Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tight Pulling Burn Pain??!!

Posted by Brian on 5/31/02 at 19:49 (085951)

I had PF since last August. It started as an acute pain right infront of my heel where they usually say it supposed to be. They gave me orthodics right away but they caused too much pain on my heels (not causing PF pain, just made my heels ache from the hard impact) because I am a mailman. Anyway, I got a few cortizone shots but they never really helped. I took alot of vacation time and switched stations. Now, after a few months off I went back to work and there is now a new type of pain! This new station is mostly uphill where as my old station was flat. The acute pain in my heel is gone when I walk but I get this extremely tight pulling pain after a few minutes that runs from where my big toe joint is (not the nuckle, the big joint in the foot itselft) down to where my PF is, and can even feel it in my calf. I get this pain and sometimes I stop and shake out my foot.. the pain goes away and then I continue on. Or sometimes.. I bite my lip and walk through the burning.. hopeing that maybe its stretching everything out? Anyone have any ideas on this????

I think i'll be claiming work comp soon if this doesn't get any better. My other foot never hurt before but recently has started to get the slight acute PF pains only when I press on it reel hard with my finger. Hmm.. this started right after I started doing toe raises in my exercise routine. Toe raises bad????

Also! I just started stretching big time today in hopes to further stretch thigns out.. huge monster calf stretches.. is this good or bad?

Well .. I guess I'll try icing again. I use the splint most nights.. but I wake up in the middle of the night with my middle toe numb and an intense preasure from my toes pushing into the spint.. like they are pushing with extreme might.

Any thoughts on anything appreciated.

Re: Tight Pulling Burn Pain??!!

Brian on 5/31/02 at 19:54 (085952)

Oh, more about this new tight burning pulling pain.. It only occurs when I deliver for more than 15 minutes and uphill on grass. Maybe its good.. like its stretching everything out?? Because I don't have the acute PF pain during this.. like I used to when I delivered to flat areas. Or is this the next phase in PF????

Brian on 5/31/02 at 22:01 (085963)

And another observaton.. I have been observing alot of people walking recently and trying to figure out if maybe by walking different .. maybe that will help the problem. I seem to goosestep alot.. if that makes sense.. my form is very goosesteppish.. i walk with my legs kinda straight and the back of my heel hits first then the rest.. so if im on a hard surface u hear ka-klick from one step as the back of my heel hits then the front of the foot. So! I altered my step a few days ago.. trying to do the opposite of a goosetep.. each time I walk I try to high knee it. Ya know bend the kneed up and press down.. like a army march if that makes sense. As long as I keep high knees in my head.. I will totaly change my walking form from a goosestep walk (back of heel first) to a marching step (front of heel/middle of foot first). Dunno if this would help.. but I figure my step was wrong anyway.. as I look at the way my shoe wears down compared to most other people.. the back of the heel wears down the most... and when I say back of heel I mean total back.. not on the bottom.. on the back edge.

Sorry for random thoughts/

Brian on 5/31/02 at 22:05 (085965)

Okay, last extra tidbit about the tight pulling burn pain incase anyone can relate.. it also differs from my orignal pf acute pinpoint pain in that i can feel it on the sides of the foot a bit as well.. but mostly at the big toe joing.. all down the foot.. to where the acute pf spot is (but the burning pain now takes its place.. pulling burning pain) and then even the bottom of my calf feels the pull too. Again, this is only when I deliver for about 15 minutes .. up hill and such in grass.. and it goes away if i stop for a second and shake my foot around.. or I just bite my lip.. take the intense pain and keep walking hoping that this is somehow stretching everything out for the better. Ahhh i dunno
'

Re: Difficulties of being a mailman with PF!!

Carole C on 6/01/02 at 06:53 (085990)

You are in a tough situation, being a mailman with PF. We have some other mailmen here, including at least one who is on disability, but apparently it's not easy to get. I'm hoping one of them will post on this thread.

I've always been pretty sedentary, so I'm not sure how good any advice I might have for you would be. But since nobody else has answered yet, I'll try! Maybe we can get some discussion going here.

For me, doing toe raises would have really aggravated my PF a lot until I was mostly healed. Now, I am lots better and I can easily stand on my tip-toes to get things down from shelves, but I would not have dared try that a few months ago.

Most of us find that stretching while sitting down is best, because the standing calf stretches (which are called 'weightbearing stretches') can aggravate our PF.

The pain that you feel from the ball of your foot down through your arch area does happen in PF. Shaking your foot out is smart. Another smart thing might be to get new, more supportive shoes. Maybe soft orthotics would help. Mine are soft, and they provide a lot of cushioning as well as helping to heal my PF.

Well, that is the best I could do. Maybe one of our other mailmen here (or others who must walk a lot in their jobs) will notice these posts and comment. Good luck to you, and I hope you recover soon.

Carole C

Re: Toe raises really messed up my feet

Ellen J. on 6/01/02 at 08:46 (085991)

Hi,
I was just getting over P.F., feeling much better and decided it was time to start strengthening my feet. I did 20 gentle toe raises and my feet were a total mess the next day. It took awhle to recover but I am now much better. No more toe raises for me until I'm really cured.
Ellen

Nancy N on 6/01/02 at 20:33 (086039)

I had the same problem, Ellen. My PT had me doing calf raises (I assume we're talking about the same thing--standing next to a wall and raising yourself up on your toes?) and I'm not sure if they made me worse, but they sure didn't make me better. I think it's the weight-bearing aspect of the exercise. I've found I can accomplish the same goal as far as my calf muscles are concerned if I sit on the floor and use a resistance band. The muscle is still working, but you avoid having your full body weight involved.

For whatever it's worth...

Re: good idea

Ellen J. on 6/05/02 at 17:48 (086413)

Hi,
I like the idea of using the resistance band. I'll try that when my feet get stronger.
Thanks!
Ellen

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 11:44 (086527)

HI Brian, be careful friend ,I had that same burning (hot poker like). I thought walking or stretching through it would help. Pain seems to be the best indicator to STOP. Get it checked out. Turns out that pain I had was my PF tearing and partial detachment on the inner third insertion point. Good Luck and God bless, Lisa K.

Brian on 5/31/02 at 19:54 (085952)

Oh, more about this new tight burning pulling pain.. It only occurs when I deliver for more than 15 minutes and uphill on grass. Maybe its good.. like its stretching everything out?? Because I don't have the acute PF pain during this.. like I used to when I delivered to flat areas. Or is this the next phase in PF????

Brian on 5/31/02 at 22:01 (085963)

And another observaton.. I have been observing alot of people walking recently and trying to figure out if maybe by walking different .. maybe that will help the problem. I seem to goosestep alot.. if that makes sense.. my form is very goosesteppish.. i walk with my legs kinda straight and the back of my heel hits first then the rest.. so if im on a hard surface u hear ka-klick from one step as the back of my heel hits then the front of the foot. So! I altered my step a few days ago.. trying to do the opposite of a goosetep.. each time I walk I try to high knee it. Ya know bend the kneed up and press down.. like a army march if that makes sense. As long as I keep high knees in my head.. I will totaly change my walking form from a goosestep walk (back of heel first) to a marching step (front of heel/middle of foot first). Dunno if this would help.. but I figure my step was wrong anyway.. as I look at the way my shoe wears down compared to most other people.. the back of the heel wears down the most... and when I say back of heel I mean total back.. not on the bottom.. on the back edge.

Sorry for random thoughts/

Brian on 5/31/02 at 22:05 (085965)

Okay, last extra tidbit about the tight pulling burn pain incase anyone can relate.. it also differs from my orignal pf acute pinpoint pain in that i can feel it on the sides of the foot a bit as well.. but mostly at the big toe joing.. all down the foot.. to where the acute pf spot is (but the burning pain now takes its place.. pulling burning pain) and then even the bottom of my calf feels the pull too. Again, this is only when I deliver for about 15 minutes .. up hill and such in grass.. and it goes away if i stop for a second and shake my foot around.. or I just bite my lip.. take the intense pain and keep walking hoping that this is somehow stretching everything out for the better. Ahhh i dunno
'

Re: Difficulties of being a mailman with PF!!

Carole C on 6/01/02 at 06:53 (085990)

You are in a tough situation, being a mailman with PF. We have some other mailmen here, including at least one who is on disability, but apparently it's not easy to get. I'm hoping one of them will post on this thread.

I've always been pretty sedentary, so I'm not sure how good any advice I might have for you would be. But since nobody else has answered yet, I'll try! Maybe we can get some discussion going here.

For me, doing toe raises would have really aggravated my PF a lot until I was mostly healed. Now, I am lots better and I can easily stand on my tip-toes to get things down from shelves, but I would not have dared try that a few months ago.

Most of us find that stretching while sitting down is best, because the standing calf stretches (which are called 'weightbearing stretches') can aggravate our PF.

The pain that you feel from the ball of your foot down through your arch area does happen in PF. Shaking your foot out is smart. Another smart thing might be to get new, more supportive shoes. Maybe soft orthotics would help. Mine are soft, and they provide a lot of cushioning as well as helping to heal my PF.

Well, that is the best I could do. Maybe one of our other mailmen here (or others who must walk a lot in their jobs) will notice these posts and comment. Good luck to you, and I hope you recover soon.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 6/01/02 at 08:46 (085991)

Hi,
I was just getting over P.F., feeling much better and decided it was time to start strengthening my feet. I did 20 gentle toe raises and my feet were a total mess the next day. It took awhle to recover but I am now much better. No more toe raises for me until I'm really cured.
Ellen

Nancy N on 6/01/02 at 20:33 (086039)

I had the same problem, Ellen. My PT had me doing calf raises (I assume we're talking about the same thing--standing next to a wall and raising yourself up on your toes?) and I'm not sure if they made me worse, but they sure didn't make me better. I think it's the weight-bearing aspect of the exercise. I've found I can accomplish the same goal as far as my calf muscles are concerned if I sit on the floor and use a resistance band. The muscle is still working, but you avoid having your full body weight involved.

For whatever it's worth...

Re: good idea

Ellen J. on 6/05/02 at 17:48 (086413)

Hi,
I like the idea of using the resistance band. I'll try that when my feet get stronger.
Thanks!
Ellen

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 11:44 (086527)

HI Brian, be careful friend ,I had that same burning (hot poker like). I thought walking or stretching through it would help. Pain seems to be the best indicator to STOP. Get it checked out. Turns out that pain I had was my PF tearing and partial detachment on the inner third insertion point. Good Luck and God bless, Lisa K.