Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Both feet ESWT

Posted by Carolyn F. on 6/03/02 at 23:53 (086219)

has anyone had both feet done at the same time? And if so, how was it getting around? If you had a job on your feet, how much time would you take off before going back? Thanks for any info.

Re: Both feet ESWT

Mar on 6/04/02 at 05:39 (086225)

Carolyn -

I had ESWT on both feet 2 weeks ago. I think the amount of pain depends on the amount you had before the procedure. I would not have been able to spend 8 hours on my feet before (I read your other message too) -- in fact I couldn;t stand or walk for more than a few minutes at a time -- and it is still the same. The first day and a half after the procedure was very painful for me and I took 1 day off work. Hope this helps. Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/04/02 at 05:55 (086228)

HiCarolyn:

We have had many patients who have both feet treated at the same time. They usually rest at home the following day. Best of luck !!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carolyn F. on 6/04/02 at 09:31 (086242)

Mar, I think that my brain has developed a block for pain in some way. I have been suffering with PF for 5 years and the pain is quite awful at times. I cant spend a moment without orthotics. My feet burn the entire time I am working and some times I get the shooting pains unexpectedly. I have learned to go to another 'zone' as I am not ready for a career change. I am lucky that my husband gives me 10 minute foot massages every now and then. The difference is astounding the morning after one compared to not. Without a massage I would hobble with the standard PF pain. I highly reccomend that if you can find a massage therapist or a willing companion(boyfriend/husband) that you get foot massages and if they can be done with the ibuprofen cream/dolgit that would even be better. I have been using the cream for a few days now and I believe it is helping. I put it on before work and before bed. There is defenitely a difference when I stand up in the morning. I am sorry you do not feel any better after your ESWT, but it has not been long and from what it sounds like the more pain you were in the more treatments you will need to blow out the problem. Best of luck to you and defenitely try the cream/masssage. Carolyn

Mar on 6/04/02 at 13:06 (086269)

I had 2 months of acupuncture and foot massages (twice a week) and it only helped minimally. Unfortunately I am one of those people where all the recommended treatments just don;t seem to work. They feel good the first time and then that's it. I realize that I have to wait much longer for the ESWT to kick in, so I am hopeful about it yet :-) Of course, I have other problems in my right foot that I think complicate the whole issue. I also used several different pain creams with no results. I'm holding onto the ESWT and doing exactly what the doc tells me to! Good luck with your ESWT. And thanks for your thoughts. Mar

David G. on 6/04/02 at 14:06 (086275)

I had both feet done last week by Dr. C. I was able to go back to work the next day, but other than the treacherous commute, I have a desk job. It's a week later with no change, but I expected that.

RACHAEL T. on 6/04/02 at 22:19 (086325)

Yes, I had both feet ESWT'd at the same time.......I was sore for a day & half....then, progressed -- but not healed! Pain level did drop alot though.

Mar on 6/04/02 at 05:39 (086225)

Carolyn -

I had ESWT on both feet 2 weeks ago. I think the amount of pain depends on the amount you had before the procedure. I would not have been able to spend 8 hours on my feet before (I read your other message too) -- in fact I couldn;t stand or walk for more than a few minutes at a time -- and it is still the same. The first day and a half after the procedure was very painful for me and I took 1 day off work. Hope this helps. Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/04/02 at 05:55 (086228)

HiCarolyn:

We have had many patients who have both feet treated at the same time. They usually rest at home the following day. Best of luck !!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carolyn F. on 6/04/02 at 09:31 (086242)

Mar, I think that my brain has developed a block for pain in some way. I have been suffering with PF for 5 years and the pain is quite awful at times. I cant spend a moment without orthotics. My feet burn the entire time I am working and some times I get the shooting pains unexpectedly. I have learned to go to another 'zone' as I am not ready for a career change. I am lucky that my husband gives me 10 minute foot massages every now and then. The difference is astounding the morning after one compared to not. Without a massage I would hobble with the standard PF pain. I highly reccomend that if you can find a massage therapist or a willing companion(boyfriend/husband) that you get foot massages and if they can be done with the ibuprofen cream/dolgit that would even be better. I have been using the cream for a few days now and I believe it is helping. I put it on before work and before bed. There is defenitely a difference when I stand up in the morning. I am sorry you do not feel any better after your ESWT, but it has not been long and from what it sounds like the more pain you were in the more treatments you will need to blow out the problem. Best of luck to you and defenitely try the cream/masssage. Carolyn

Mar on 6/04/02 at 13:06 (086269)

I had 2 months of acupuncture and foot massages (twice a week) and it only helped minimally. Unfortunately I am one of those people where all the recommended treatments just don;t seem to work. They feel good the first time and then that's it. I realize that I have to wait much longer for the ESWT to kick in, so I am hopeful about it yet :-) Of course, I have other problems in my right foot that I think complicate the whole issue. I also used several different pain creams with no results. I'm holding onto the ESWT and doing exactly what the doc tells me to! Good luck with your ESWT. And thanks for your thoughts. Mar

David G. on 6/04/02 at 14:06 (086275)

I had both feet done last week by Dr. C. I was able to go back to work the next day, but other than the treacherous commute, I have a desk job. It's a week later with no change, but I expected that.

RACHAEL T. on 6/04/02 at 22:19 (086325)

Yes, I had both feet ESWT'd at the same time.......I was sore for a day & half....then, progressed -- but not healed! Pain level did drop alot though.