Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to wear on the beach?

Posted by Dean H on 6/04/02 at 01:07 (086223)

My girlfriend and I are going to Hawaii next week. We both have mild to moderate PF by the standards of this site. What does walking on sand do to the usual recommendations for footwear? I normally walk in Asics Gels (2020?) and she uses Dexters. Is there a good beach sandal, from Birkenstock or anyone else? My pain from walking rarely gets beyond 2 or 3, so I plan to take my chances, but I'd like to improve the odds.

Thanks,
Dean

Re: What to wear on the beach?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/02 at 19:20 (086301)

Birkenstocks, if they conform well to your feet are probably the safest bet.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 16:16 (086573)

This post suddenly became more interesting, because I suddenly planned a week's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, for the week after next!!!!! I'm looking forward to sun and beach, and the ocean, of course.

I'm going to take several pairs of Birkenstocks, but I am also thinking of visiting my Birkenstock store, to see if they have a waterproof version for walking near the water. Also, I guess I can always wear my New Balance, although they might get wet in the tidal zone.

Because I am essentially fully healed, or very nearly so, I think it will not be a problem for me to go barefoot when I'm swimming. At this point, I can occasionally go barefoot for short distances at home without problems. I haven't tried doing it for farther than 30 feet or so. Once I'm in the water, my full body weight will not be bearing down on my feet, so I'm thinking that will be OK.

Carole C

Yvonne K on 6/09/02 at 21:26 (086890)

What about Tevas?? Has anyone tried these??

Yvonne
(email removed)

Re: Tevas

Carole C in NOLA on 6/09/02 at 22:09 (086894)

What a great idea! I hadn't thought of Tevas. I did a search on the word 'Tevas' on this message board, and people seemed to think they are pretty good, although some models are not as good as others. The model called 'Circuit' is supposed to be one of the better models, and is sold at Just for Feet (according to the archives).

Thanks!

Carole C

Dean H on 6/09/02 at 23:54 (086898)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll post again when we get back.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/02 at 19:20 (086301)

Birkenstocks, if they conform well to your feet are probably the safest bet.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 16:16 (086573)

This post suddenly became more interesting, because I suddenly planned a week's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, for the week after next!!!!! I'm looking forward to sun and beach, and the ocean, of course.

I'm going to take several pairs of Birkenstocks, but I am also thinking of visiting my Birkenstock store, to see if they have a waterproof version for walking near the water. Also, I guess I can always wear my New Balance, although they might get wet in the tidal zone.

Because I am essentially fully healed, or very nearly so, I think it will not be a problem for me to go barefoot when I'm swimming. At this point, I can occasionally go barefoot for short distances at home without problems. I haven't tried doing it for farther than 30 feet or so. Once I'm in the water, my full body weight will not be bearing down on my feet, so I'm thinking that will be OK.

Carole C

Yvonne K on 6/09/02 at 21:26 (086890)

What about Tevas?? Has anyone tried these??

Yvonne
(email removed)

Re: Tevas

Carole C in NOLA on 6/09/02 at 22:09 (086894)

What a great idea! I hadn't thought of Tevas. I did a search on the word 'Tevas' on this message board, and people seemed to think they are pretty good, although some models are not as good as others. The model called 'Circuit' is supposed to be one of the better models, and is sold at Just for Feet (according to the archives).

Thanks!

Carole C

Dean H on 6/09/02 at 23:54 (086898)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll post again when we get back.