Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birkenstock in the UK

Posted by Nigel B on 6/01/02 at 12:23 (086006)

For any UK sufferers-there is a UK site-Birkenstock.co.uk (obvious really I suppose!)-gives addresses all over UK of suppliers-also phone 020 76032644-I got mine from Travellers 55 Grey St Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: birkenstock in the UK

AmyM on 6/01/02 at 15:34 (086022)

Watch the UK site, (birkenstock.co.uk) I ordered online, but their site wasn't secure and I had to cancel my credit card. The company then cancelled my order. Not sure why but it took about a month to sort the whole thing out.
I now buy through the German website, takes longer, but at least its secure.

AmyM on 6/01/02 at 15:36 (086024)

Watch the UK site, (birkenstock.co.uk) I ordered online, but their site wasn't secure and I had to cancel my credit card. The company then cancelled my order. Not sure why but it took about a month to sort the whole thing out.

Nigel B on 6/02/02 at 07:15 (086059)

Thanks for the tip-tried Birks first time hesterday but that lump just before the toe ridge really digs in

Re: birkenstock in the UK -- to nigel

nancy s. on 6/02/02 at 08:56 (086064)

nigel, are you certain that you got a big enough size? you shouldn't be feeling that ridge enough to bother you. did you try the next size up?

if you did and these were the best, and you plan to keep them, one way that i speed along the molding of the cork to your foot is: i leave them right outside the shower, and step into them when i get out while my feet are still wet. i think that speeds along the process, although it could all be in my head.

someone on this board once took a hammer to a birk ridge because it bothered her. i don't think she ever posted as to whether it helped or not. something to think about if you have nothing to lose with them....

nancy

Re: Did you break them in?

Carole C in NOLA on 6/02/02 at 09:29 (086068)

When getting new Birkenstocks, it's important NOT to wear them more than an hour the first day. If you have sensitive feet, do like I do then wear them only an hour while sitting. The next day, increase by a half hour or hour, and continue increasing an hour per day until you are up to at least five hours.

You can't really tell anything about them until they are broken in. If you wore them for three hours or longer yesterday, I'd suggest not wearing them at all for a week and then starting with the break-in schedule above.

Carole C

Nigel b on 6/02/02 at 13:08 (086084)

Thanks -I am pretty sure they are the right size-it isnt the toe ridge that hurts rather the end of the central bulge which dips down an inch before the toe ridge -if you know what I mean!-maybe it just hits some of my PF-hello to Carole also

Ashley S. on 6/02/02 at 16:27 (086102)

Why do you think you need to break them in? They seem okay to me, but if you think they will damage my feet - AHHHH......I just need to be able to wear something!!! I also bought birks from http://www.sierratradingpost.com - they are the enclosed oxford type - cute! Right now the birks are the only thing I have!!

AShley

Carole C in NOLA on 6/02/02 at 19:30 (086108)

The reason I think they need to be broken in, is that Birkenstock says they need to be broken in.

Some people have more trouble than others and need to follow the break-in to the letter. Others can 'get away' with less break in. When somebody posts that his Birkenstocks that he bought yesterday are hurting, naturally the first thing many of us would ask is whether or not he knows about the break in period.

Carole C

nancy s. on 6/02/02 at 19:36 (086109)

that's true. many people need to break in with birks the same as with orthotics. i was lucky and needed little break-in, but most folks i know need to adjust to them over time. once you've adjusted, if it turns out they're right for you, you'll never regret it, and they'll feel wonderful.

my own little motto is that once you've had foot problems, it's probably a good idea to break in any new shoe over a period of time. (i didn't break in those lousy $6 hikers this past winter and paid for it with very nasty back pain for several weeks!)

nancy

Re: Advice on Birks Please!!

Yasmin on 6/04/02 at 18:03 (086290)

Hi

I hope someone can help me, I new to all of this! I have feet that over pronate and PF in my right foot. I get the impression that Birks are good for this type of prob. How will I know if they suit my feet? They're quite expensive, but I need something for home. What are shoes are good to look at, and most importantly what should I be looking for when I try these shoes on?

Thanks
Yasmin

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 20:10 (086308)

Yasmin, if it is at all possible, it's best to be fitted at your Birkenstock store. Try to be fitted at a Birkenstock store even if you plan to buy them online, because the fit is crucial. The sales people in the Birkenstock stores seem to be highly trained in fitting these shoes, better than the sales people at regular shoe stores that carry them, so if you are in London I'd suggest going to that Birkenstock store in Covent Garden. Gee! I sound like I know where Covent Garden is! LOL I don't know the area at all.

While you are trying them on, you will probably be able to tell if you have a bad problem with them. Most people don't; they are very popular with PF sufferers who overpronate.

Get Birkenstocks with the 'classic footbed', to start. That includes such styles as the Arizona sandal (most popular with PF sufferers here) and the Florida Sandal and Boston clog. Tell the saleslady that you have plantar fasciitis, and so the fit is especially important.

Yes, they ARE quite expensive. It seems like everything for PF is so expensive! Most people do think that Birkenstocks are worth the price, though. When I first came to these message boards, it took a couple of months before people persuaded me to finally buy a pair. Suzanne especially was urging me to try them (at that time, Birkenstocks were working very well for her).

I don't think I would have healed without them, although I only wear them around the house, for the most part.

Carole C

Yasmin on 6/05/02 at 11:38 (086372)

Thanks for the advice Carole, I'm glad you're healing well!

Yasmin

Re: no encryption key when you go to order..(UK site)

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 11:30 (086522)

they have a blurb about encryption...but I checked out the cart and NO encryption!!!!

Very scarey...very insecure. :(

I sell computer security stuff for a living so I had to check this out...could not help myself. ;)

Re: Birk ridge

Andy O on 7/05/02 at 10:50 (089171)

One of our local stores tends to recommend Birks in sizes too large. Under these conditions I could see the ridge missing the mark and hitting the wrong spot.
I believe that if sized correctly you should not even be aware of the ridge. Unless perhaps your feet have become deformed from wearing shoes too small for you or some other reason.

AmyM on 6/01/02 at 15:34 (086022)

AmyM on 6/01/02 at 15:36 (086024)

Nigel B on 6/02/02 at 07:15 (086059)

Thanks for the tip-tried Birks first time hesterday but that lump just before the toe ridge really digs in

nancy s. on 6/02/02 at 08:56 (086064)

nigel, are you certain that you got a big enough size? you shouldn't be feeling that ridge enough to bother you. did you try the next size up?

if you did and these were the best, and you plan to keep them, one way that i speed along the molding of the cork to your foot is: i leave them right outside the shower, and step into them when i get out while my feet are still wet. i think that speeds along the process, although it could all be in my head.

someone on this board once took a hammer to a birk ridge because it bothered her. i don't think she ever posted as to whether it helped or not. something to think about if you have nothing to lose with them....

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 6/02/02 at 09:29 (086068)

When getting new Birkenstocks, it's important NOT to wear them more than an hour the first day. If you have sensitive feet, do like I do then wear them only an hour while sitting. The next day, increase by a half hour or hour, and continue increasing an hour per day until you are up to at least five hours.

You can't really tell anything about them until they are broken in. If you wore them for three hours or longer yesterday, I'd suggest not wearing them at all for a week and then starting with the break-in schedule above.

Carole C

Nigel b on 6/02/02 at 13:08 (086084)

Thanks -I am pretty sure they are the right size-it isnt the toe ridge that hurts rather the end of the central bulge which dips down an inch before the toe ridge -if you know what I mean!-maybe it just hits some of my PF-hello to Carole also

Ashley S. on 6/02/02 at 16:27 (086102)

Why do you think you need to break them in? They seem okay to me, but if you think they will damage my feet - AHHHH......I just need to be able to wear something!!! I also bought birks from http://www.sierratradingpost.com - they are the enclosed oxford type - cute! Right now the birks are the only thing I have!!

AShley

Carole C in NOLA on 6/02/02 at 19:30 (086108)

The reason I think they need to be broken in, is that Birkenstock says they need to be broken in.

Some people have more trouble than others and need to follow the break-in to the letter. Others can 'get away' with less break in. When somebody posts that his Birkenstocks that he bought yesterday are hurting, naturally the first thing many of us would ask is whether or not he knows about the break in period.

Carole C

nancy s. on 6/02/02 at 19:36 (086109)

that's true. many people need to break in with birks the same as with orthotics. i was lucky and needed little break-in, but most folks i know need to adjust to them over time. once you've adjusted, if it turns out they're right for you, you'll never regret it, and they'll feel wonderful.

my own little motto is that once you've had foot problems, it's probably a good idea to break in any new shoe over a period of time. (i didn't break in those lousy $6 hikers this past winter and paid for it with very nasty back pain for several weeks!)

nancy

Yasmin on 6/04/02 at 18:03 (086290)

Hi

I hope someone can help me, I new to all of this! I have feet that over pronate and PF in my right foot. I get the impression that Birks are good for this type of prob. How will I know if they suit my feet? They're quite expensive, but I need something for home. What are shoes are good to look at, and most importantly what should I be looking for when I try these shoes on?

Thanks
Yasmin

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 20:10 (086308)

Yasmin, if it is at all possible, it's best to be fitted at your Birkenstock store. Try to be fitted at a Birkenstock store even if you plan to buy them online, because the fit is crucial. The sales people in the Birkenstock stores seem to be highly trained in fitting these shoes, better than the sales people at regular shoe stores that carry them, so if you are in London I'd suggest going to that Birkenstock store in Covent Garden. Gee! I sound like I know where Covent Garden is! LOL I don't know the area at all.

While you are trying them on, you will probably be able to tell if you have a bad problem with them. Most people don't; they are very popular with PF sufferers who overpronate.

Get Birkenstocks with the 'classic footbed', to start. That includes such styles as the Arizona sandal (most popular with PF sufferers here) and the Florida Sandal and Boston clog. Tell the saleslady that you have plantar fasciitis, and so the fit is especially important.

Yes, they ARE quite expensive. It seems like everything for PF is so expensive! Most people do think that Birkenstocks are worth the price, though. When I first came to these message boards, it took a couple of months before people persuaded me to finally buy a pair. Suzanne especially was urging me to try them (at that time, Birkenstocks were working very well for her).

I don't think I would have healed without them, although I only wear them around the house, for the most part.

Carole C

Yasmin on 6/05/02 at 11:38 (086372)

Thanks for the advice Carole, I'm glad you're healing well!

Yasmin

Re: no encryption key when you go to order..(UK site)

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 11:30 (086522)

they have a blurb about encryption...but I checked out the cart and NO encryption!!!!

Very scarey...very insecure. :(

I sell computer security stuff for a living so I had to check this out...could not help myself. ;)

Re: Birk ridge

Andy O on 7/05/02 at 10:50 (089171)

One of our local stores tends to recommend Birks in sizes too large. Under these conditions I could see the ridge missing the mark and hitting the wrong spot.
I believe that if sized correctly you should not even be aware of the ridge. Unless perhaps your feet have become deformed from wearing shoes too small for you or some other reason.