Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am a rebel..."fired" my pod and have not replaced him...

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 6/03/02 at 16:26 (086174)

As some of you know my saga...I had it with bad bedside manner and 'fired' pod after filling out complaint form. I canceled my appt with him and intend just to rest feet, try (GOD WILLING) to lose weight, wear orthodics...take vitamins...STRETCH a lot and hope for the best.

I intend also to break into hard orthodics.

I left a msg for my primary doc t refer me to another pod...this time with a better bedside manner. No response.

Should I nag her and get another pod? Do any of you feel it is necessary?

Just curious and feeling rebelious.

Re: I am a rebel..."fired" my pod and have not replaced him...

Sharon W on 6/03/02 at 16:45 (086177)

Mahatmelissama,

All I can say is I understand your frustration. Too many times to count, I've had the feeling that I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, 'I QUIT! No more Pods, no more neuros, no more PT, and above all NO MORE TREATMENTS THAT DON'T WORK!!

But in the end, I always end up following doctors' orders... and showing up for the next appointment.

-- Sharon

BrianG on 6/03/02 at 20:41 (086194)

Have you thought about seeing an Orthopedic doc? Just be prepared to run, if he suggests surgery :*)

BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 6/04/02 at 10:15 (086250)

Hi Brian,

Have you had better luck with an ortho? Just wondering...

Re: I went, but he couldn't help :*(

BrianG on 6/04/02 at 18:05 (086291)

No, I'm afraid he couldn't help me, but it was just another avenue I felt I had to go down. It was quite a few years before I could accept that PF was causing this disabeling pain. Until that time, I tried everything!!! The ortho guys may have a lttle different type of PT, if your interested in that. Or he may say you really need surgery. Then it wll be time to find out why he wants to cut you. It might just be necessary, but I'm certainly hoping not. Good luck

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/02 at 19:28 (086302)

You live in an area with a lot of good docs. Do you have the freedom to go to any doc?

I don't want to generalize, but often docs with big HMO practices are oriented toward high volume. They often just do not have the time for good patient care. They have to play the HMO's numbers game -- provide treatment for as many people as cheaply as possible-- good bedside manner is a luxury in the world of managed care.
Ed

Re: I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 11:25 (086520)

I have to go to the ones in their network (few and far between)...with a referal from my primary doctor (who btw is very cool..just very very very busy and hard to get ahold of).

If you know anybody outstanding, perhaps I could arrange out of pocket and see them once in a blue moon (since it would be pretty expensive).

Please let me know (I live in San Jose Metropolitan area).

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 11:38 (086525)

hi, find another one. YOU and your feet deserve good care. I am on my 2nd POD who is much better, taught me how to tape my foot, got an anti spring pronating wrap, a referral to (finally) an excellent PT, and got me into a much better removable cast. Please don't go it alone. Try the Med> Society site posted here earlier,which shows the Dr.'s education backround etc. That is how I found this new POD. I tried to do it alone and ended up tearing and detaching the inner third of my platar fascia,God Bless you,Lisa K. Hang in there ,healing happens.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:42 (086579)

I do know the way to San Jose but I do not know a lot of pods in that area.
A couple of names that come to mind include:

Leonard Greenwald, DPM 408-926-5855

Chris S. Horine, DPM 408-358-2666

Ed

Re: sent the first doc an e-mail just now...

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 17:25 (086589)

since i found him online. ;)

I asked him about ESWT since i am considering that.

Lara T on 6/09/02 at 09:58 (086833)

My doctor will usually send me to a specific doctor if I give her a name. One thing I have learned to look for is doctors (be it orthopods or pods) that tend to do substantial business with sports injuries. I wouldn't call myself an athlete, barely a week-end athlete, but it was obviously related to substantial use, and I was too young (middle-aged) for it to be simply aging issues. Diabetes & structural problems had been ruled out by my primary care physician.

Also, orthopods tend to be specialized within the discipline, with some focusing on foot/ankle injuries. That isn't a guarantee, as I saw 3 orthopods, and two were familiar with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, and one wasn't/ But even she still gave me some good general advice about treatment options.

I must admit, I didn't necessarily go back right away. Sometimes I have energy to explore options and hope for something better, and somestimes I need to relax and just accept things as they are, quit living with constant disappointment - at least for awhile.

Sharon W on 6/03/02 at 16:45 (086177)

Mahatmelissama,

All I can say is I understand your frustration. Too many times to count, I've had the feeling that I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, 'I QUIT! No more Pods, no more neuros, no more PT, and above all NO MORE TREATMENTS THAT DON'T WORK!!

But in the end, I always end up following doctors' orders... and showing up for the next appointment.

-- Sharon

BrianG on 6/03/02 at 20:41 (086194)

Have you thought about seeing an Orthopedic doc? Just be prepared to run, if he suggests surgery :*)

BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 6/04/02 at 10:15 (086250)

Hi Brian,

Have you had better luck with an ortho? Just wondering...

Re: I went, but he couldn't help :*(

BrianG on 6/04/02 at 18:05 (086291)

No, I'm afraid he couldn't help me, but it was just another avenue I felt I had to go down. It was quite a few years before I could accept that PF was causing this disabeling pain. Until that time, I tried everything!!! The ortho guys may have a lttle different type of PT, if your interested in that. Or he may say you really need surgery. Then it wll be time to find out why he wants to cut you. It might just be necessary, but I'm certainly hoping not. Good luck

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/02 at 19:28 (086302)

You live in an area with a lot of good docs. Do you have the freedom to go to any doc?

I don't want to generalize, but often docs with big HMO practices are oriented toward high volume. They often just do not have the time for good patient care. They have to play the HMO's numbers game -- provide treatment for as many people as cheaply as possible-- good bedside manner is a luxury in the world of managed care.
Ed

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 11:25 (086520)

I have to go to the ones in their network (few and far between)...with a referal from my primary doctor (who btw is very cool..just very very very busy and hard to get ahold of).

If you know anybody outstanding, perhaps I could arrange out of pocket and see them once in a blue moon (since it would be pretty expensive).

Please let me know (I live in San Jose Metropolitan area).

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 11:38 (086525)

hi, find another one. YOU and your feet deserve good care. I am on my 2nd POD who is much better, taught me how to tape my foot, got an anti spring pronating wrap, a referral to (finally) an excellent PT, and got me into a much better removable cast. Please don't go it alone. Try the Med> Society site posted here earlier,which shows the Dr.'s education backround etc. That is how I found this new POD. I tried to do it alone and ended up tearing and detaching the inner third of my platar fascia,God Bless you,Lisa K. Hang in there ,healing happens.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:42 (086579)

I do know the way to San Jose but I do not know a lot of pods in that area.
A couple of names that come to mind include:

Leonard Greenwald, DPM 408-926-5855

Chris S. Horine, DPM 408-358-2666

Ed

Re: sent the first doc an e-mail just now...

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 17:25 (086589)

since i found him online. ;)

I asked him about ESWT since i am considering that.

Lara T on 6/09/02 at 09:58 (086833)

My doctor will usually send me to a specific doctor if I give her a name. One thing I have learned to look for is doctors (be it orthopods or pods) that tend to do substantial business with sports injuries. I wouldn't call myself an athlete, barely a week-end athlete, but it was obviously related to substantial use, and I was too young (middle-aged) for it to be simply aging issues. Diabetes & structural problems had been ruled out by my primary care physician.

Also, orthopods tend to be specialized within the discipline, with some focusing on foot/ankle injuries. That isn't a guarantee, as I saw 3 orthopods, and two were familiar with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, and one wasn't/ But even she still gave me some good general advice about treatment options.

I must admit, I didn't necessarily go back right away. Sometimes I have energy to explore options and hope for something better, and somestimes I need to relax and just accept things as they are, quit living with constant disappointment - at least for awhile.