Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1 month PF and TTS Surgery

Posted by Kevin I on 5/30/02 at 20:24 (085849)

All,
I had my open PF and TTS surgery on May 1st. I got my stitches and splint removed on May 20th. I started w/ crutches and 50% weight bearing in a surgical shoe. By May 26th I was walking (gingerly) w/out crutches and wearing my nikes. The nike feels a whole lot better and more support than the surgical shoe. My foot still swells a little, I just don't lace them tight so it has room to swell. I've been taking it pretty easy and taking my crutches to work w/me although I haven't used them much the last few days, but as of today May 30th I really don't think I need them. I'm borrowing a cane from a friend tomorrow and am just going to keep that w/ me as 'just in case security'. For those who don't have major swelling problems, I urge you to get into some supportive shoes as soon as possible, It really worked for me and I'm glad I took that step to putting shoes on. I really believe I wouldn't be walking as good as I am if I was still wearing the surgical shoe. Right now I'm icing foot twice a day, not taking any meds since 1st week of surgery, taking multivitamin and extra vitamin C and Zinc and Amino acids since a few weeks before surgery. I'm also taking bromelain 'it's labeled as a digestive aid' but evidently there is some anti swelling and inflammatory properties also. I have very little swelling. My heel has a numb feeling but not painful, the 'hotspot', morning pain, and pain after sitting a while is gone. I know it's way to soon to call this surgery a success, but overall I'm very pleased at this stage and hope the progression continues. I just want to share what seems to be working for me.

Re: 1 month PF and TTS Surgery

cindyp on 5/30/02 at 21:57 (085860)

Give yourself all the time in the world. Do not over do it. I had some problems with swelling for a few weeks. See your foot was cut open stuff moved around cut out squished and then closed back up. It will take a bit for it to feel right again.

Tonya R. on 5/30/02 at 23:28 (085873)

As someone who is not very far behind you, i wish you speedy recovery(although it sounds as if you are doing great), and the best of luck.

Missy B on 5/30/02 at 23:51 (085875)

Hi Kevin,
It sounds as if you are progressing well from your surgery. I am 18 weeks post PF/TT surgery. My progress has been a little slower than yours but very similar. I have a very conservative pod who put me off from work for nine weeks because I stand almost all day on my job in a hospital laboratory. I was five weeks before I could get my foot into my New Balance athletic shoes and ever since then, I regularly switch back and forth between them and my Birkenstocks. I agree that a good supportive shoe makes a big difference.
I no longer 'ice' my foot, but do soak it in cold water often. It took about 2 months for the 'feeling' to return to my heel, so give yours a little more time.
I do not call my surgery a success yet, but I do feel that I am 80% better than before the surgery. The few people I could find to talk with in my area (that had this or similiar surgery), all told me to wait a year before calling it a success or failure, as nerves do not heal quickly. Like you, I no longer have the severe pain or numbness that I had before surgery, but at times I do feel like I am walking on a bruised foot. It is more of a 'soreness' or achey feeling and is usually along the outside edge of my foot and occasionally, just one little spot on the bottom of my heel. I see my pod on 6/10 and will get my new custom made orthotics at this time. He feels that the orthotics will help relieve the soreness I am experiencing (which may be related to 'cuboid syndrome'). I hope so.
I am glad you are doing so well and hope you will continue to share your progress with us. I did not find this board until after my surgery, but now I enjoy reading the posts every chance I get. I have actually learned more about my condition from this website than I could find in medical books in the library. And more importantly, the messages posted here are real-life experiences, not textbook examples.
Good luck to you. Missy B.

Re: Nike's?

EKC on 5/31/02 at 17:28 (085941)

What Nike shoes did you get? Do you haave (are you getting) orthotics?

Kevin I on 5/31/02 at 23:50 (085974)

EKC,
All they say on them is air ECG, I think they are a cross trainer type. I do have full orthotics where I take out the Nike insole and put in the orthotic. I had them before my surgery, just one of many attempts like shots, PT, taping, night splint, icing, prednisone, along w/ few other things I'm sure I missed. I also bought Birkenstocks because so many people here have recommended them. The Birkenstock on my non-surgery foot feels good, but is to radical (yet) for my foot fresh from surgery. I wear them after a shower, but only for a few minutes until I put the Nikes on. I also bought a new pair of New Balance 754 walking shoes but their still in the box. The Nike's feel good, so I figure why mess w/ trying to break in the New Balance until I have to.

Kevin I on 6/01/02 at 00:19 (085979)

All,
Cindy, Tonya, Missy, Thanks for your comments, concerns and support. Missy 80% is a very good recovery. I'd be willing to bet these new orthotics ( if you get a good custom fit the 1st time) are going to push you into the 90% in a short time. Also, I'm more fortunate at work as I'm in my chair at least 60% of the time. It sounds like your job requires alot more time on your feet which makes a great difference in time for returning to work. Tonya good luck, you're probably almost over the hump. I know I was anxious just being laid up wondering about all the what ifs. I'm very happy now as I believe I can 'see light at the end of the tunnel'. Like Missy said can't call it a success for up to year, but now that I'm actually walking w/out the previous pain, I can't help but smile. I do have some minor swelling, numbness, and stiffness, but I believe that's just part of recovering from the surgery. Good Luck all.

Barbara S on 6/03/02 at 10:52 (086142)

Hi Kevin and all. Kevin you are soooooo lucky. I had my surgery on APril 22nd and I can't even get my foot into my cam walker let alone a shoe. It swells up so bad sometimes I think my skin is going to split open.

I started Pt last Tue. I go three times a week in the am. I doing mostly stretches, then ultra sound, vitamin e rub, then they hook me up to this little machine with pads on it turn it on till I can feel it tinkle. It is to stimulate the circulation in my foot. I have four exercises to do on my own at home. Oh yes, I rode a recumbent bike for 4 minutes. Wasn't too bad. I have one at home, so I asked if I could start riding it,but they said no not until I'm up to 10 mins. at Pt.

I saw my Pod on Fri. the Pt wanted me to ask him about compression socks,or taking my anti-inflammatories. He said no not at this time. He said if are start several things, he would know which one of them is working. Makes sense I guess. We mostly talk about a conversation he had with my lawyers office. See Ameritech ( who I have worked for for 25yrs)
won't approved me to recieve disability pay. I hired a lawyer and he had recieved a call from her office. He told me that he is there for me and all his patience. He doesn't charge me or the lawyers for talking to them, writing statements, or appearing in court if he has too. I will see him June 13. I made a late afternoon appt, in case my foot is still swelling he can see it at it's worse.

I get so discouraged at myself when I read other people are doing so well. Here I am 6wks post Op and I'm lucky to me butting weight on my foot. My Pod did say recovery for me would be slow because of my fibromyalgia, but it still frustrates me.
I'll try and stay positive. Keep up the great recovery everyone hope to join you soon. Take care and God Bless. Barbara S.

Sharon W on 6/03/02 at 11:40 (086146)

Barbara,

I will be joining you soon in waiting to see if I will have a full and successful recovery from TTS surgery. It seems like a very frustrating time, from all the posts I've read on this board and others.

One thing I've noticed, everyone is different and there doesn't seem to be a specific amount of time that it takes for people to complete each stage of recovery from TTS release. And I'm sure you're right, that with the fibromyalgia you are sure to take a bit longer, and will need to take things a bit slower.

If there is one definite trend I've noticed, reading people's reports about their recovery from this surgery, it's that those who had to go back to work before they really felt ready and those who were encouraged by their doctors or others in their life to 'hurry up and recover' -- to get back on their feet right away, to resume normal activities, etc... THAT seems to be a prescription for disaster!

So hang in there, and keep on taking it one step at a time... And I just hope and pray I will have the patience to do the same!!

-- Sharon

Kevin I on 6/04/02 at 13:04 (086268)

Barbara,
Hang in there. It sounds like your Pod has you in a few different therapies. All of which are needed probably. I feel bad asking you this because I'm not a doctor nor do I know about fibromyglia. Doesn't it seem like PT, exercisies, ultrasound, massaging all would increase swelling?? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I'm sure you should be doing this and swelling is just a natural reaction. However, I would think therapies to counteract that swelling would also be warranted. Once again I'm no doctor, I just hate to see you w/ that much pain and swelling. You're right I guess I'm pretty lucky, I'm only 1 week behind you and I guess I could have a setback at anytime, but overall I'm pleased so far. I'm really pulling for you and hope things turn around quickly for you.

Barbara S on 6/04/02 at 18:30 (086294)

HI Kevin, Actually the ortho surgeon is the one who sent me to therapy.
He is real hard to talk to. I have been going to my Pod for 2yrs and he is real easy to talk to so I made an appt with him just to discuss things as the surgeon didn't seem like he wanted to take the time.
The whirlpool is what made my foot swell and we are not doing that anymore. The pt instead went to some kind of stimulating machine, which seems to work better.
Yesterday and today are actually the first days that my foot hasn't swelled up. My ankle area and heel are still swellen, but not the rest of my foot. Maybe things are going to start looking better.
The two big events will be when I can get my foot into a shoe and when I can take that first step. I'm just now able to put some weight on my foot.
My heel is still very thick and numb. I don't have any feeling in it yet either.
How was your incision done? My incision starts under my foot by the front part of my heal (the heal part that is towards my toes.)clear across the bottom of my foot up and around my ankle bone and then about 2 inches up my leg past the ankle bone. The surgeon said the tunnel was completely block. He also did a pf release as the first one didn't do anything, I think he said he did it higher up than the first one my pod did.
It has been a long 6 months,plus I'm fighting work about disability pay.
They haven't paid me for 6 months. I did get 30days pay last in from April 22nd til May 22,but now they are not paying me again some Dr. there is looking over my records deciding if Dr. and Pt reports warrant my being off. My not being able to drive is not part of our disability I guess I'm suppose to call a cab or take a bus.
Thanks for your encouraging words. Hope you recovering still goes well.
Take Care & God Bless. Barbara S.

cindyp on 5/30/02 at 21:57 (085860)

Give yourself all the time in the world. Do not over do it. I had some problems with swelling for a few weeks. See your foot was cut open stuff moved around cut out squished and then closed back up. It will take a bit for it to feel right again.

Tonya R. on 5/30/02 at 23:28 (085873)

As someone who is not very far behind you, i wish you speedy recovery(although it sounds as if you are doing great), and the best of luck.

Missy B on 5/30/02 at 23:51 (085875)

Hi Kevin,
It sounds as if you are progressing well from your surgery. I am 18 weeks post PF/TT surgery. My progress has been a little slower than yours but very similar. I have a very conservative pod who put me off from work for nine weeks because I stand almost all day on my job in a hospital laboratory. I was five weeks before I could get my foot into my New Balance athletic shoes and ever since then, I regularly switch back and forth between them and my Birkenstocks. I agree that a good supportive shoe makes a big difference.
I no longer 'ice' my foot, but do soak it in cold water often. It took about 2 months for the 'feeling' to return to my heel, so give yours a little more time.
I do not call my surgery a success yet, but I do feel that I am 80% better than before the surgery. The few people I could find to talk with in my area (that had this or similiar surgery), all told me to wait a year before calling it a success or failure, as nerves do not heal quickly. Like you, I no longer have the severe pain or numbness that I had before surgery, but at times I do feel like I am walking on a bruised foot. It is more of a 'soreness' or achey feeling and is usually along the outside edge of my foot and occasionally, just one little spot on the bottom of my heel. I see my pod on 6/10 and will get my new custom made orthotics at this time. He feels that the orthotics will help relieve the soreness I am experiencing (which may be related to 'cuboid syndrome'). I hope so.
I am glad you are doing so well and hope you will continue to share your progress with us. I did not find this board until after my surgery, but now I enjoy reading the posts every chance I get. I have actually learned more about my condition from this website than I could find in medical books in the library. And more importantly, the messages posted here are real-life experiences, not textbook examples.
Good luck to you. Missy B.

EKC on 5/31/02 at 17:28 (085941)

What Nike shoes did you get? Do you haave (are you getting) orthotics?

Kevin I on 5/31/02 at 23:50 (085974)

EKC,
All they say on them is air ECG, I think they are a cross trainer type. I do have full orthotics where I take out the Nike insole and put in the orthotic. I had them before my surgery, just one of many attempts like shots, PT, taping, night splint, icing, prednisone, along w/ few other things I'm sure I missed. I also bought Birkenstocks because so many people here have recommended them. The Birkenstock on my non-surgery foot feels good, but is to radical (yet) for my foot fresh from surgery. I wear them after a shower, but only for a few minutes until I put the Nikes on. I also bought a new pair of New Balance 754 walking shoes but their still in the box. The Nike's feel good, so I figure why mess w/ trying to break in the New Balance until I have to.

Kevin I on 6/01/02 at 00:19 (085979)

All,
Cindy, Tonya, Missy, Thanks for your comments, concerns and support. Missy 80% is a very good recovery. I'd be willing to bet these new orthotics ( if you get a good custom fit the 1st time) are going to push you into the 90% in a short time. Also, I'm more fortunate at work as I'm in my chair at least 60% of the time. It sounds like your job requires alot more time on your feet which makes a great difference in time for returning to work. Tonya good luck, you're probably almost over the hump. I know I was anxious just being laid up wondering about all the what ifs. I'm very happy now as I believe I can 'see light at the end of the tunnel'. Like Missy said can't call it a success for up to year, but now that I'm actually walking w/out the previous pain, I can't help but smile. I do have some minor swelling, numbness, and stiffness, but I believe that's just part of recovering from the surgery. Good Luck all.

Barbara S on 6/03/02 at 10:52 (086142)

Hi Kevin and all. Kevin you are soooooo lucky. I had my surgery on APril 22nd and I can't even get my foot into my cam walker let alone a shoe. It swells up so bad sometimes I think my skin is going to split open.

I started Pt last Tue. I go three times a week in the am. I doing mostly stretches, then ultra sound, vitamin e rub, then they hook me up to this little machine with pads on it turn it on till I can feel it tinkle. It is to stimulate the circulation in my foot. I have four exercises to do on my own at home. Oh yes, I rode a recumbent bike for 4 minutes. Wasn't too bad. I have one at home, so I asked if I could start riding it,but they said no not until I'm up to 10 mins. at Pt.

I saw my Pod on Fri. the Pt wanted me to ask him about compression socks,or taking my anti-inflammatories. He said no not at this time. He said if are start several things, he would know which one of them is working. Makes sense I guess. We mostly talk about a conversation he had with my lawyers office. See Ameritech ( who I have worked for for 25yrs)
won't approved me to recieve disability pay. I hired a lawyer and he had recieved a call from her office. He told me that he is there for me and all his patience. He doesn't charge me or the lawyers for talking to them, writing statements, or appearing in court if he has too. I will see him June 13. I made a late afternoon appt, in case my foot is still swelling he can see it at it's worse.

I get so discouraged at myself when I read other people are doing so well. Here I am 6wks post Op and I'm lucky to me butting weight on my foot. My Pod did say recovery for me would be slow because of my fibromyalgia, but it still frustrates me.
I'll try and stay positive. Keep up the great recovery everyone hope to join you soon. Take care and God Bless. Barbara S.

Sharon W on 6/03/02 at 11:40 (086146)

Barbara,

I will be joining you soon in waiting to see if I will have a full and successful recovery from TTS surgery. It seems like a very frustrating time, from all the posts I've read on this board and others.

One thing I've noticed, everyone is different and there doesn't seem to be a specific amount of time that it takes for people to complete each stage of recovery from TTS release. And I'm sure you're right, that with the fibromyalgia you are sure to take a bit longer, and will need to take things a bit slower.

If there is one definite trend I've noticed, reading people's reports about their recovery from this surgery, it's that those who had to go back to work before they really felt ready and those who were encouraged by their doctors or others in their life to 'hurry up and recover' -- to get back on their feet right away, to resume normal activities, etc... THAT seems to be a prescription for disaster!

So hang in there, and keep on taking it one step at a time... And I just hope and pray I will have the patience to do the same!!

-- Sharon

Kevin I on 6/04/02 at 13:04 (086268)

Barbara,
Hang in there. It sounds like your Pod has you in a few different therapies. All of which are needed probably. I feel bad asking you this because I'm not a doctor nor do I know about fibromyglia. Doesn't it seem like PT, exercisies, ultrasound, massaging all would increase swelling?? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I'm sure you should be doing this and swelling is just a natural reaction. However, I would think therapies to counteract that swelling would also be warranted. Once again I'm no doctor, I just hate to see you w/ that much pain and swelling. You're right I guess I'm pretty lucky, I'm only 1 week behind you and I guess I could have a setback at anytime, but overall I'm pleased so far. I'm really pulling for you and hope things turn around quickly for you.

Barbara S on 6/04/02 at 18:30 (086294)

HI Kevin, Actually the ortho surgeon is the one who sent me to therapy.
He is real hard to talk to. I have been going to my Pod for 2yrs and he is real easy to talk to so I made an appt with him just to discuss things as the surgeon didn't seem like he wanted to take the time.
The whirlpool is what made my foot swell and we are not doing that anymore. The pt instead went to some kind of stimulating machine, which seems to work better.
Yesterday and today are actually the first days that my foot hasn't swelled up. My ankle area and heel are still swellen, but not the rest of my foot. Maybe things are going to start looking better.
The two big events will be when I can get my foot into a shoe and when I can take that first step. I'm just now able to put some weight on my foot.
My heel is still very thick and numb. I don't have any feeling in it yet either.
How was your incision done? My incision starts under my foot by the front part of my heal (the heal part that is towards my toes.)clear across the bottom of my foot up and around my ankle bone and then about 2 inches up my leg past the ankle bone. The surgeon said the tunnel was completely block. He also did a pf release as the first one didn't do anything, I think he said he did it higher up than the first one my pod did.
It has been a long 6 months,plus I'm fighting work about disability pay.
They haven't paid me for 6 months. I did get 30days pay last in from April 22nd til May 22,but now they are not paying me again some Dr. there is looking over my records deciding if Dr. and Pt reports warrant my being off. My not being able to drive is not part of our disability I guess I'm suppose to call a cab or take a bus.
Thanks for your encouraging words. Hope you recovering still goes well.
Take Care & God Bless. Barbara S.