Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia Injury

Posted by Chuck W on 5/30/02 at 15:43 (085810)

I was recently playing flag football and while sprinting I turned slightly and planted sharply on my right foot, I heard a popping sound and my shoe fell off as if my foot had bent/deformed unnaturally. I took two additional steps on the injured foot and felt intense pain in the mid section of the arch of my foot to the heel (mid point of the plantar fascia). I stopped playing and initially some minor swelling was present with sunstantial pain when bearing weight. The next day (24 to 36 hours after the initial injury) a large briuse on the bottom of my foot appeared with signifcant swelling and more pain.

Three days after the injury pain is only experienced when beaing weight, so i am asuming only a minor injury, however; could this be an injury that requires medical attention? It has been three days since the injury and the swelling has subsided, however; pain is still present when puting weight on the injured foot.

The popping sound I heard, could that be a tear in the tendon, muscle or ligament and if so what is the weakest link of the palntar fasciitis biomechanical system? ie) Of the muscle, tendon or ligament which one will tear fist under the same loading.

Do you have any recommendations for diagnosing the injury? (ie. xray, arthroscopic inspection, other) or could a doctor determine the extent of injury by physical examination?

What treatments are currently available for injuries of this magnitude and if so how long is the typical healing this type of injury?

I plan to see my GP in the next couple of days and would appreciate any feedback with regards to this type of injury.

Thanks in advance for your help?

Chuck Wiltzen,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Plantar Fascia Injury

Carole C on 5/31/02 at 05:05 (085876)

Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your injury. You are smart to see your doctor for a diagnosis soon. I'm not a foot doctor, but due to my own injury I can tell you that just because it only hurts when bearing weight does not necessarily imply that your injury does not require medical attention.

Plantar fasciitis ('PF') is one possibility that comes to mind. Your doctor can reach a diagnosis or can refer you to someone who can. Sometimes an MRI is helpful to doctors in the diagnostic phase, but sometimes the symptoms are so clearcut that a diagnosis is possible without one.

If the diagnosis is PF, doctors generally recommend conservative (non-surgical) treatments beginning immediately. You should read the heel pain book on this site and these message boards for more information on conservative treatments of PF as well as for help and support with regards to any problems that come up. If you have PF, it can take months to years to recover and the rate of your recovery is highly dependent on how soon you begin these treatments. That is why seeing a doctor as soon as possible is an excellent plan.

Although PF generally takes several months to heal, doctors here tell me that a substantial majority of people do heal fully in less than a year. Those who don't often opt for ESWT, surgical procedures, and so on.

Carole C

Re: Plantar Fascia Injury

Carole C on 5/31/02 at 05:05 (085876)

Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your injury. You are smart to see your doctor for a diagnosis soon. I'm not a foot doctor, but due to my own injury I can tell you that just because it only hurts when bearing weight does not necessarily imply that your injury does not require medical attention.

Plantar fasciitis ('PF') is one possibility that comes to mind. Your doctor can reach a diagnosis or can refer you to someone who can. Sometimes an MRI is helpful to doctors in the diagnostic phase, but sometimes the symptoms are so clearcut that a diagnosis is possible without one.

If the diagnosis is PF, doctors generally recommend conservative (non-surgical) treatments beginning immediately. You should read the heel pain book on this site and these message boards for more information on conservative treatments of PF as well as for help and support with regards to any problems that come up. If you have PF, it can take months to years to recover and the rate of your recovery is highly dependent on how soon you begin these treatments. That is why seeing a doctor as soon as possible is an excellent plan.

Although PF generally takes several months to heal, doctors here tell me that a substantial majority of people do heal fully in less than a year. Those who don't often opt for ESWT, surgical procedures, and so on.

Carole C