Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ouch

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 18:42 (085659)

I found out that even now I can hurt my feet, though it takes a lot. I had another one of those all day scientific meetings today, where we sit sit sit all day in a conference room with concrete floors covered by rugs that are so thin they do nothing. Just from sitting with my feet flat on the floor, I started hurting.

So, I tried my usual 'trick' of stretching my legs out straight and flexing the foot towards my nose, rotating at the ankles, and so on. That worked for a while but after hours and hours of sitting wished I could lean down and pull on my toes, or even better, stand up and walk around!

I wore my SAS shoes and I forgot to wash a pair of my thicker black socks, so the ones I wore were thin men's dress socks. OUCH I got to walk around at lunch, but only briefly when I took a colleague to lunch, and it was all on concrete.

After the meeting, I had to walk way across a concrete parking lot and about half way to my car I felt so forlorn and thought of all my friends here. I thought, 'Gee, I'll bet they would never guess that my stupid feet are hurting so much right now.' But they are. My calves even feel all knotted up and hurt.

It's ice for me tonight, and my thicker socks are in the dryer already. I changed to my Birkenstocks as soon as I got home. I probably should do a lot of stretching, too. Two more days of this and then I'm done with this round of meetings.

If this is hard to do now, when my feet have been doing so well and in my good SAS shoes, no wonder it hurt so badly back in January in my crummy Easy Spirits and before I had healed much! That was the last time we had scientific meetings like this.

I don't think I injured anything but the pain brings back very unwelcome memories and makes me feel insecure. Thanks for listening to me whine/gripe. I needed to vent.

Carole C

Re: ouch

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 18:59 (085661)

Carole, I'm so sorry you had a bad feet day! It is doubly discouraging after making so much progress. But you WILL get back to where you have been; I just know it.

Take care of those feet tonight! Mine are hurting pretty badly tonight, too. Last of school, moving, etc. And no children to take my mind off them today as yesterday was their last day!

Take care! Thinking of you...

Suzanne :-)

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 19:37 (085668)

Carole,

Sorry to hear about your setback, Carole. Let's hope it's only temporary, and you'll be back to your cheerful self again soon. I am going through a downswing too, so you are not alone. You will always have us, right? Was it comforting to be able to at least think of the people here while you were walking to your car? I know it helps me to know I'm really not alone - this PF really can make you feel isolated sometimes!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 19:38 (085669)

Suzanne, I hope your feet feel better soon. This summer is your big chance to rest them, and I hope that works out.

I know how close you are to the children, and while I didn't post on that thread I echo the thoughts of everyone who did. You probably know that! :) How bittersweet the end of each school year must be for you.

By moving, do you mean moving your classroom into the new school, already? I am so glad that you plan to take carpet and mats to your new classroom. It's really quite a bit cheaper than suffering another major bout of PF, and when you are healed perhaps you can think of other uses for the carpet.

Valerie and I will help you come up with a use for it, right Val? (grin) We have a year to think about it. Speaking of uses for cast off medical/PF things, my shower stool has made a wonderful dressing room stool, and I wonder how I ever got dressed without it! No more teetering on one leg while trying to don slacks. One of these days I'll cover it like Val suggested, so that it looks pretty, too.

Well, I'd better go ice. We'll ice together, tonight.

Carole C

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 19:49 (085676)

A magic carpet ride comes to mind, and I don't know why. I would love to stretch out on that carpet... you too, Suzanne... maybe we can get John to read US a story!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 19:56 (085677)

It really does help to have friends here who understand and care, Val. I am pretty sure it is temporary, because I am not feeling any sharp pain as if I tore anything. I am just feeling that nagging medium level unrelenting ache on the lateral sides of the bottoms of my feet, and in my heels, arches and everywhere.

I am so close to being completely healed, but I'm not there yet (just very close). It shouldn't have surprised me that SOMETHING could make my feet hurt like this again. Today I found that something, and I'm disappointed even so.

I am just so thankful that I am not feeling this awful, despicable, steady and unrelenting medium level crazy-making pain every day like I did in the past. I had forgotten the worst aspects of this pain, the way that the pain makes me feel so helpless, forlorn, whiny, sad, and 'broken'. I hate it.

I know I've got it beat, in the long run. I am visualizing 'Mr. Pain' being strangled with his own necktie and hung from a tree. LOL

Carole C

john h on 5/29/02 at 20:38 (085680)

I think I would read to you 'Little Red Riding Hood'.

john h on 5/29/02 at 20:41 (085681)

Carole: there you go again as Ronald Regan would say. Why is it 'Mr. Pain'? Why not 'Mrs Pain' 'Ms Pain' or 'Madame Pain'? We need to have a talk.

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 20:46 (085682)

Oh my, what big TEETH you have! :D

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 21:09 (085685)

(giggle) But John, Mrs. Pain doesn't have a necktie for hanging-from-the-tree purposes, and hanging her by her pantihose would be in such poor taste! :)

OK, OK, so my Mr. Pain is hanging from that tree and so is your Mrs. Pain. I visualize them as nasty little rag dolls. I added something to the image. There they are, two animated rag dolls hanging from the tree, faces turning purple and bodies flopping, they are finally vanquished and become as limp as rag rugs.

Remember how old ladies used to beat rugs? Bet that would knock the stuffing out of them. Nasty little rag dolls.

Viciously imaginative,

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 21:10 (085687)

Not 'Scheherazade'? After all, if it's a magic carpet......

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:37 (085709)

Hi, Carole. In my great hurry when I wrote to you earlier this evening, I realize I didn't make a lot of sense! We aren't moving to the new school yet; that is to be at Christmas time. But I have to move a lot of 'stuff' so the custodian can clean this summer and shampoo the carpet. I have literally hundreds of children's books, stuffed animals that go with the books, puzzles, etc., etc. I decorate and have my room so packed, that it is a job at the end of the year and then at the beginning to get it all in place.

But first to rest for awhile...I hope your feet feel better tomorrow, Carole!

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:37 (085710)

I'm ready! That sounds like fun!

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:40 (085711)

I always loved for my mother to read that one to me. I never got tired of hearing it even though I had it memorized!

By the way, the children at school love to hear a man reading a story to them. An older man in my church used to volunteer once a week and read a book to the children before lunch. They loved it - and him.

Kathy G on 5/30/02 at 07:59 (085735)

Carole,

So sorry to hear of your bad feet day! We can all relate. Ice and stretch and I know you'll come back to where you were. It does get very frustrating, doesn't it?

Hope the next two days are easier for you! Just think of all the knowledge you're getting at these conferences! You may get sore feet but you're also getting educated! Some of us (I'm not going to admit I'm talking about me!) hurt our feet by walking too much at the mall or overdoing it working out in the yard! Then, we've got sore feet but we're no less smart!

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/30/02 at 08:19 (085741)

Yes, I'm glad to be able to learn and participate in this workshop. When the workshop is over, I can rest my feet.

It probably seems like I'm resting my feet while I'm there, but it doesn't feel that way. I can't elevate my feet, or wiggle my toes, and the floor that they must rest on constantly is SO HARD. It's not like resting them at home. If I had bought one of those footrest thingies, I would take it to the workshop. At least today, I have thicker socks.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 18:59 (085661)

Carole, I'm so sorry you had a bad feet day! It is doubly discouraging after making so much progress. But you WILL get back to where you have been; I just know it.

Take care of those feet tonight! Mine are hurting pretty badly tonight, too. Last of school, moving, etc. And no children to take my mind off them today as yesterday was their last day!

Take care! Thinking of you...

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 19:37 (085668)

Carole,

Sorry to hear about your setback, Carole. Let's hope it's only temporary, and you'll be back to your cheerful self again soon. I am going through a downswing too, so you are not alone. You will always have us, right? Was it comforting to be able to at least think of the people here while you were walking to your car? I know it helps me to know I'm really not alone - this PF really can make you feel isolated sometimes!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 19:38 (085669)

Suzanne, I hope your feet feel better soon. This summer is your big chance to rest them, and I hope that works out.

I know how close you are to the children, and while I didn't post on that thread I echo the thoughts of everyone who did. You probably know that! :) How bittersweet the end of each school year must be for you.

By moving, do you mean moving your classroom into the new school, already? I am so glad that you plan to take carpet and mats to your new classroom. It's really quite a bit cheaper than suffering another major bout of PF, and when you are healed perhaps you can think of other uses for the carpet.

Valerie and I will help you come up with a use for it, right Val? (grin) We have a year to think about it. Speaking of uses for cast off medical/PF things, my shower stool has made a wonderful dressing room stool, and I wonder how I ever got dressed without it! No more teetering on one leg while trying to don slacks. One of these days I'll cover it like Val suggested, so that it looks pretty, too.

Well, I'd better go ice. We'll ice together, tonight.

Carole C

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 19:49 (085676)

A magic carpet ride comes to mind, and I don't know why. I would love to stretch out on that carpet... you too, Suzanne... maybe we can get John to read US a story!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 19:56 (085677)

It really does help to have friends here who understand and care, Val. I am pretty sure it is temporary, because I am not feeling any sharp pain as if I tore anything. I am just feeling that nagging medium level unrelenting ache on the lateral sides of the bottoms of my feet, and in my heels, arches and everywhere.

I am so close to being completely healed, but I'm not there yet (just very close). It shouldn't have surprised me that SOMETHING could make my feet hurt like this again. Today I found that something, and I'm disappointed even so.

I am just so thankful that I am not feeling this awful, despicable, steady and unrelenting medium level crazy-making pain every day like I did in the past. I had forgotten the worst aspects of this pain, the way that the pain makes me feel so helpless, forlorn, whiny, sad, and 'broken'. I hate it.

I know I've got it beat, in the long run. I am visualizing 'Mr. Pain' being strangled with his own necktie and hung from a tree. LOL

Carole C

john h on 5/29/02 at 20:38 (085680)

I think I would read to you 'Little Red Riding Hood'.

john h on 5/29/02 at 20:41 (085681)

Carole: there you go again as Ronald Regan would say. Why is it 'Mr. Pain'? Why not 'Mrs Pain' 'Ms Pain' or 'Madame Pain'? We need to have a talk.

Valerie S on 5/29/02 at 20:46 (085682)

Oh my, what big TEETH you have! :D

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 21:09 (085685)

(giggle) But John, Mrs. Pain doesn't have a necktie for hanging-from-the-tree purposes, and hanging her by her pantihose would be in such poor taste! :)

OK, OK, so my Mr. Pain is hanging from that tree and so is your Mrs. Pain. I visualize them as nasty little rag dolls. I added something to the image. There they are, two animated rag dolls hanging from the tree, faces turning purple and bodies flopping, they are finally vanquished and become as limp as rag rugs.

Remember how old ladies used to beat rugs? Bet that would knock the stuffing out of them. Nasty little rag dolls.

Viciously imaginative,

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/02 at 21:10 (085687)

Not 'Scheherazade'? After all, if it's a magic carpet......

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:37 (085709)

Hi, Carole. In my great hurry when I wrote to you earlier this evening, I realize I didn't make a lot of sense! We aren't moving to the new school yet; that is to be at Christmas time. But I have to move a lot of 'stuff' so the custodian can clean this summer and shampoo the carpet. I have literally hundreds of children's books, stuffed animals that go with the books, puzzles, etc., etc. I decorate and have my room so packed, that it is a job at the end of the year and then at the beginning to get it all in place.

But first to rest for awhile...I hope your feet feel better tomorrow, Carole!

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:37 (085710)

I'm ready! That sounds like fun!

Suzanne D on 5/29/02 at 22:40 (085711)

I always loved for my mother to read that one to me. I never got tired of hearing it even though I had it memorized!

By the way, the children at school love to hear a man reading a story to them. An older man in my church used to volunteer once a week and read a book to the children before lunch. They loved it - and him.

Kathy G on 5/30/02 at 07:59 (085735)

Carole,

So sorry to hear of your bad feet day! We can all relate. Ice and stretch and I know you'll come back to where you were. It does get very frustrating, doesn't it?

Hope the next two days are easier for you! Just think of all the knowledge you're getting at these conferences! You may get sore feet but you're also getting educated! Some of us (I'm not going to admit I'm talking about me!) hurt our feet by walking too much at the mall or overdoing it working out in the yard! Then, we've got sore feet but we're no less smart!

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/30/02 at 08:19 (085741)

Yes, I'm glad to be able to learn and participate in this workshop. When the workshop is over, I can rest my feet.

It probably seems like I'm resting my feet while I'm there, but it doesn't feel that way. I can't elevate my feet, or wiggle my toes, and the floor that they must rest on constantly is SO HARD. It's not like resting them at home. If I had bought one of those footrest thingies, I would take it to the workshop. At least today, I have thicker socks.

Carole C