Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Neuroma/Metatarsal

Posted by Peggy P. on 6/05/02 at 19:12 (086437)

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with a Neuroma -- and a metarasal problem on my left foot. While it seems to be healing (almost 8 weeks), I cannot seem to put my foot completely down because of the third and fourth toes -- they radiate a funny sensation like a muscle spasm/funny bone senstion/stepped on a pebble sensation. I am wearing toe separators that completely fit over those two toes. And It is better when I'm walking in sneakers; I can put my foot down (ball of foot is better -- no pain there anymore) but cannot seem to put those two toes down; when I start to take off and actually walk - those two toes act up. It's so frustrating as I'm a major walker. I have had cortisone/mixture injections between the third and fourth toes. I'm wearing ortho heels that I purchased which seem to help too.

I would like to know what else I can do to walk normal again because this is so frustrating and I'm really tired of limping -- a bit. I live in NYC and need to walk! I've been doing hot and cold soaks too and taking Arnica pills/cream for healing.

Does this actually fully heal? I have heard of alcholol/slerosing? What kind of injections are they and are they better for Neuromas? Do I need physical therapy? I wonder how long this is going to last because 8 weeks is long enough. And I haven't been completely off it for eight weeks as I have to go to work. Please -- any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Peggy

Re: Morton's Neuroma/Metatarsal

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/05/02 at 19:36 (086440)

Hi Peggy:

Sclerosing injections help quite a bit. We have also done Stereotactic Radio Frequency Thermal Lesioning for neruomas. Both treatment options work roughly the same way. One method is chemical lesioning and the other is electrical lesioning. Sclerosing injections are spaced out every two weeks or usually a series of seven. Stereotactic lesioning is a minimally invassive surigcal technique using a 22 gauge needle. I have tow offices on is 10 miles outside of NYC in Belleville, NJ and the other is in White Plains, NY. We have a website DrFoot.tv/ I hope this info helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 08:41 (086486)

Hi Peggy,

Well, I'm not a doctor and I have an atypical Morton's Neuroma so surgery was out of the question in my case. What did help me were the cortisone injections that I had every 4-5 months. I could be nearly pain-free following them and they helped immensely. I also wore a 1/2 sole orthotic and nothing but running shoes. After a few years, however, I got to a point where I had to get custom-made orthotics since the cortisone shots were no longer an option and the pain was increasing. When I got the orthotics, I was already experiencing PF symtoms but I must say, the neuroma site very rarely hurts since I started wearing the orthotics. Maybe this is something you'd might pursue?

My younger sister had a classic Morton's Neuroma and opted to have the surgery. She is relatively pain-free when she wears her 1/2 sole orthotics and proper shoes. She absolutely refuses to do so most of the time and thus experiences pain in her feet, but not in the neuroma site. The surgery leaves your two toes numb. She says it kind of feels like she has a towel between her toes, like when you're drying your feet after bathing.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Re: Thanks Kathy Re: Morton's Neuroma/Metatarsal

Peggy P. on 6/06/02 at 10:02 (086507)

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what kind of orthotics your speaking of -- as there are many out there. But I have purchased the ortho heels, which are 1/2 sole as well -- through the internet and see a difference. I'm wearing mine with sketcher's sneakers. I didn't want to get custom made one's yet; not only are they expensive, I haven't heard patients having excellent results with them. I've read that their symptoms were worse so to avoid spending that money right now, I thought I would try the ortho heels. I am also considering sclerosing injections. Have you looked into this? I heard the effects may be better than that of cortisone. All of this is frustrating because I'm a power walker and had to resort to walking slowly. I guess it may be a sign to tell me to slow down (lol) -- who knows why this happened.

If your custom made orthotics work, perhaps you can refer me to where you had them made.

Thanks

Peggy

SuzanneK on 6/06/02 at 18:42 (086594)

I am not a doctor. I developed 2 neuromas in my pf foot. I had a series of 7 sclerosing injections in the foot - 2 shots each time (1 for each of the 2 neuromas.) I wouldn't say that they completely cured the neuromas, but the dscomfort - I won't call what is left pain - is tolerable. The injections were very painful, much more so than the cortisone shots for my pf. My pod said he could repeat the series of injections, but I declined. I will do that if they get worse. My insurance at the time was reluctant to cover the shots. My doctor simply told them that the surgery would be much more expensive. They approved the shots.

Peggy P. on 6/12/02 at 19:03 (087363)

Hi,

What is the difference between atypical -- and a classic neuroma? I never heard of that. I was just told I've got one. If there is a difference, I do wish most of these podiatrists/ortho surgeons would be specific. And I have another concern; why would you still have pain after 4-5 months? My injury has been eight weeks and I'm so restless and just want to walk normal again -- without any limping at all! and fast. I think I would go out of my mind if it takes me 4-5 months to heal this damn thing

Didn't your neuroma ever heal? I was told it does heal but it takes a very long time -- longer than a bone because of the nerve/tissue. I have just begun my first sclerosing injections. I am also seeing a chiropractor. He wasn't so thrilled when he heard of those injections. He did say that I would be killing the nerve -- and possibly acquiring another problem. Would you have any info on that? I'm wondering if I should now stick with the cortisone injections. What a catch 22 this is.

Thanks...hope you feel better soon too.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/05/02 at 19:36 (086440)

Hi Peggy:

Sclerosing injections help quite a bit. We have also done Stereotactic Radio Frequency Thermal Lesioning for neruomas. Both treatment options work roughly the same way. One method is chemical lesioning and the other is electrical lesioning. Sclerosing injections are spaced out every two weeks or usually a series of seven. Stereotactic lesioning is a minimally invassive surigcal technique using a 22 gauge needle. I have tow offices on is 10 miles outside of NYC in Belleville, NJ and the other is in White Plains, NY. We have a website DrFoot.tv/ I hope this info helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 08:41 (086486)

Hi Peggy,

Well, I'm not a doctor and I have an atypical Morton's Neuroma so surgery was out of the question in my case. What did help me were the cortisone injections that I had every 4-5 months. I could be nearly pain-free following them and they helped immensely. I also wore a 1/2 sole orthotic and nothing but running shoes. After a few years, however, I got to a point where I had to get custom-made orthotics since the cortisone shots were no longer an option and the pain was increasing. When I got the orthotics, I was already experiencing PF symtoms but I must say, the neuroma site very rarely hurts since I started wearing the orthotics. Maybe this is something you'd might pursue?

My younger sister had a classic Morton's Neuroma and opted to have the surgery. She is relatively pain-free when she wears her 1/2 sole orthotics and proper shoes. She absolutely refuses to do so most of the time and thus experiences pain in her feet, but not in the neuroma site. The surgery leaves your two toes numb. She says it kind of feels like she has a towel between her toes, like when you're drying your feet after bathing.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Peggy P. on 6/06/02 at 10:02 (086507)

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what kind of orthotics your speaking of -- as there are many out there. But I have purchased the ortho heels, which are 1/2 sole as well -- through the internet and see a difference. I'm wearing mine with sketcher's sneakers. I didn't want to get custom made one's yet; not only are they expensive, I haven't heard patients having excellent results with them. I've read that their symptoms were worse so to avoid spending that money right now, I thought I would try the ortho heels. I am also considering sclerosing injections. Have you looked into this? I heard the effects may be better than that of cortisone. All of this is frustrating because I'm a power walker and had to resort to walking slowly. I guess it may be a sign to tell me to slow down (lol) -- who knows why this happened.

If your custom made orthotics work, perhaps you can refer me to where you had them made.

Thanks

Peggy

SuzanneK on 6/06/02 at 18:42 (086594)

I am not a doctor. I developed 2 neuromas in my pf foot. I had a series of 7 sclerosing injections in the foot - 2 shots each time (1 for each of the 2 neuromas.) I wouldn't say that they completely cured the neuromas, but the dscomfort - I won't call what is left pain - is tolerable. The injections were very painful, much more so than the cortisone shots for my pf. My pod said he could repeat the series of injections, but I declined. I will do that if they get worse. My insurance at the time was reluctant to cover the shots. My doctor simply told them that the surgery would be much more expensive. They approved the shots.

Peggy P. on 6/12/02 at 19:03 (087363)

Hi,

What is the difference between atypical -- and a classic neuroma? I never heard of that. I was just told I've got one. If there is a difference, I do wish most of these podiatrists/ortho surgeons would be specific. And I have another concern; why would you still have pain after 4-5 months? My injury has been eight weeks and I'm so restless and just want to walk normal again -- without any limping at all! and fast. I think I would go out of my mind if it takes me 4-5 months to heal this damn thing

Didn't your neuroma ever heal? I was told it does heal but it takes a very long time -- longer than a bone because of the nerve/tissue. I have just begun my first sclerosing injections. I am also seeing a chiropractor. He wasn't so thrilled when he heard of those injections. He did say that I would be killing the nerve -- and possibly acquiring another problem. Would you have any info on that? I'm wondering if I should now stick with the cortisone injections. What a catch 22 this is.

Thanks...hope you feel better soon too.