Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm back from the wedding - and online again!

Posted by Kathy G on 6/04/02 at 11:09 (086255)

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my future daughter-in-law's mother's sudden death. I really appreciated it and I couldn't get over how much better I felt after I was able to share it with you folks!

My sister's daughter, in Annapolis, got married on Saturday and we left on Friday morning and got home on Sunday night. My computer died on Thursday afternoon and instead of getting it fixed, my dear husband decided to buy a new one. Now, I didn't think we needed a new computer but who am I to argue? Now I have a cd-rewriter and I can't wait to see how it works! Man, was I lost without my computer!

The wedding was lovely but was it hot - 93 degrees and I swear the humidity was up at 93 %! We New Englanders aren't up to that kind of weather in June! Luckily, the wedding, which was outside, started at 5 PM and while the actual ceremony, which was on the beach, was very hot, the rest of it was under a tent and a small breeze came up. Everything went very well and we all had a good time.

On the subject of people not understanding PF, my sister asked me if I would hand out programs as people went down the aisle. She just doesn't seem to grasp, or maybe it's accept, the fact that I can't stand up for a long period of time, especially without my orthotics! (I wore Josef Sibels.) They had no problem finding someone else to do it and I think she may have just been trying to make me feel like I was part of the wedding, but she just doesn't seem to get it! I did dance two slow dances and had couldn't resist dancing to one fast song and I must say, my feet were, and still are, pretty horrible but not nearly as bad as I would have imagined. Maybe I am making some progress!

Well, I'm off to explore my new computer! Suzanne, I hope you had a wonderful birthday! And thank you all for your support!

Re: I'm back from the wedding - and online again!

Suzanne D on 6/04/02 at 11:21 (086256)

Dear Kathy,

I'm glad you are back and that the wedding went well! How nice to have a new computer! Yes, we do feel lost without one, don't we?

It is very hot here, too, but I imagine it is more uncommon in New England than in KY! However, we do usually save this kind of hot, high humidity weather for July and August.

I have been thinking of you and your future daughter-in-law's family. I know this has been a rough time for them. She will need you more now, and I know you will help to fill the void in her life.

I think John H has said it before: No one who has not had PF (or other foot problems) really understands. As many here have written, if you say something about your feet hurting, most everyone says, 'Oh, I know! My feet really hurt at the end of the day', etc. They just don't get it. I'm glad you graciously declined from passing out the programs.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It's good to have you back.

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 6/04/02 at 11:28 (086258)

hi kathy, i'm glad the wedding went well.

where are you in new england, and what beach were you on? i'm in maine at old orchard beach.

nancy

Re: Nancy's Old Orchard Beach

Necee on 6/05/02 at 01:01 (086337)

That sure sounds like a nice quaint place Nancy! One of these days I hope to take a trip up that direction. Who knows, I just might come walking into your shop some day! Now what did you say the name of it was again?

I've been thinking of names for my little antique business....how does Brier Creek Antiques sound? Or.....Log Cabin Antiques....Necee's Knick Knacks.....oh...the possibilities are endless!!!
Happy trails...
Necee

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 07:14 (086343)

necee, i like the briar creek name! it's different. what are you cooking up for a business, anyway? something new other than your auction position?

the name of my shop is nantiques. the only problem with it is that a lot of new people are calling me 'nan,' which was my family nickname while i was growing up -- and i didn't like it!

old orchard was once (100 years ago and more) a sort of classy beach town with a great dance hall at the end of a long pier, etc. In the last half of the 1900s it degenerated into sort of a seedy place, with tattoo parlors, too many bars, etc. But they've cleaned up the downtown somewhat (ok, a little), the pier is still there, an amusement park, lots of fireworks and festivities, and it's actually kind of colorful -- though you wouldn't want to live right in the middle of it! the outskirts are homier, full of little old cottages and corners with a neighborhood feel. fortunately, we live in one of those areas, to the far south of town (well, it's a small town -- far south means 3/4 mile from the hubbub! but it's far enough). and the shop is right next to our house.

you would give me a big thrill if you walked into my shop one day! come on up!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 11:42 (086373)

I want to vote! LOL I like Necee's Knick Knacks best. Maybe 'Necee's Knick Knacks and Antiques'? The other two were pretty but weren't as catchy.

Carole C

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 12:48 (086381)

Necee,

I agree with Nancy -- Briar Creek Antiques has a unique 'ring' to it! It's the kind of name that could stick in a potential customer's mind...

WHERE will your shop be, by the way -- do you have a location yet? My daughter will be going to UT Arlington next fall, so maybe I could come by sometime and see it!

-- Sharon

Re: Thanks Gals!! and a ? for Sharon

Necee on 6/06/02 at 00:36 (086473)

I appreciate your votes!! And I'm open to any suggestions regarding a name for my antique business. I want something catchy and different.
Sharon, do you live in Texas? Forgive me for not remembering.

Thanks again gals...and keep those ideas coming.

Necee

Re: Nancy - I used to stay at Hills Beach!

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 08:12 (086484)

Hi Nancy,

What a small world! From the time I was born until about eight years ago, my family spent at least two weeks at Hills Beach, right across from you. We can sit on our beach and see the lights on the pier and on clear nights, the ferris wheel is quite distinct. No vacation was complete without a visit to Old Orchard and a ride on the amusements and french fries on the pier!

I can't remember how old you are and I don't know how long you've lived there but I remember how upsetting it was when there was a fire and so much of the pier and the lovely, hand-carved carousel burnt. You're right; the area has been through many transitions and it sure was tacky for a while, but it was always fun! And it is the one of the most beautiful, longest sandy beaches on the east coast!

If you haven't noticed, I have a real fondness for the area! I have to get my 'Hills Beach Fix' as my husband calls it at least twice a year. I just need to go there and smell the air and relive the wonderful times I've spent there. My late father became familiar with the area when he started working at a hotel in Cape Porpoise when he was 14 years old, so our family goes back a lot of years. What a truly lovely place to live!

I'll have to look you up the next time I'm in the area! I live in Milford, NH, a small town near Nashua. I could never live anyplace where I couldn't drive to the ocean in an hour or so. My husband and daughter like the sea, but my son and I seem to find it necessary to live!

Oh, in answer to your question, my neice's wedding was in Annapolis on Chesapeake Bay. I don't even know the formal name of the beach but my sister and her family live in Cape St. Claire, a kind of community within Annapolis, so maybe that's the name of the beach. I forgot to answer because I was waxing poetic about the area of Maine in which you live!

Re: ? for Sharon

Sharon W on 6/06/02 at 09:26 (086495)

Necee,

Yep, I live in Waco. My 2nd daughter is at UT Austin, but to see Gwendy we will soon have to drive the OTHER way on 1-35...

-- Sharon

john h on 6/06/02 at 09:35 (086500)

Nancy is 37!

Re: To John H - Nancy is 37!

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 14:28 (086554)

John,

Well, I could probably tell her a lot (note how I spelled that!) about the history in her area. One time, when I stopped at Hill's Beach to look for a rental, the real estate agent would tell me that so-and-so's house was for rent and we discovered that I knew the house by a previous owner's name. He wanted me to stay and tell him a bit more about the area but I was looking for a place to rent! Talk about feeling old!

nancy s. on 6/06/02 at 15:37 (086567)

heh heh. thanks, john -- i'll take that in place of being called a brain, i guess.

john is not telling the truth, kathy. actually, i'm 52. i felt like an old 50 (with all the foot problems), but now i'm beginning to feel like a young 52.

how interesting you used to come up to hills beach!!! yah, i can see it, sort of, from the beach when we walk out there from our house (150 yards). we're very near ocean park beach, do you know it? i know it's all one 7-mile beach, but that's the area we're closest to.
any

i'm writing this on the run. company for the weekend is arriving any second, so i've got to go. but after the weekend i'll try to relocate your post (probably can find it by searching for 'hills beach'!) and write more.

nancy

Necee on 6/07/02 at 00:10 (086627)

Oh thats right Sharon...I remember you now, I'm sorry. We had talked about you being not too far from my place at Corsicana. Gee.....we are practically neighbors!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Re: To John H and Nancy S

Kathy G on 6/07/02 at 15:52 (086697)

Okay, John, I fell for it! I was sitting here thinking, well, he must have done a search under Nancy S and I didn't even take the time to do that. Or maybe he corresponds with her on a regular basis... And all the time, you were just joshing me!!! I do love your posts - I always read them to see what you've got to say!!!

Nancy - have fun with your guests. Catch up with you later!

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:10 (087079)

Kathy I correspond with Nancy all the time. I thought she was 37 and now I find she is an 'older womann'! dam! From looking at that picture of her at the rock beach I find she is also very very very tall.

nancy s. on 6/11/02 at 15:27 (087155)

i don't know if i like being called 'an older woman,' john. although if you mean only older than 37, then that's just fine, buddy. i could be 38. actually, i was so miserable at 38 that i'll take today any old time.

i'm still recuperating from two nights of company. isn't that pathetic? they left almost four days ago! we're still stumbling around here like zombies, barely able to speak.

kathy, i want to reread the hills beach thread (is this it? where am I?) and continue my reply. as soon as the glaze wears off my eyes, i'll be doing that, and some other things related to the board (you're still on my list, monte).

i'm happy for john, and happy for laurie, as they both know! more than i can express.

nancy

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 00:25 (087230)

hi kathy, finally! i keep telling people i need to go to bed, but the red sox lost tonight and i'm not over it yet.

i also can't get over that you visit hills beach! now that's a fairly small community -- did your family rent a cottage or have a house there or what? i don't think a hotel would fit there. i'm also trying to picture a hotel in little cape porpoise. was it out by the wharf, where there are a couple of restaurants now?

yes, old orchard -- the center of town, by the pier -- is tacky, but like you say it's kind of a kick anyway. there's always plenty going on there, and most of it is entertaining in a way if it doesn't involve the police (although even they can be entertaining). i love the amusement park. i don't ride in it, i just like to look, and also eat cotton candy if my stomach is situated right.

the amusement park is really beautiful in the winter, in its stillness. it looks so full of potential. the pier was first built in 1898, as i understand, and has had several tragedies befall it. -- fires, storms throwing it into the sea, a ship hitting it, etc. I have some antique postcards that show it in its various incarnations. right now as you walk along it you are divebombed by hungry seagulls as you check out the palm readers and junk jewelry & t-shirts along the way; then at the end you're rewarded with a pub/restaurant that has tables outdoors on three sides. so there you are, sitting out in the ocean but all dry, eating, drinking, and fending off seagulls, with lots of wind blowing through your hair, and it's a big treat during a heat wave.

i'd love it if you'd look me up next time you come!

i checked out milford NH as a possible place to live in 1988. i ended up choosing maine, but i remember milford as charming.

nancy

Suzanne D on 6/04/02 at 11:21 (086256)

Dear Kathy,

I'm glad you are back and that the wedding went well! How nice to have a new computer! Yes, we do feel lost without one, don't we?

It is very hot here, too, but I imagine it is more uncommon in New England than in KY! However, we do usually save this kind of hot, high humidity weather for July and August.

I have been thinking of you and your future daughter-in-law's family. I know this has been a rough time for them. She will need you more now, and I know you will help to fill the void in her life.

I think John H has said it before: No one who has not had PF (or other foot problems) really understands. As many here have written, if you say something about your feet hurting, most everyone says, 'Oh, I know! My feet really hurt at the end of the day', etc. They just don't get it. I'm glad you graciously declined from passing out the programs.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It's good to have you back.

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 6/04/02 at 11:28 (086258)

hi kathy, i'm glad the wedding went well.

where are you in new england, and what beach were you on? i'm in maine at old orchard beach.

nancy

Necee on 6/05/02 at 01:01 (086337)

That sure sounds like a nice quaint place Nancy! One of these days I hope to take a trip up that direction. Who knows, I just might come walking into your shop some day! Now what did you say the name of it was again?

I've been thinking of names for my little antique business....how does Brier Creek Antiques sound? Or.....Log Cabin Antiques....Necee's Knick Knacks.....oh...the possibilities are endless!!!
Happy trails...
Necee

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 07:14 (086343)

necee, i like the briar creek name! it's different. what are you cooking up for a business, anyway? something new other than your auction position?

the name of my shop is nantiques. the only problem with it is that a lot of new people are calling me 'nan,' which was my family nickname while i was growing up -- and i didn't like it!

old orchard was once (100 years ago and more) a sort of classy beach town with a great dance hall at the end of a long pier, etc. In the last half of the 1900s it degenerated into sort of a seedy place, with tattoo parlors, too many bars, etc. But they've cleaned up the downtown somewhat (ok, a little), the pier is still there, an amusement park, lots of fireworks and festivities, and it's actually kind of colorful -- though you wouldn't want to live right in the middle of it! the outskirts are homier, full of little old cottages and corners with a neighborhood feel. fortunately, we live in one of those areas, to the far south of town (well, it's a small town -- far south means 3/4 mile from the hubbub! but it's far enough). and the shop is right next to our house.

you would give me a big thrill if you walked into my shop one day! come on up!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 11:42 (086373)

I want to vote! LOL I like Necee's Knick Knacks best. Maybe 'Necee's Knick Knacks and Antiques'? The other two were pretty but weren't as catchy.

Carole C

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 12:48 (086381)

Necee,

I agree with Nancy -- Briar Creek Antiques has a unique 'ring' to it! It's the kind of name that could stick in a potential customer's mind...

WHERE will your shop be, by the way -- do you have a location yet? My daughter will be going to UT Arlington next fall, so maybe I could come by sometime and see it!

-- Sharon

Re: Thanks Gals!! and a ? for Sharon

Necee on 6/06/02 at 00:36 (086473)

I appreciate your votes!! And I'm open to any suggestions regarding a name for my antique business. I want something catchy and different.
Sharon, do you live in Texas? Forgive me for not remembering.

Thanks again gals...and keep those ideas coming.

Necee

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 08:12 (086484)

Hi Nancy,

What a small world! From the time I was born until about eight years ago, my family spent at least two weeks at Hills Beach, right across from you. We can sit on our beach and see the lights on the pier and on clear nights, the ferris wheel is quite distinct. No vacation was complete without a visit to Old Orchard and a ride on the amusements and french fries on the pier!

I can't remember how old you are and I don't know how long you've lived there but I remember how upsetting it was when there was a fire and so much of the pier and the lovely, hand-carved carousel burnt. You're right; the area has been through many transitions and it sure was tacky for a while, but it was always fun! And it is the one of the most beautiful, longest sandy beaches on the east coast!

If you haven't noticed, I have a real fondness for the area! I have to get my 'Hills Beach Fix' as my husband calls it at least twice a year. I just need to go there and smell the air and relive the wonderful times I've spent there. My late father became familiar with the area when he started working at a hotel in Cape Porpoise when he was 14 years old, so our family goes back a lot of years. What a truly lovely place to live!

I'll have to look you up the next time I'm in the area! I live in Milford, NH, a small town near Nashua. I could never live anyplace where I couldn't drive to the ocean in an hour or so. My husband and daughter like the sea, but my son and I seem to find it necessary to live!

Oh, in answer to your question, my neice's wedding was in Annapolis on Chesapeake Bay. I don't even know the formal name of the beach but my sister and her family live in Cape St. Claire, a kind of community within Annapolis, so maybe that's the name of the beach. I forgot to answer because I was waxing poetic about the area of Maine in which you live!

Sharon W on 6/06/02 at 09:26 (086495)

Necee,

Yep, I live in Waco. My 2nd daughter is at UT Austin, but to see Gwendy we will soon have to drive the OTHER way on 1-35...

-- Sharon

john h on 6/06/02 at 09:35 (086500)

Nancy is 37!

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 14:28 (086554)

John,

Well, I could probably tell her a lot (note how I spelled that!) about the history in her area. One time, when I stopped at Hill's Beach to look for a rental, the real estate agent would tell me that so-and-so's house was for rent and we discovered that I knew the house by a previous owner's name. He wanted me to stay and tell him a bit more about the area but I was looking for a place to rent! Talk about feeling old!

nancy s. on 6/06/02 at 15:37 (086567)

heh heh. thanks, john -- i'll take that in place of being called a brain, i guess.

john is not telling the truth, kathy. actually, i'm 52. i felt like an old 50 (with all the foot problems), but now i'm beginning to feel like a young 52.

how interesting you used to come up to hills beach!!! yah, i can see it, sort of, from the beach when we walk out there from our house (150 yards). we're very near ocean park beach, do you know it? i know it's all one 7-mile beach, but that's the area we're closest to.
any

i'm writing this on the run. company for the weekend is arriving any second, so i've got to go. but after the weekend i'll try to relocate your post (probably can find it by searching for 'hills beach'!) and write more.

nancy

Necee on 6/07/02 at 00:10 (086627)

Oh thats right Sharon...I remember you now, I'm sorry. We had talked about you being not too far from my place at Corsicana. Gee.....we are practically neighbors!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Kathy G on 6/07/02 at 15:52 (086697)

Okay, John, I fell for it! I was sitting here thinking, well, he must have done a search under Nancy S and I didn't even take the time to do that. Or maybe he corresponds with her on a regular basis... And all the time, you were just joshing me!!! I do love your posts - I always read them to see what you've got to say!!!

Nancy - have fun with your guests. Catch up with you later!

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:10 (087079)

Kathy I correspond with Nancy all the time. I thought she was 37 and now I find she is an 'older womann'! dam! From looking at that picture of her at the rock beach I find she is also very very very tall.

nancy s. on 6/11/02 at 15:27 (087155)

i don't know if i like being called 'an older woman,' john. although if you mean only older than 37, then that's just fine, buddy. i could be 38. actually, i was so miserable at 38 that i'll take today any old time.

i'm still recuperating from two nights of company. isn't that pathetic? they left almost four days ago! we're still stumbling around here like zombies, barely able to speak.

kathy, i want to reread the hills beach thread (is this it? where am I?) and continue my reply. as soon as the glaze wears off my eyes, i'll be doing that, and some other things related to the board (you're still on my list, monte).

i'm happy for john, and happy for laurie, as they both know! more than i can express.

nancy

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 00:25 (087230)

hi kathy, finally! i keep telling people i need to go to bed, but the red sox lost tonight and i'm not over it yet.

i also can't get over that you visit hills beach! now that's a fairly small community -- did your family rent a cottage or have a house there or what? i don't think a hotel would fit there. i'm also trying to picture a hotel in little cape porpoise. was it out by the wharf, where there are a couple of restaurants now?

yes, old orchard -- the center of town, by the pier -- is tacky, but like you say it's kind of a kick anyway. there's always plenty going on there, and most of it is entertaining in a way if it doesn't involve the police (although even they can be entertaining). i love the amusement park. i don't ride in it, i just like to look, and also eat cotton candy if my stomach is situated right.

the amusement park is really beautiful in the winter, in its stillness. it looks so full of potential. the pier was first built in 1898, as i understand, and has had several tragedies befall it. -- fires, storms throwing it into the sea, a ship hitting it, etc. I have some antique postcards that show it in its various incarnations. right now as you walk along it you are divebombed by hungry seagulls as you check out the palm readers and junk jewelry & t-shirts along the way; then at the end you're rewarded with a pub/restaurant that has tables outdoors on three sides. so there you are, sitting out in the ocean but all dry, eating, drinking, and fending off seagulls, with lots of wind blowing through your hair, and it's a big treat during a heat wave.

i'd love it if you'd look me up next time you come!

i checked out milford NH as a possible place to live in 1988. i ended up choosing maine, but i remember milford as charming.

nancy