Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics and sandals

Posted by Lynn S on 6/04/02 at 08:34 (086238)

Has anyone found a not-too-ugly women's sandal to wear with orthotics? I guess I need a deep or closed heel. Found nothing in Merrell, Rockport, Birk'k, etc. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: orthotics and sandals

nancy s. on 6/04/02 at 11:08 (086254)

lynn, actually many of the tatami line of birks have removable footbeds. the nebraskas are a nice sandal, and they left plenty of room for my very thick orthotics once i removed the footbeds.

on the german site, i think the nebraskas are listed under tatami hand-sewn or tatami low footbed. can't remember which.

good luck.
nancy

Re: I just ordered a pair of those in a size 44

Mahatmelissama on 6/05/02 at 14:05 (086385)

Similar shape as my Finn Comforts I wear all the time...good price too.
I just placed an order!

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 12:23 (086539)

Propel all leather(allows for a custom orthodic to be dropped in, and it is not closed toes) and all the new types of rubber sports sandles from Birks. MY favorite(one looks so nice I wore to a wedding-is all a lime green with skinny cross s tape and a COLERED footbed that matches)the other pair I bought has a Hawaian print two cross band open toe-rubber with terrific support and really cute! found thru HSN and QVC of all places but they feel great.

Re: Keep in mind, I have THICK orthodics (making 1/2 a size in themselves) ;)

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 15:24 (086563)

so...any man who is tempted again to tell me 'he could wear my shoes too' (like last time I posted my shoe size)...beware...I will kick your butt.
;)

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:47 (086581)

'Soft' orthotics tend to be thick. Carbon-graphite orthotics range in thickness from 1.2 to 1.5 mm and can be the kindest for allowing shoe fit.
Ed

joyce simon on 7/05/02 at 15:47 (089186)

I just bought Teresia M. and they ARE NOT CHEAP! But they are nice..from Germany. Bought at Montano's in Saugerties ny

nancy s. on 6/04/02 at 11:08 (086254)

lynn, actually many of the tatami line of birks have removable footbeds. the nebraskas are a nice sandal, and they left plenty of room for my very thick orthotics once i removed the footbeds.

on the german site, i think the nebraskas are listed under tatami hand-sewn or tatami low footbed. can't remember which.

good luck.
nancy

Re: I just ordered a pair of those in a size 44

Mahatmelissama on 6/05/02 at 14:05 (086385)

Similar shape as my Finn Comforts I wear all the time...good price too.
I just placed an order!

lisa k on 6/06/02 at 12:23 (086539)

Propel all leather(allows for a custom orthodic to be dropped in, and it is not closed toes) and all the new types of rubber sports sandles from Birks. MY favorite(one looks so nice I wore to a wedding-is all a lime green with skinny cross s tape and a COLERED footbed that matches)the other pair I bought has a Hawaian print two cross band open toe-rubber with terrific support and really cute! found thru HSN and QVC of all places but they feel great.

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 15:24 (086563)

so...any man who is tempted again to tell me 'he could wear my shoes too' (like last time I posted my shoe size)...beware...I will kick your butt.
;)

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:47 (086581)

'Soft' orthotics tend to be thick. Carbon-graphite orthotics range in thickness from 1.2 to 1.5 mm and can be the kindest for allowing shoe fit.
Ed

joyce simon on 7/05/02 at 15:47 (089186)

I just bought Teresia M. and they ARE NOT CHEAP! But they are nice..from Germany. Bought at Montano's in Saugerties ny