Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C.

Posted by Suzanne D on 6/04/02 at 18:02 (086289)

How are you doing, Carole? We seem to be on at the same time! I just read what you wrote to Sebastian and agree with what you two are saying about learning from PF!

I thought I would stay out of the double posting below (I hope!) and ask you in another thread how your feet are doing. I remember you had a little set-back the other day when you had a series of meetings.

How are your fish? Did you decide on names for them?

Suzanne :-)

Re: Carole C.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 18:23 (086292)

My feet are doing OK and are almost back to where they were. Today I carried a foot tall stack of technical reports from my office to my car (which is usually hard on my feet), and then went grocery shopping directly after work. My knees hurt from it, but my feet just feel a little tired. I'm sure that they'll be fine tomorrow.

I haven't named my fish yet. They are alive and happy and eating voraciously. However, the water in the tank is GREEN with algae. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, although I read online that with a new tank you just have to wait, and change the water sometimes to keep the fish from being stressed. So, that's what I'm doing.

Today at work I felt a little dizzy and tired. I am hoping that I just need rest, and that I'm not coming down with yet another bug.

Last Thursday it rained hard and my cable TV went out, and of course my cable modem internet access went out too. They finally got it repaired on Saturday, but after that it seemed like I barely blinked and the weekend was gone again. I wish I could retire, but that will take a few years. Meanwhile, I'm dreaming about where I'll live and what I'll do when I DO retire. Pleasant thoughts. :)

Meanwhile, I may take a week vacation in July helping my brother move to Florida. That will be fun and undoubtably refreshing.

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 18:27 (086293)

P.S. - - I guess the most honest answer to your post is that I'm feeling sorry for myself today! I wish I was on a tropical island, lying in the sun with a couple of handsome guys massaging my feet with Jade balm while another one massages my back and while I drink a pina colada (I don't drink, and I'd probably choke to death drinking while someone was massaging my back, but hey, this is a fantasy, right? LOL)

How are your feet? Last I read you were in a lot of pain. I have been hoping that your time off from school and being able to rest your feet might help?

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/05/02 at 08:13 (086350)

Hi, Carole! I hope you are feeling better today and that the dizziness wasn't the sign of some 'bug' you might be catching! If you are having the hot and humid weather we are having, it's enough to make you dizzy, isn't it?! :-) Especially when we are in and out of air-conditioning.

I think some vacation time in July sounds just right for you, Carole! You have worked so hard to beat PF, and you have encouraged so many with your unflagging optimism and success. But, every now and then, it's time for some relaxation and change. I know you said you would be helping your brother move, but I am sure there would be some fun times as well. Sounds good! I hope you can go. It seems to me that when we have something to look forward to, it helps our whole outlook.

My feet are some better since school is out and I can sit down more frequently. My theory (that's probably not worth much!) is that the great arch support in the Birks went a long way in healing my PF, but that something was/is still missing in correcting the way I walk. I think that's why the SAS shoes with the Birk inserts help. I still get the arch support but my walk is straighter in them, and I feel more supported. Sometimes I get tired (and hot) wearing them all the time, and I put on my Arizonas in the house. If I wear thick socks with them, they feel better.

I e-mailed Richard C. Ped some questions I had when reading his website (which you find by clicking on his name at the top of the Inserts/Shoes board), and he suggested if I was contemplating seeing a C. Ped in my area, to call and see if there was an initial, free consultation available. There are questions on his site which you can ask on such a visit, so I am thinking of trying that while I'm out of school.

Take care, and I hope you feel better today!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 09:17 (086355)

Suzanne, yes I am feeling better today, thanks. Maybe you were right about the hot and humid weather.

Actually the vacation I'm hoping to take in July will be more fun than it sounds like. My brother needs to find someplace to live, first, so we will be looking at real estate, exploring different communities, and so on. And of course, in the evenings we will enjoy the night life and/or plan our next day. The physical work of moving will be later, and during this week we'll be having fun. I haven't seen him in twenty years or so, and we'll have a great time catching up and enjoying South Florida. It really does help to have something to look forward to.

It's encouraging that your feet are feeling somewhat better already. You know how it is with PF; it takes a while for the effects of anything to show up. So I think your feet may continue to improve.

Thick socks really help! I have been looking at all those fancy socks that John and others bought, the Wright socks and Thorlos. Right now, my socks are just crew socks from Walmart, though, and I'm inclined to try not to spend too much since I'm almost over my PF. I've been wearing my NB most of the time out of the house (except for those meetings last week, when I wore my SAS because they look better for that). When I get home, I usually feel like switching to my Birkenstocks after an hour or two and then I wear them until the next morning.

Maybe CPeds differ in this, but my CPed requires a prescription and an appointment before she will make any orthotics at all.

In my case, I feel that the correction that I need is probably pretty small (but it causes my knees to hurt because of my overweight that I think magnifies the problem; my knees don't hurt when I wear my orthotics). Right now I'm wearing NB 879's which are a neutral shoe and pretty close to being right and have the cushioning I need. I may try an NB that's meant for those with mild overpronation and see if that does the trick. However, I'm waiting because my budget took such a hit from buying 11 pairs of shoes from September-February.

Carole C

john h on 6/05/02 at 11:06 (086365)

Brain: did you not tell me you were on the big island? did not know you were making like Roy Rogers. I think I told you I spent a week at the Mona Kea when I was on R & R from Vietnam and a week at some wonderful little resort which had grass huts down on the black sand beach. drove all around the island and of course up to the volcano park. what years were you there? were you some sort of hippie finding himself or a regular guy? where did you live while you were there?

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 16:35 (086399)

ah, i see brian has been promoted to Brain again. you're such a nice guy, john. can't you make a genius out of Nancy somehow?

john h on 6/05/02 at 18:33 (086428)

Nancy: here we go again as Ronald Regan used to say. Brian is certainly a brain and he probably prefers 'brain' to 'brian'. I never said I could spell and neither did Dr. Z. What will you do if i call you and your caller ID indicates 'private'? I did learn to spell 'a lot' this month as I can still see that little girl someone talked about at the spelling board writing 'a' at one end and 'lot' at the other. i have that one down cold. as for brain and brian they are just interchangeable. now, back to your antiques and forget you were once checking manuscripts for spelling errors.

Re: a lot

Valerie S on 6/05/02 at 18:45 (086432)

Hi John,

It wasn't a little girl actually, it was a high school quarterback going back and forth... hee hee... 11th grade grammar class with Miss Latham, our very own Mrs. McCracken.

Val.

nancy s. on 6/06/02 at 06:38 (086478)

i'm just envious, john! i like that misspelling! i want one too!

believe me, i'd like to forget i edited manuscripts. i can't even read a restaurant menu, or a t-shirt for that matter.

nancy

john h on 6/06/02 at 09:26 (086494)

Valerie: someone else with an incredable memory. How on earth do you remember Mrs. McCracken and Nancy remember Betty Greenwood? You guys must be taking some sort of memory herb. Anyway Valarie, I will always remember you at the one who taught me to spell 'a lot' and remembert it. Even after 4 years of college! If I can learn to spell one new word a month I am on my way-----

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 14:40 (086558)

That DOES sound like fun, Carole! And to get to be with your brother after this long time apart, that will be wonderful! That sounds like something to certainly look forward to!

It has rained here and is much cooler than the past few days. It is 68 rather than 96 degrees! I hope you are feeling better today and perhaps enjoying some cooler weather, too.

I've been spending time this week getting my younger daughter off to FCCLA camp (what we used to call the FHA club) as she is to be an officer next year at her school. Then I have also been working a lot on decorations for our day-long VBS program to be held Saturday. I like to draw, and so I have been making huge 'Veggie Tales' characters for the dining hall and front lawn of the camp where it will be held. Luckily, all this drawing and coloring can be done while seated, so I am happy!

I imagine the C. Peds here will also have to have a referral before seeing me. But I thought I'd see if either would speak with me - even on the phone - so that I could ask them some questions. Richard C. Ped on our site says he welcomes questions by prospective patients. (Of course we know there are not many around like our doctors and professionals who post here!). But I will give it a try and see then if it might be worth my while to try to get a referral to one from my family dr. The SAS shoes and Birk inserts are feeling pretty good right now. Perhaps what I really needed was to get off my feet more. But I am just trying to make use of any opportunity I might have!

Take care,

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 15:51 (086568)

I am so glad your SAS shoes with inserts are feeling better! Who knows why, but it sure makes life more bearable, I imagine. We are having slightly cooler weather, but not like yours! This week we have 30-40% rain predicted for every day, which is wonderful because we need rain and it cools things down.

Guess what? The most WONDERFUL thing happened! My brother sent an e-mail to me at work this morning, saying that he didn't want to wait and had bought airplane tickets to Florida for the week after next! My supervisor approved a vacation for me from June 17th-24th, so it's set! I can't wait. I will drive to Florida on the 17th, and he will fly. We are planning to spend some time on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, and he has planned for us to take a tour, as well as looking for a place for him to live.

Now this is MY idea of a splendid vacation! A little relaxation, lots of sunshine, a 'mission' (finding a house for him) so we don't get bored, and the fun seeing one of my favorite brothers for the first time in years! :)

I have two brothers, so they are both my favorite brother. LOL

Carole C

Re: Such good news, Carole!

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 19:24 (086596)

Oh, Carole, I am so HAPPY for you! How nice that you can go so soon. And how wonderful that your feet are so much improved that you can look forward to such a vacation! Just think back 6 months ago when you posted that it would be a dream to go shopping at Wal-Mart again. And now you are heading to Florida! It has just made my day to hear this good news! Thanks for telling us.

Have fun planning and packing!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 20:19 (086603)

Thank you, Suzanne! I am already having fun planning. Tomorrow I will go shopping to find a new bathing suit, and I'll try to think of what else I might need. I will take my camera and try to get some photos.

I'll have my laptop with me, although I don't know how much time I'll have to post on the message board. My brother and I will be sharing a room, to economize, so we'll be together all week.

I hope it is as beautiful there as I imagine! And I hope that my feet will let me walk in the sand, like Julie did.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 20:51 (086606)

I think you will, Carole! And when you do, (not to try to sound corny, here), it may be small steps for you, but giant leaps for all of us with PF! Walk in the sand for all of us! And, yes, take some pictures!

Valerie S on 6/07/02 at 12:18 (086671)

John,

I find you to be a most enjoyable fellow! I remember Mrs. McCracken because of the way you talked about her, and it reminded me so much of Ms. Latham. (note the MS. that's how proper she was... and single, obviously an old maid... ha ha ha) That reminds me though of my choir teacher (although I DON'T remember her name...) she did not want students to get her number from the phone book, or maybe she did not want them to know she was not married, so she had her DOG'S name put in the phonebook... HA HA HA... I think his name was Harvey or something... obviously her trick did not work on us... hee hee...

Anyway John, I want to tell you how much I really do enjoy your wise-cracks, even your military stories... but I'll never keep those straight... just ask my husband... even though I've heard his so many times already! You really keep me smiling, John... I'm glad I finally got your attention... I've been trying for a long time now. So what if it's for a spelling lesson... does this mean I'm in the 'in-crowd' now? hmmmm?

hee hee... Thanks for making my day!

Val.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:03 (087075)

Thank you for your kind words Valerie and adding to my vast knowledge of correct spelling. You,Wendy, Nancy S, and Suzanne aid me with my continuing education. Yes we military guys are full of war stories. They all seem to become more dangerous with each passing year. I am not sure who the 'in crowd' is as it changes from week to week. Today you are in and tomorrow you are out. Before PF I was truly an addicted runner-7days a week. Now I am addicted to this board. You got my attention!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 18:23 (086292)

My feet are doing OK and are almost back to where they were. Today I carried a foot tall stack of technical reports from my office to my car (which is usually hard on my feet), and then went grocery shopping directly after work. My knees hurt from it, but my feet just feel a little tired. I'm sure that they'll be fine tomorrow.

I haven't named my fish yet. They are alive and happy and eating voraciously. However, the water in the tank is GREEN with algae. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, although I read online that with a new tank you just have to wait, and change the water sometimes to keep the fish from being stressed. So, that's what I'm doing.

Today at work I felt a little dizzy and tired. I am hoping that I just need rest, and that I'm not coming down with yet another bug.

Last Thursday it rained hard and my cable TV went out, and of course my cable modem internet access went out too. They finally got it repaired on Saturday, but after that it seemed like I barely blinked and the weekend was gone again. I wish I could retire, but that will take a few years. Meanwhile, I'm dreaming about where I'll live and what I'll do when I DO retire. Pleasant thoughts. :)

Meanwhile, I may take a week vacation in July helping my brother move to Florida. That will be fun and undoubtably refreshing.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 6/04/02 at 18:27 (086293)

P.S. - - I guess the most honest answer to your post is that I'm feeling sorry for myself today! I wish I was on a tropical island, lying in the sun with a couple of handsome guys massaging my feet with Jade balm while another one massages my back and while I drink a pina colada (I don't drink, and I'd probably choke to death drinking while someone was massaging my back, but hey, this is a fantasy, right? LOL)

How are your feet? Last I read you were in a lot of pain. I have been hoping that your time off from school and being able to rest your feet might help?

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/05/02 at 08:13 (086350)

Hi, Carole! I hope you are feeling better today and that the dizziness wasn't the sign of some 'bug' you might be catching! If you are having the hot and humid weather we are having, it's enough to make you dizzy, isn't it?! :-) Especially when we are in and out of air-conditioning.

I think some vacation time in July sounds just right for you, Carole! You have worked so hard to beat PF, and you have encouraged so many with your unflagging optimism and success. But, every now and then, it's time for some relaxation and change. I know you said you would be helping your brother move, but I am sure there would be some fun times as well. Sounds good! I hope you can go. It seems to me that when we have something to look forward to, it helps our whole outlook.

My feet are some better since school is out and I can sit down more frequently. My theory (that's probably not worth much!) is that the great arch support in the Birks went a long way in healing my PF, but that something was/is still missing in correcting the way I walk. I think that's why the SAS shoes with the Birk inserts help. I still get the arch support but my walk is straighter in them, and I feel more supported. Sometimes I get tired (and hot) wearing them all the time, and I put on my Arizonas in the house. If I wear thick socks with them, they feel better.

I e-mailed Richard C. Ped some questions I had when reading his website (which you find by clicking on his name at the top of the Inserts/Shoes board), and he suggested if I was contemplating seeing a C. Ped in my area, to call and see if there was an initial, free consultation available. There are questions on his site which you can ask on such a visit, so I am thinking of trying that while I'm out of school.

Take care, and I hope you feel better today!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 09:17 (086355)

Suzanne, yes I am feeling better today, thanks. Maybe you were right about the hot and humid weather.

Actually the vacation I'm hoping to take in July will be more fun than it sounds like. My brother needs to find someplace to live, first, so we will be looking at real estate, exploring different communities, and so on. And of course, in the evenings we will enjoy the night life and/or plan our next day. The physical work of moving will be later, and during this week we'll be having fun. I haven't seen him in twenty years or so, and we'll have a great time catching up and enjoying South Florida. It really does help to have something to look forward to.

It's encouraging that your feet are feeling somewhat better already. You know how it is with PF; it takes a while for the effects of anything to show up. So I think your feet may continue to improve.

Thick socks really help! I have been looking at all those fancy socks that John and others bought, the Wright socks and Thorlos. Right now, my socks are just crew socks from Walmart, though, and I'm inclined to try not to spend too much since I'm almost over my PF. I've been wearing my NB most of the time out of the house (except for those meetings last week, when I wore my SAS because they look better for that). When I get home, I usually feel like switching to my Birkenstocks after an hour or two and then I wear them until the next morning.

Maybe CPeds differ in this, but my CPed requires a prescription and an appointment before she will make any orthotics at all.

In my case, I feel that the correction that I need is probably pretty small (but it causes my knees to hurt because of my overweight that I think magnifies the problem; my knees don't hurt when I wear my orthotics). Right now I'm wearing NB 879's which are a neutral shoe and pretty close to being right and have the cushioning I need. I may try an NB that's meant for those with mild overpronation and see if that does the trick. However, I'm waiting because my budget took such a hit from buying 11 pairs of shoes from September-February.

Carole C

john h on 6/05/02 at 11:06 (086365)

Brain: did you not tell me you were on the big island? did not know you were making like Roy Rogers. I think I told you I spent a week at the Mona Kea when I was on R & R from Vietnam and a week at some wonderful little resort which had grass huts down on the black sand beach. drove all around the island and of course up to the volcano park. what years were you there? were you some sort of hippie finding himself or a regular guy? where did you live while you were there?

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 16:35 (086399)

ah, i see brian has been promoted to Brain again. you're such a nice guy, john. can't you make a genius out of Nancy somehow?

john h on 6/05/02 at 18:33 (086428)

Nancy: here we go again as Ronald Regan used to say. Brian is certainly a brain and he probably prefers 'brain' to 'brian'. I never said I could spell and neither did Dr. Z. What will you do if i call you and your caller ID indicates 'private'? I did learn to spell 'a lot' this month as I can still see that little girl someone talked about at the spelling board writing 'a' at one end and 'lot' at the other. i have that one down cold. as for brain and brian they are just interchangeable. now, back to your antiques and forget you were once checking manuscripts for spelling errors.

Valerie S on 6/05/02 at 18:45 (086432)

Hi John,

It wasn't a little girl actually, it was a high school quarterback going back and forth... hee hee... 11th grade grammar class with Miss Latham, our very own Mrs. McCracken.

Val.

nancy s. on 6/06/02 at 06:38 (086478)

i'm just envious, john! i like that misspelling! i want one too!

believe me, i'd like to forget i edited manuscripts. i can't even read a restaurant menu, or a t-shirt for that matter.

nancy

john h on 6/06/02 at 09:26 (086494)

Valerie: someone else with an incredable memory. How on earth do you remember Mrs. McCracken and Nancy remember Betty Greenwood? You guys must be taking some sort of memory herb. Anyway Valarie, I will always remember you at the one who taught me to spell 'a lot' and remembert it. Even after 4 years of college! If I can learn to spell one new word a month I am on my way-----

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 14:40 (086558)

That DOES sound like fun, Carole! And to get to be with your brother after this long time apart, that will be wonderful! That sounds like something to certainly look forward to!

It has rained here and is much cooler than the past few days. It is 68 rather than 96 degrees! I hope you are feeling better today and perhaps enjoying some cooler weather, too.

I've been spending time this week getting my younger daughter off to FCCLA camp (what we used to call the FHA club) as she is to be an officer next year at her school. Then I have also been working a lot on decorations for our day-long VBS program to be held Saturday. I like to draw, and so I have been making huge 'Veggie Tales' characters for the dining hall and front lawn of the camp where it will be held. Luckily, all this drawing and coloring can be done while seated, so I am happy!

I imagine the C. Peds here will also have to have a referral before seeing me. But I thought I'd see if either would speak with me - even on the phone - so that I could ask them some questions. Richard C. Ped on our site says he welcomes questions by prospective patients. (Of course we know there are not many around like our doctors and professionals who post here!). But I will give it a try and see then if it might be worth my while to try to get a referral to one from my family dr. The SAS shoes and Birk inserts are feeling pretty good right now. Perhaps what I really needed was to get off my feet more. But I am just trying to make use of any opportunity I might have!

Take care,

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 15:51 (086568)

I am so glad your SAS shoes with inserts are feeling better! Who knows why, but it sure makes life more bearable, I imagine. We are having slightly cooler weather, but not like yours! This week we have 30-40% rain predicted for every day, which is wonderful because we need rain and it cools things down.

Guess what? The most WONDERFUL thing happened! My brother sent an e-mail to me at work this morning, saying that he didn't want to wait and had bought airplane tickets to Florida for the week after next! My supervisor approved a vacation for me from June 17th-24th, so it's set! I can't wait. I will drive to Florida on the 17th, and he will fly. We are planning to spend some time on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, and he has planned for us to take a tour, as well as looking for a place for him to live.

Now this is MY idea of a splendid vacation! A little relaxation, lots of sunshine, a 'mission' (finding a house for him) so we don't get bored, and the fun seeing one of my favorite brothers for the first time in years! :)

I have two brothers, so they are both my favorite brother. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 19:24 (086596)

Oh, Carole, I am so HAPPY for you! How nice that you can go so soon. And how wonderful that your feet are so much improved that you can look forward to such a vacation! Just think back 6 months ago when you posted that it would be a dream to go shopping at Wal-Mart again. And now you are heading to Florida! It has just made my day to hear this good news! Thanks for telling us.

Have fun planning and packing!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/02 at 20:19 (086603)

Thank you, Suzanne! I am already having fun planning. Tomorrow I will go shopping to find a new bathing suit, and I'll try to think of what else I might need. I will take my camera and try to get some photos.

I'll have my laptop with me, although I don't know how much time I'll have to post on the message board. My brother and I will be sharing a room, to economize, so we'll be together all week.

I hope it is as beautiful there as I imagine! And I hope that my feet will let me walk in the sand, like Julie did.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 20:51 (086606)

I think you will, Carole! And when you do, (not to try to sound corny, here), it may be small steps for you, but giant leaps for all of us with PF! Walk in the sand for all of us! And, yes, take some pictures!

Valerie S on 6/07/02 at 12:18 (086671)

John,

I find you to be a most enjoyable fellow! I remember Mrs. McCracken because of the way you talked about her, and it reminded me so much of Ms. Latham. (note the MS. that's how proper she was... and single, obviously an old maid... ha ha ha) That reminds me though of my choir teacher (although I DON'T remember her name...) she did not want students to get her number from the phone book, or maybe she did not want them to know she was not married, so she had her DOG'S name put in the phonebook... HA HA HA... I think his name was Harvey or something... obviously her trick did not work on us... hee hee...

Anyway John, I want to tell you how much I really do enjoy your wise-cracks, even your military stories... but I'll never keep those straight... just ask my husband... even though I've heard his so many times already! You really keep me smiling, John... I'm glad I finally got your attention... I've been trying for a long time now. So what if it's for a spelling lesson... does this mean I'm in the 'in-crowd' now? hmmmm?

hee hee... Thanks for making my day!

Val.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:03 (087075)

Thank you for your kind words Valerie and adding to my vast knowledge of correct spelling. You,Wendy, Nancy S, and Suzanne aid me with my continuing education. Yes we military guys are full of war stories. They all seem to become more dangerous with each passing year. I am not sure who the 'in crowd' is as it changes from week to week. Today you are in and tomorrow you are out. Before PF I was truly an addicted runner-7days a week. Now I am addicted to this board. You got my attention!