Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

untreated effects of plantar fasciitis

Posted by Joel R on 5/30/02 at 01:55 (085723)

Hi
Im have an assignment and have to find out the long term effects of untreated plantar fasciitis.
Thank you

Re: untreated effects of plantar fasciitis

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/30/02 at 05:38 (085724)

Joel:

We have patients who have been untreated and end up with chornic pain. I have not seen any patient where it has spontaniously resolved. I have also seen the longer left untreated the harder it is to break the pain cycle.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rick R on 5/30/02 at 07:55 (085734)

Joel,

I have been told by more than one doctor that the formation of heelspurs is often the result of long term or chronic PF. Going untreated can be a factor in having PF for a long time, however, you can also have it for a long time with treatment. Many of the people posting on this board have been getting one kind or treatment or another for years and still have PF.

Good Luck,

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 5/30/02 at 08:37 (085747)

Rick, the faster one begins conservative treatments, the fast one recovers, apparently. I am not a foot doctor, but from what the doctors on this board have told me, the vast majority of their patients do fully recover after less than a year of conservative treatment.

There are some people on this board who have had PF for years; however, most of them did not begin adequate conservative treatment (including resting their feet sufficiently) until they had had PF for years. Some are runners who tried to 'run through their pain', which most of us consider to be a big mistake with PF.

Carole C

Rick R on 5/30/02 at 12:33 (085775)

Carole,

I think you are right on track. There is no doubt that this is a condition that should not be ignored. That's the point I was trying to get accross. Let it go and eventually you may have the added complication of a spur. In addition to seeking help, it's very important to aggressively seek the right treatment. Some of us out there went for help long before the internet, and got marginal treatment at best. I often wonder how different things would have been for me if I knew then (1984) what I know now.

Rick

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/01/02 at 12:59 (086013)

The key phrase is 'one type of treatment...' Plantar fasciitis best responds to a well planned agressively applied combination of conservative modalities. Many posters are looking for one modality to effect a cure but that is generally not effective. We need to treat existing biomechanical problems (orthotics, stretching , night splints) which are the underlying cause plus the inflammatroy process (PT modalities, anti-inflammatories, cortisone) and, now finally try to address tissue quality via ESWT.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 6/01/02 at 13:37 (086017)

That is so true, Dr. Ed. We have to battle plantar fasciitis with as many different treatments as we can. Mine seems to be resolving with conservative treatments but it's been like waging all out war!

I am just so glad that I found this site and learned what to do. When I was diagnosed, I got anti-inflammatories and a very effective pair of custom orthotics. But, if I had done nothing else (for example, if I had not rested quite a lot, or if I had not learned gentle non-weightbearing stretching, or if I had continued to go barefoot in the shower, and so on) I don't think even those excellent custom orthotics could have completely healed me. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that without the custom orthotics it would have taken a lot longer for me to heal (if I ever did).

We have to fight this battle on so many different fronts, persistently.

Carole C

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/30/02 at 05:38 (085724)

Joel:

We have patients who have been untreated and end up with chornic pain. I have not seen any patient where it has spontaniously resolved. I have also seen the longer left untreated the harder it is to break the pain cycle.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rick R on 5/30/02 at 07:55 (085734)

Joel,

I have been told by more than one doctor that the formation of heelspurs is often the result of long term or chronic PF. Going untreated can be a factor in having PF for a long time, however, you can also have it for a long time with treatment. Many of the people posting on this board have been getting one kind or treatment or another for years and still have PF.

Good Luck,

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 5/30/02 at 08:37 (085747)

Rick, the faster one begins conservative treatments, the fast one recovers, apparently. I am not a foot doctor, but from what the doctors on this board have told me, the vast majority of their patients do fully recover after less than a year of conservative treatment.

There are some people on this board who have had PF for years; however, most of them did not begin adequate conservative treatment (including resting their feet sufficiently) until they had had PF for years. Some are runners who tried to 'run through their pain', which most of us consider to be a big mistake with PF.

Carole C

Rick R on 5/30/02 at 12:33 (085775)

Carole,

I think you are right on track. There is no doubt that this is a condition that should not be ignored. That's the point I was trying to get accross. Let it go and eventually you may have the added complication of a spur. In addition to seeking help, it's very important to aggressively seek the right treatment. Some of us out there went for help long before the internet, and got marginal treatment at best. I often wonder how different things would have been for me if I knew then (1984) what I know now.

Rick

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/01/02 at 12:59 (086013)

The key phrase is 'one type of treatment...' Plantar fasciitis best responds to a well planned agressively applied combination of conservative modalities. Many posters are looking for one modality to effect a cure but that is generally not effective. We need to treat existing biomechanical problems (orthotics, stretching , night splints) which are the underlying cause plus the inflammatroy process (PT modalities, anti-inflammatories, cortisone) and, now finally try to address tissue quality via ESWT.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 6/01/02 at 13:37 (086017)

That is so true, Dr. Ed. We have to battle plantar fasciitis with as many different treatments as we can. Mine seems to be resolving with conservative treatments but it's been like waging all out war!

I am just so glad that I found this site and learned what to do. When I was diagnosed, I got anti-inflammatories and a very effective pair of custom orthotics. But, if I had done nothing else (for example, if I had not rested quite a lot, or if I had not learned gentle non-weightbearing stretching, or if I had continued to go barefoot in the shower, and so on) I don't think even those excellent custom orthotics could have completely healed me. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that without the custom orthotics it would have taken a lot longer for me to heal (if I ever did).

We have to fight this battle on so many different fronts, persistently.

Carole C