seem to follow, that the goal of pain control is to reduce the original pain level by 50%. If your pain level to begin with was 2, perhaps that is all right... but if you started at 10, I DON'T think that reducing the pain to 5 is acceptable AT ALL!

Just my opinion...

-- Sharon

Tammie on 5/30/02 at 13:43 (085789)

Whatever it might be. Yes I think I have most likely got one of the good Dr. for pain. I think he is very smart and professional. My hubby and him talk like longtime friends but he does include me when it is something he told me about pain and what I have. It makes it nice that hubby is right there to hear it also .I did get angry when I got there yesterday and he goes in to check me in and fill out my medical chart thing, I said excuse me I can do that and I can talk for myself! I just got kinda angry that people talk around me and not to ME!

Looking back that was another positive step!!! I am on alot of medication , I agree as I never took vities or asprin or tylonol, LOl but when something hurts and does not go away I look for those pills and say a prayer when taking them that please God let me find some time that does not have pain in it! Please protect me or haelp me stay away from addicition and allow me to live with pain or guide me to finding pain free times. I am no longer worried about addicition as I have hurt much to long already. I dont know if I am weak or if I am just out of control of the pain. Each day it gets harder and becomes longer and longer till I find a spot that I feel that I can walk out side and say look I CAN walk without holding anything around to help me to where I intend to go .

I am looking foward to answers soon and hoping Monday will provide some!Not sure what is next. I just hope this test was not for nothing. I worry now that there will be nothing or that I am making my pain bigger then should that maybe it is in my mind that is my biggest worry. I feel if he says I cannot find anything I think then I will burst into tears and say then just shoot me now as I will be better off dead. I say this with really no meaning to it more of a horrible off the wall type feeling. As This is just the worse thing I can think of, but would never do it.I will give it some more thought as that is kinda wrong.But I do feel frustration and Monday cant get here soon enough!Thanks again for not laughing about me crying as I really was embarresed. I told hubby not to hold that over my head or tell everyone what a baby I was. He says he wont but I wont bet on it .

Janet C on 5/30/02 at 14:21 (085796)

Dear Tammie ~

I'm so sorry to hear that the EMG Test was so very painful for you. At least it's all over now, and you can put it behind you. I pray that the Dr. gets the information from the results of the test that he's looking for.

But please don't be too upset if the test doesn't reveal significant nerve damage; I think that RSD/CRPS doesn't always give a positive reading on the EMG.

Stress makes the pain worse, so lay back, put your feet up, take a few deep breaths, and relaxxxxxxx.

Wishing you better days ~ Janet

BrianG on 5/30/02 at 21:07 (085856)

John, it's really hard to put a percentage on how much pain relief I'm getting. I look at it in a different way, as in how much can I do? I can still drive, I can still go to the grocery store, but have to use the express lane only. I can visit with my family for a couple hours during the morning, or afternoon. I can bass fish for a day, sitting down (but I pay for it).

I cannot go out at night for any social activities, I cannnot hike at all, driving for more than a half hour is very uncomfertble, I have no energy, and am always fatigued. A couple years ago I did taper off my meds after my failed EPF, as I had to find out if the procedure was a success, or not. I was in terrible pain, it was all consuming. I could barely walk to the end of my driveway to get my mail, I could not food shop. I really felt like I had no reason to live!

So, for me, I have no choice, I'm still able to live by myself, and am not a burdon on society. I do enjoy some activities, but not many. But most of all, I am NOT addicted. I do not crave my pain meds, and haven't had an increase in over a year! I'm on a steady enough dose that I do not have pain ups and downs. I don't even feel as if I've taken a pain pill, there is absolutely no euphoria. If I was to have a larger increase, I'm sure I might be skipping around town also, for awhile. The problem is that my body will eventually become accomodated to any amount I'm on, and will need an increase sooner, or later.

What we need is a NEW class of pain meds. Ones without the side effects that dictate increases on a fairly regular basis. What ever company that comes up with this med, will rule the pain med world !!!!! Everything else will be obsolete :*) And yes, it has been a long struggle to ensure people are getting proper pain relief. It beats suicide any day, wouldn't you say!!!!

BrianG

Re: No, it's not in your head !!

BrianG on 5/30/02 at 21:22 (085859)

Janet is right, don't worry if your EMG is normal. I had two of them, and they were both normal. It has nothing to do with my pain, it was just another test, to rule out nerve damage. There is more than enough 'other stuff' to make up for the nerve pain. Now that you finally have a professional pain doc, I don't think he'll be telling you the pain is all in your head. Those words come out of the mouths of uniformed doctors, that don't have the knowledge to diagnose you correctly. Try not to worry, I really think your in good hands.

BrianG

john h on 5/31/02 at 10:40 (085899)

Brian: I have always thought the first order of business is control the pain. The evidence is that the large majority of people in serious pain do not become addicted to pain medications. I am not on any narcotic pain medication but if I was in as much pain as you I would not hesitate to take what ever is available. When I have taken a narcotic pain medication for a kidney stone and after surgery I certainly did not experience any sort of high or feeling that I would want to experience again. The medical profession in recent years has come to realize that the danger of life altering pain far out weighs any effects of pain medication. My neighbor's daughter just had a pain pump placed in her back to control unbearable back pain. There are people who come to the emergency room daily trying to acquire narcotics under the false pretense of pain. This should be no reason to help those in serious pain. You never know when some new procedure or treatment might develop for PF Brian so continue to hang tough. Wish we could do a little bass fishing together. I loved to night bass fish in a swamp with a top water lure.It is sort of easy to forget the worlds problems out there on the water fishing and having nice conversation. When the barge ran into the brige over the Arkansas River last week there was a bass tournament nearby. One of the fisherman saved one of the truck drivers who had plunged into the water. So far they have recovered 14 bodies. Three horses also perished

Suzanne D on 5/31/02 at 14:46 (085917)

Dear Tammie,

I do hope you will learn some more answers Monday. Brian and Janet seem to really know what they are talking about, so try not to worry if there is nothing concrete that comes from the test. I agree that your doctor seems to know what he is doing, and you can trust him to help you.

Please don't add embarassment or shame to the pain you already have! I think you have tried to be so strong for so long, and that is to be admired. But, certainly, don't feel badly about crying. And don't think that it is in your head! You know what you are feeling.

Some of us tend to blame ourselves for EVERYTHING - even our pain as well as others' problems. Don't do that to yourself, Tammie. I am trying to deal with some of those issues myself, so I can relate and sympathize!

I wish for you a relaxing day with less pain and with peace of mind.

BrianG on 5/31/02 at 18:57 (085948)

John, I heard those bass fishermen watched vehicles just driving off the edge of the bridge for 5 minutes. They finally fired a flare at a truck, which was able to stop in time. It must have been an optical illusion to those poor drivers. I'm sure an engineer could explain why they couldn't see the bridge was gone.

It's been years since I fished at night, thanks to PF. About 6-7 years ago I did catch a BAT at about 2am. It flew right into my line, getting completely tangled. We cut the line, but had a hell of a time with that little prehistoric creature. He was hissing and snapping at us like he weighed 10 pounds!!!!

Man, I miss stuff like that!!
BrianG

PS: I'm familia with the implantable pain pump. I've already mentioned to my doctor that if I live long enough, and the pain continues, I may end up with one. The have done fabulous things for people that have previously been unable to get relief from meds in pill form. The big problem with oral meds, is that if you live long enough, the side effects of the narcotics will eventually be worse than the disease / injury itself.

john h on 6/03/02 at 09:18 (086135)

Most of those cars were on cruise control doing around 70 Brian. Probably just enjoying the view and certainly no expecting anything like what happened. I suspect it takes a couple of hundred feet to stop a car and much longer to stop a truck at that speed. It was a clear day. Another barge hit a bridge a couple of days ago a few hundred miles downstream but no damage. It is not unusal for barges to hit bridges as a matter of fact. This barge(s) were actually empty. There may have been a design flaw in the bridge which will come out in the investigation.