Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

telemarketers

Posted by Rachael T. on 6/05/02 at 12:20 (086374)

When I get a telemarketer call & they ask for myself or my husband - & I of course, don't wish to deal with it....I merely say that 'whoever' they've asked for doesn't live here anymore & then, proceed to tell them a crazeee, far out tale of divorce, &whyt he divorce happened; & before a minute passes - they cannot wait to hang up ON ME! hahha

Re: telemarketers

kay on 6/05/02 at 12:31 (086379)

i have a friend who told them the lady of the house was in the hospital and the man of the house was in jail, she was just there to clean up the blood. lol
kay

Nancy N on 6/05/02 at 15:42 (086389)

A friend of mine in college made it his mission to get them to hang up first. Once he tried to sell a credit card salesman the credit card deal he got from his credit union, which of course was a better offer! Another time he said 'No, I'm not really interested in that, but I have a camera I want to sell, can I tell you about it?' Last I heard, he was yelling at children he didn't have while on the phone with telemarketers (though now he actually does have a child, so I'm not sure what he does).

Myself, I just got Caller ID and don't answer any calls from anyone I don't know. I haven't spoken to a telemarketer in months, and it's a wonderful thing. (Though, having read Wendy's solution, I am tempted to start answering them and using her line!)

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 16:39 (086400)

these are great threads! i am feeling ARMED!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 17:54 (086414)

OK, then how about this direct approach?

When they call, and ask who I am or if they may speak to me, I say, 'Who's calling, please?' My mother always taught me that it was impolite to ask for someone without saying who you are.

When they answer, 'Jane Doe with Sprint Communications' or whatever, then before they can say anything I interrupt with, 'Not interested, thank you, goodbye!' and hang up. If they call back, which they seldom do, I threaten to charge them with harassment and immediately hang up again. That works.

That may seem rude, but think about it; their very methods are rude, and this method is fighting fire by fire. The reason I say please and thank you, is so that I can retain my own self-respect. It's because I'm who I am; an inherently polite person dealing with a rude, invasive telemarketer without letting him/her take advantage of me and steal my time.

Of course, just think of all the polls I didn't participate in! :)

Another method I used to use is screening calls through my answering machine. Just punch 'next' and on to the next call on the answering machine. This is a cheap and easy solution. I just haven't hooked it up since the last time I moved.

Carole C

wendyn on 6/05/02 at 17:55 (086416)

I love the ideas.

When I have asked to be removed from calling lists, I have asked for the person's name and operator number and made it very clear that if I ever received another call from their company that I would hold them personally responsible.

I had this problem with a company that sold credit card insurance. I had one department store card that I charged the odd purchase to and paid off each month. Every other month, this insurance company was calling me about insurance in case I became disabled and unable to pay the bill.

I'd asked several times to be removed from the list, and I lost it one night when I had to come in to answer a call while working in the garden (DON'T BUG ME WHEN I'M IN THE DIRT).

I asked to be removed from the list, I got the women's name and operator number and then explained that if I EVER received another call from them, I was going to cut up the card from that store and mail it to the president of the store company explaining why I was doing it (after having the card for 10 years). I would make sure I to mention her by name as the person who let them down.

I never received another call.

Necee on 6/05/02 at 22:06 (086458)

Radio Shack has a great little device called the Tele Zapper. It zaps your number from their calling list and somehow prevents them from ever getting your number again.....its great!!
Happy Trails...
Necee

CatherineL on 6/06/02 at 09:41 (086502)

I've heard about the tele-zapper... do you have one?... does it work?

It sounded like a great investment.

Last telemarketer was one from my credit-card co. a few weeks back trying to sell me something... I used similar to Wendy's tactic... When I told her I wasn't intertest, she asked 'could I ask why?'... well... 'because I don't appreaciate people calling to sell me something at home!!!' her reply... 'thank you for your time.'

I think this is the best approach... just think if we all said that, and not-one bought into their telemarketing... they'd be out of business and wouldn't be harassing us at home. I also think of the people who need the job and don't wish to be rude and nasty to them directly, so if we can get the message across to the companies... maybe they'll leave us alone!

Catherine

Re: A DISSENTING OPINION

Sharon W on 6/06/02 at 10:01 (086506)

Telemarketers are ususally just people who are either unqualified for most jobs and inexperienced in the job market, or UNABLE TO WORK ON THEIR FEET, or, for whatever reason, are SO down on their luck that telemarketing is the ONLY job they could find. NOONE really WANTS to be a telemarketer, and of course almost ALL of them hate their jobs! But they are desperate for work. Most of them have families to support, somehow. And in many cases, if they don't keep enough people on the line, for LONG enough, they know they will LOSE their miserable jobs.

Taking that into consideration, I never 'go off' on telemarketers. I say, politely, 'NO, we wouldn't be interested, but thank you anyway, bye,' and then immediately hang up.

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 10:57 (086517)

I've always tried to say 'No' politely for those reasons. Sometimes the telemarketers have been rather rude, but then I figure, that's THEIR problem! I try to hang up as quickly as I can.

I have, through the years, made ONE exception in buying from phone solicitors: the disabled vets who call to sell light bulbs, etc. Now perhaps I am being 'suckered'; maybe they aren't disabled, and maybe they aren't even vets! But I have bought from them, trusting that they are who they say they are. To the rest I 'just say no'! :-)

Suzanne :-)

CatherineL on 6/06/02 at 14:27 (086553)

Just got another telemarketing call from my credit card co/bank again today!!! I told her I wasn't interested and did not like being solicited at home! She said she could take me off the list and I said yes, please do. 'have a nice day', 'you too'.

Polite and got them to stop calling without putting a 'person' through the ringer.

Worth a try if you can get them to stop calling without taking a strip off them and getting overly annoyed.

Catherine

Re: I used to be a telemarker years ago..

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 16:49 (086582)

and I had pressure to call back 'my Nos' (which I never did).

I just kept calling till I got a yes. I did not think of the numbers as people, just calls to make.

I also used to stand on my feet in the mall and get people to do 'a quick test' (market research). People went off on me for doing that. I would just say 'I am just doing my job, trying to make a living' and that would shut them up.

I am tired of the hard sell being pushed these days though. It used to be if the person said 'No' you could ask 'why?' and then hang up. Now, they have pressure to overcome your objections. I have had 2 people call my cell phone which is not allowed by law and pressure me (luckily for them, I felt too sorry for them to push getting them in trouble).

I don't answer my landline anymore period. My roomie uses it more than me. She has a cell phone too though...and it has gotten to the point where telemarkers are LEAVING MSGS on our machine! They have figured out we aren't picking up much.

Re: Tele Zappers

Necee on 6/07/02 at 00:07 (086626)

Those gadgets are great! Radio Shack has them for about $50, I also heard that K Mart was selling them.
Necee

kay on 6/05/02 at 12:31 (086379)

i have a friend who told them the lady of the house was in the hospital and the man of the house was in jail, she was just there to clean up the blood. lol
kay

Nancy N on 6/05/02 at 15:42 (086389)

A friend of mine in college made it his mission to get them to hang up first. Once he tried to sell a credit card salesman the credit card deal he got from his credit union, which of course was a better offer! Another time he said 'No, I'm not really interested in that, but I have a camera I want to sell, can I tell you about it?' Last I heard, he was yelling at children he didn't have while on the phone with telemarketers (though now he actually does have a child, so I'm not sure what he does).

Myself, I just got Caller ID and don't answer any calls from anyone I don't know. I haven't spoken to a telemarketer in months, and it's a wonderful thing. (Though, having read Wendy's solution, I am tempted to start answering them and using her line!)

nancy s. on 6/05/02 at 16:39 (086400)

these are great threads! i am feeling ARMED!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/02 at 17:54 (086414)

OK, then how about this direct approach?

When they call, and ask who I am or if they may speak to me, I say, 'Who's calling, please?' My mother always taught me that it was impolite to ask for someone without saying who you are.

When they answer, 'Jane Doe with Sprint Communications' or whatever, then before they can say anything I interrupt with, 'Not interested, thank you, goodbye!' and hang up. If they call back, which they seldom do, I threaten to charge them with harassment and immediately hang up again. That works.

That may seem rude, but think about it; their very methods are rude, and this method is fighting fire by fire. The reason I say please and thank you, is so that I can retain my own self-respect. It's because I'm who I am; an inherently polite person dealing with a rude, invasive telemarketer without letting him/her take advantage of me and steal my time.

Of course, just think of all the polls I didn't participate in! :)

Another method I used to use is screening calls through my answering machine. Just punch 'next' and on to the next call on the answering machine. This is a cheap and easy solution. I just haven't hooked it up since the last time I moved.

Carole C

wendyn on 6/05/02 at 17:55 (086416)

I love the ideas.

When I have asked to be removed from calling lists, I have asked for the person's name and operator number and made it very clear that if I ever received another call from their company that I would hold them personally responsible.

I had this problem with a company that sold credit card insurance. I had one department store card that I charged the odd purchase to and paid off each month. Every other month, this insurance company was calling me about insurance in case I became disabled and unable to pay the bill.

I'd asked several times to be removed from the list, and I lost it one night when I had to come in to answer a call while working in the garden (DON'T BUG ME WHEN I'M IN THE DIRT).

I asked to be removed from the list, I got the women's name and operator number and then explained that if I EVER received another call from them, I was going to cut up the card from that store and mail it to the president of the store company explaining why I was doing it (after having the card for 10 years). I would make sure I to mention her by name as the person who let them down.

I never received another call.

Necee on 6/05/02 at 22:06 (086458)

Radio Shack has a great little device called the Tele Zapper. It zaps your number from their calling list and somehow prevents them from ever getting your number again.....its great!!
Happy Trails...
Necee

CatherineL on 6/06/02 at 09:41 (086502)

I've heard about the tele-zapper... do you have one?... does it work?

It sounded like a great investment.

Last telemarketer was one from my credit-card co. a few weeks back trying to sell me something... I used similar to Wendy's tactic... When I told her I wasn't intertest, she asked 'could I ask why?'... well... 'because I don't appreaciate people calling to sell me something at home!!!' her reply... 'thank you for your time.'

I think this is the best approach... just think if we all said that, and not-one bought into their telemarketing... they'd be out of business and wouldn't be harassing us at home. I also think of the people who need the job and don't wish to be rude and nasty to them directly, so if we can get the message across to the companies... maybe they'll leave us alone!

Catherine

Sharon W on 6/06/02 at 10:01 (086506)

Telemarketers are ususally just people who are either unqualified for most jobs and inexperienced in the job market, or UNABLE TO WORK ON THEIR FEET, or, for whatever reason, are SO down on their luck that telemarketing is the ONLY job they could find. NOONE really WANTS to be a telemarketer, and of course almost ALL of them hate their jobs! But they are desperate for work. Most of them have families to support, somehow. And in many cases, if they don't keep enough people on the line, for LONG enough, they know they will LOSE their miserable jobs.

Taking that into consideration, I never 'go off' on telemarketers. I say, politely, 'NO, we wouldn't be interested, but thank you anyway, bye,' and then immediately hang up.

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 10:57 (086517)

I've always tried to say 'No' politely for those reasons. Sometimes the telemarketers have been rather rude, but then I figure, that's THEIR problem! I try to hang up as quickly as I can.

I have, through the years, made ONE exception in buying from phone solicitors: the disabled vets who call to sell light bulbs, etc. Now perhaps I am being 'suckered'; maybe they aren't disabled, and maybe they aren't even vets! But I have bought from them, trusting that they are who they say they are. To the rest I 'just say no'! :-)

Suzanne :-)

CatherineL on 6/06/02 at 14:27 (086553)

Just got another telemarketing call from my credit card co/bank again today!!! I told her I wasn't interested and did not like being solicited at home! She said she could take me off the list and I said yes, please do. 'have a nice day', 'you too'.

Polite and got them to stop calling without putting a 'person' through the ringer.

Worth a try if you can get them to stop calling without taking a strip off them and getting overly annoyed.

Catherine

Re: I used to be a telemarker years ago..

Mahatmelissama on 6/06/02 at 16:49 (086582)

and I had pressure to call back 'my Nos' (which I never did).

I just kept calling till I got a yes. I did not think of the numbers as people, just calls to make.

I also used to stand on my feet in the mall and get people to do 'a quick test' (market research). People went off on me for doing that. I would just say 'I am just doing my job, trying to make a living' and that would shut them up.

I am tired of the hard sell being pushed these days though. It used to be if the person said 'No' you could ask 'why?' and then hang up. Now, they have pressure to overcome your objections. I have had 2 people call my cell phone which is not allowed by law and pressure me (luckily for them, I felt too sorry for them to push getting them in trouble).

I don't answer my landline anymore period. My roomie uses it more than me. She has a cell phone too though...and it has gotten to the point where telemarkers are LEAVING MSGS on our machine! They have figured out we aren't picking up much.

Re: Tele Zappers

Necee on 6/07/02 at 00:07 (086626)

Those gadgets are great! Radio Shack has them for about $50, I also heard that K Mart was selling them.
Necee