Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BC/BS

Posted by J. King on 5/30/02 at 07:29 (085731)

Does Blue Cross cover EWST? I was a federal employee and have BC/BS.

Re: BC/BS

J. King on 5/30/02 at 08:34 (085745)

My doctor does the ESWT (I get the letters confused) but I don't know yet if the bc/bs program for federal retirees will cover it or not. I called around the Tampa bay area and most of the pods don't even know what ESWT is! I will find out more tomorrow. I might get it through workers compensation if I can wait that long.

DR Zuckerman on 5/30/02 at 20:23 (085848)

It is very unlikely. I just had a patient who was pre-certified by PA Blue Shield for ESWT. Yes the medical department give it an ok but the eligibility section gave it a no due to lack of coverage for the patients policy. So it was needed but they weren't going to cover it. That a new !!

Theresa B on 5/30/02 at 23:36 (085874)

That is curious for I have HealthSelect Plus (TX state employee) and I am seeing the surgeon on Tuesday. I am trying to get as much info about ESWT as possible to show that it is more effective than envasive surgery. The Claims person told me to find out what the code is for ESWT and I cannot find it anywhere.

Theresa

J. King on 5/31/02 at 10:34 (085897)

I think the code is 28899. I had the same problem.

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 13:43 (086090)

I'm not sure about BC/BS covering,I can tell you that Dr. Tatiana Wellens over in Winter Haven has done it, and is doing mine on June 11th. She also has office in Lakeland (I THINK!). If you need phone number or address, e-mail me, since I'm not sure if we are allowed to give that information on here.

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 13:53 (086094)

Oops ~L~ Here is e-mail addy.....

(email removed)

J. King on 5/30/02 at 08:34 (085745)

My doctor does the ESWT (I get the letters confused) but I don't know yet if the bc/bs program for federal retirees will cover it or not. I called around the Tampa bay area and most of the pods don't even know what ESWT is! I will find out more tomorrow. I might get it through workers compensation if I can wait that long.

DR Zuckerman on 5/30/02 at 20:23 (085848)

It is very unlikely. I just had a patient who was pre-certified by PA Blue Shield for ESWT. Yes the medical department give it an ok but the eligibility section gave it a no due to lack of coverage for the patients policy. So it was needed but they weren't going to cover it. That a new !!

Theresa B on 5/30/02 at 23:36 (085874)

That is curious for I have HealthSelect Plus (TX state employee) and I am seeing the surgeon on Tuesday. I am trying to get as much info about ESWT as possible to show that it is more effective than envasive surgery. The Claims person told me to find out what the code is for ESWT and I cannot find it anywhere.

Theresa

J. King on 5/31/02 at 10:34 (085897)

I think the code is 28899. I had the same problem.

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 13:43 (086090)

I'm not sure about BC/BS covering,I can tell you that Dr. Tatiana Wellens over in Winter Haven has done it, and is doing mine on June 11th. She also has office in Lakeland (I THINK!). If you need phone number or address, e-mail me, since I'm not sure if we are allowed to give that information on here.

Christine H. on 6/02/02 at 13:53 (086094)

Oops ~L~ Here is e-mail addy.....

(email removed)