Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going to Pod tomorrow...first visit.....

Posted by Ashley S. on 6/05/02 at 08:52 (086353)

I sure hope everything goes well and he is a good PF doctor. I have been wearing my Betula Birks and I feel somewhat better. What tests should I ask the Pod to do?? It has taken three months to get this appt but insurance will pay!!!

Ashley

Re: Going to Pod tomorrow...first visit.....

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 09:36 (086356)

Ashley,

To begin with, if you can avoid it do not tell the pod that you have previously been diagnosed with PF until AFTER the exam! That way, you will get a more thorough examination and a pod with good diagnostic skills will probably pick up on any OTHER problems you may have in your feet and ankles.

Here are some of the things the pod may (and hopefully will) do:

Take standing x-rays in various positions
Do a gait observation (watch how you walk)
Use a big safety pin (while you look away) to test whether you can tell between sharp and dull sensations
Press at various points along your foot, and move it in different directions, asking you to let him/her know if anything hurts
Ask you to push against him/her when your foot is in specific positions
Tap along behind the bump on the inside of your ankle, asking if you feel anything
Ask you to stand on tip-toes
Etc.

Good luck!

-- Sharon

Re: PS: Ashley

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 09:53 (086357)

I forgot (perhaps) the most important thing! On your first visit, the new pod should ask you LOTS of questions! What you tell them about where and when and how it hurts, is very valuable information in getting an accurate diagnosis.

-- Sharon

Ashley S. on 6/05/02 at 13:43 (086383)

Thanks - this is VERY helpful! I'll let you know how it goes.

Ashley

Necee on 6/05/02 at 22:45 (086464)

Good luck Ashley on your Dr appoint.
You have been given some great advice, I sure wish my Pod did all those things on my first visit...come to think of it the only thing he did was take x rays. He never even touched my foot on the first visit.
What ever you do don't even discuss surgery, that is about all my Pod wanted to talk about. After my third visit I decided I didn't want him as my Dr anymore.
He should ask questions and spend some time examining your foot, if he doesn't then I'd go elsewhere.
Let us know how it goes.
Happy trails...
Necee

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 09:36 (086356)

Ashley,

To begin with, if you can avoid it do not tell the pod that you have previously been diagnosed with PF until AFTER the exam! That way, you will get a more thorough examination and a pod with good diagnostic skills will probably pick up on any OTHER problems you may have in your feet and ankles.

Here are some of the things the pod may (and hopefully will) do:

Take standing x-rays in various positions
Do a gait observation (watch how you walk)
Use a big safety pin (while you look away) to test whether you can tell between sharp and dull sensations
Press at various points along your foot, and move it in different directions, asking you to let him/her know if anything hurts
Ask you to push against him/her when your foot is in specific positions
Tap along behind the bump on the inside of your ankle, asking if you feel anything
Ask you to stand on tip-toes
Etc.

Good luck!

-- Sharon

Re: PS: Ashley

Sharon W on 6/05/02 at 09:53 (086357)

I forgot (perhaps) the most important thing! On your first visit, the new pod should ask you LOTS of questions! What you tell them about where and when and how it hurts, is very valuable information in getting an accurate diagnosis.

-- Sharon

Ashley S. on 6/05/02 at 13:43 (086383)

Thanks - this is VERY helpful! I'll let you know how it goes.

Ashley

Necee on 6/05/02 at 22:45 (086464)

Good luck Ashley on your Dr appoint.
You have been given some great advice, I sure wish my Pod did all those things on my first visit...come to think of it the only thing he did was take x rays. He never even touched my foot on the first visit.
What ever you do don't even discuss surgery, that is about all my Pod wanted to talk about. After my third visit I decided I didn't want him as my Dr anymore.
He should ask questions and spend some time examining your foot, if he doesn't then I'd go elsewhere.
Let us know how it goes.
Happy trails...
Necee