Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain while standing still

Posted by Mike P on 6/05/02 at 20:00 (086446)

I have been diagnosed with Plantar Fascittis years ago but it has improved. I have little or no foot pain walking but when I have to wait in a line or just stand still to more then a few minutes my feet start hurting. My question is why does the pain only happen standing still.

Re: foot pain while standing still

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/05/02 at 22:20 (086461)

The intrinsic muscles of the foot that run parallel to the plantar fascia and help support it, fatigue when standing still allowing increased tension in the plantar fascia.

Try to wear supportive shoegear with a bit of an elevated heel if you know you will have to be standing for any lengths of time. Motion control running shoes are good for this purpose.
Ed

Mar on 6/06/02 at 06:58 (086479)

I was interested to hear this. Although my PF is painful when I walk, it is very painful when I stand (waiting in lines, Church, food shopping, etc) I try to avoid those activities as much as possible (in Church I sit when everyone else stands). This is with custom orthotics and supportive sneakers too. Hopefully my ESWT will kick in soon and relieve this (it's only been 2 weeks.) Good luck to you Mike. Mar

Carolyn F. on 6/06/02 at 09:33 (086498)

Just last nite at work, it was so slow - i am a waitress - and i couldnt bear to stand and wait for a table. it was excrusiating(sp?) I had to keep walking or swaying from foot to foot. The burning is defenitly intense when standing. Oh what to do. so Mar, no improvement yet? I have a consultation for the ESWT next tuesday. Good luck to you.

Mar on 6/06/02 at 11:37 (086524)

Carolyn -

That is exactly what I would do when the pain was so intense when standing -- sway back and forth from foot to foot. Now I just sit down or lean on something. It's tough with your job -- I don't know what to say except is it possible to get a different kind of job? Good luck with your consult and let me know how you make out. It's only 2 weeks since my ESWT and they say most people don;t feel any relief for about 6 weeks. Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/05/02 at 22:20 (086461)

The intrinsic muscles of the foot that run parallel to the plantar fascia and help support it, fatigue when standing still allowing increased tension in the plantar fascia.

Try to wear supportive shoegear with a bit of an elevated heel if you know you will have to be standing for any lengths of time. Motion control running shoes are good for this purpose.
Ed

Mar on 6/06/02 at 06:58 (086479)

I was interested to hear this. Although my PF is painful when I walk, it is very painful when I stand (waiting in lines, Church, food shopping, etc) I try to avoid those activities as much as possible (in Church I sit when everyone else stands). This is with custom orthotics and supportive sneakers too. Hopefully my ESWT will kick in soon and relieve this (it's only been 2 weeks.) Good luck to you Mike. Mar

Carolyn F. on 6/06/02 at 09:33 (086498)

Just last nite at work, it was so slow - i am a waitress - and i couldnt bear to stand and wait for a table. it was excrusiating(sp?) I had to keep walking or swaying from foot to foot. The burning is defenitly intense when standing. Oh what to do. so Mar, no improvement yet? I have a consultation for the ESWT next tuesday. Good luck to you.

Mar on 6/06/02 at 11:37 (086524)

Carolyn -

That is exactly what I would do when the pain was so intense when standing -- sway back and forth from foot to foot. Now I just sit down or lean on something. It's tough with your job -- I don't know what to say except is it possible to get a different kind of job? Good luck with your consult and let me know how you make out. It's only 2 weeks since my ESWT and they say most people don;t feel any relief for about 6 weeks. Mar