Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back pain form over compensating

Posted by Ann on 6/03/02 at 09:28 (086136)

Just a shortquestion. Does anyone else have back pain from favoring the other foot and leg ? I am really hurting and do not know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Back pain form over compensating

Barbara S on 6/03/02 at 11:15 (086143)

Hi Ann, I not only have back pain, but hip and knee pain on my left side. I have had a problem with my right foot for over a year. A failed PF Surgery in nov. has let to a Tarsel Tunnel Surgery on April 22nd 2002.
Before my TTS Surgery I visited a Chiropractor once a week and I have and full body massage every other Fri. Both of these seem to help.
I was diagnosed with two bulging disc in my lower back several years ago,so some of my pain could be from this.
Heat on my back also helps. Good Luck Barbara S.

Suzanne D on 6/03/02 at 11:36 (086145)

Hello, Ann! I am sorry to hear that your back is hurting, too. I have also noticed knee pain since my PF began a year ago. Many others have written about hip and back pain. Certainly, everything is related!

Aside from anti-inflammatory and pain medications and using heat for your back, I think from my understanding that the best thing you can do is to make sure you are wearing the very best shoes/orthotics(if necessary). These will not only help your foot pain but correct faults in your walking which may be at the root of your foot pain and also causing back pain.

My best wishes to you!
Suzanne :-)

Rick R on 6/03/02 at 12:21 (086152)

Ann,

At this point my back is #1 on the hit parade. After successful surgery for PF (1996, left side including spur removal) the back is my worst problem by far. There is some chronic pain but the occasional spasms are the real killer, completely debilitating. What sort of pain are you in?

I have had left knee difficulty and a little minor left hip pain as well. I did return to running 4 years ago so I shouldn't be shocked to be in some pain. My left leg is about 1/2 in longer than my right, which may be a factor in the whole mess. I do feel that the 13 years of compensation prior to surgery was a factor. Even in the last 5 years I have favored the heels by staying on the balls of my feet. I just gave myself about 4 months off of running to give the old carcass a chance to mend. Since then I have had one spasm attack and no change in the chronic pain. I'm about to resume running and see what happens.

Best of luck,

Rick

R C on 6/04/02 at 08:11 (086236)

I feel your pain, Ann. I had PF in the right foot for 2+ years. During this time I gradually irritated my left hip from changing my gait. I didn't do anything aggressive to treat this -- just Advil and a lot of careful stretching. It resolved over 2 or 3 months. I also got some aches and pains from using crutches (4 weeks in a cast, plus several more weeks before I could walk on both feet full time). Mostly lower back pain, plus the ever-present risk that I would get PF in the other foot as well. For the back pain I get periodic spinal care from a chiropractor (who also suggested some exercises). Fortunately, all's well now. Keep your chin up, you'll get over this with time.

Ann on 6/04/02 at 11:36 (086260)

Thanks for everyones responses. I have a posterior tibial tendon problem and an accessory navicular in my right ankle. I am scheduled for surgery the end of June. I work on my feet 9 hours a day and I am favoring my back and putting all my weight on my left leg to take the pressure off of my right ankle. It is killing me.

john h on 6/05/02 at 17:58 (086421)

Rick: with a bad back take a look at http://www.bonati.com

they recently gave a lecture in our city and they will look at your MRI and give you their opinion for free. very inovative procedures and they have worked on some nfl players. any procedure they do is an out patient procedure and you walk out of the clinic.

Barbara S on 6/03/02 at 11:15 (086143)

Hi Ann, I not only have back pain, but hip and knee pain on my left side. I have had a problem with my right foot for over a year. A failed PF Surgery in nov. has let to a Tarsel Tunnel Surgery on April 22nd 2002.
Before my TTS Surgery I visited a Chiropractor once a week and I have and full body massage every other Fri. Both of these seem to help.
I was diagnosed with two bulging disc in my lower back several years ago,so some of my pain could be from this.
Heat on my back also helps. Good Luck Barbara S.

Suzanne D on 6/03/02 at 11:36 (086145)

Hello, Ann! I am sorry to hear that your back is hurting, too. I have also noticed knee pain since my PF began a year ago. Many others have written about hip and back pain. Certainly, everything is related!

Aside from anti-inflammatory and pain medications and using heat for your back, I think from my understanding that the best thing you can do is to make sure you are wearing the very best shoes/orthotics(if necessary). These will not only help your foot pain but correct faults in your walking which may be at the root of your foot pain and also causing back pain.

My best wishes to you!
Suzanne :-)

Rick R on 6/03/02 at 12:21 (086152)

Ann,

At this point my back is #1 on the hit parade. After successful surgery for PF (1996, left side including spur removal) the back is my worst problem by far. There is some chronic pain but the occasional spasms are the real killer, completely debilitating. What sort of pain are you in?

I have had left knee difficulty and a little minor left hip pain as well. I did return to running 4 years ago so I shouldn't be shocked to be in some pain. My left leg is about 1/2 in longer than my right, which may be a factor in the whole mess. I do feel that the 13 years of compensation prior to surgery was a factor. Even in the last 5 years I have favored the heels by staying on the balls of my feet. I just gave myself about 4 months off of running to give the old carcass a chance to mend. Since then I have had one spasm attack and no change in the chronic pain. I'm about to resume running and see what happens.

Best of luck,

Rick

R C on 6/04/02 at 08:11 (086236)

I feel your pain, Ann. I had PF in the right foot for 2+ years. During this time I gradually irritated my left hip from changing my gait. I didn't do anything aggressive to treat this -- just Advil and a lot of careful stretching. It resolved over 2 or 3 months. I also got some aches and pains from using crutches (4 weeks in a cast, plus several more weeks before I could walk on both feet full time). Mostly lower back pain, plus the ever-present risk that I would get PF in the other foot as well. For the back pain I get periodic spinal care from a chiropractor (who also suggested some exercises). Fortunately, all's well now. Keep your chin up, you'll get over this with time.

Ann on 6/04/02 at 11:36 (086260)

Thanks for everyones responses. I have a posterior tibial tendon problem and an accessory navicular in my right ankle. I am scheduled for surgery the end of June. I work on my feet 9 hours a day and I am favoring my back and putting all my weight on my left leg to take the pressure off of my right ankle. It is killing me.

john h on 6/05/02 at 17:58 (086421)

Rick: with a bad back take a look at http://www.bonati.com

they recently gave a lecture in our city and they will look at your MRI and give you their opinion for free. very inovative procedures and they have worked on some nfl players. any procedure they do is an out patient procedure and you walk out of the clinic.