Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Homeopathic medicine for Plantar Fascia

Posted by Rose R on 6/06/02 at 11:10 (086518)

My sister is diabetic and over weight, as well. She asked me if I know of any homeopathic remedies for Plantar Fascia. Can you help me with this?

Thanks

Re: Homeopathic medicine for Plantar Fascia

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:22 (086576)

There are homeopathic remedies specific for inflammation as opposed to specifically for PF. Homeopathy is a treatment philosophy that is hard to understand based on scientific principles.

I would encourage your sister to obtain conventional treatment for PF as well.
Ed

Ellen J. on 6/06/02 at 18:36 (086593)

Maybe Arnica Gel? This is available in natural food stores. I prefer the gel rather than the arnica oil because the oil gets on things (like your favorite pair of shoes). Rarely, people are sensitive to it so you might want to have her try a bit first to see if there is any negative reaction. As the doctor mentioned this alone won't cure Plantar Fasciitis but might help with inflammation.
She needs to get on this website and read the Heel Pain Book--maybe you can print if off for her if she doesn't like using the computer. (I think that's OK to do for personal use only--doctors and Scott, let me know if I'm not correct about that).
Good luck!
Ellen

Ken S. on 6/08/02 at 08:32 (086758)

There is a cream/gel called Traumed which is one of the most powerful herbal-based analgesics available. It contains arnica and other known anti-inflammatory herbs. It is a bit expensive, but I have been using it in place of ibuprofen cream/gel because it is less damaging to internal organs. I find it quite helpful. You can get a small tube at most natural food stores and give it a try. But, like others have written, there is no naturopathic or homeopathic cure for PF. Wish there was as that kind of clears the field for the more invasive and damaging traditional Western varieties of pain reduction. Good luck and I wish you pain free days.

Rose R on 6/29/02 at 08:05 (088752)

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know how severe her problem is, because she lives in Illinois and I live in Florida but at least, she can start with Traumed and see what developes from there--I guess eveyone hates to have to resort to surgery. Thanks, again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/02 at 16:22 (086576)

There are homeopathic remedies specific for inflammation as opposed to specifically for PF. Homeopathy is a treatment philosophy that is hard to understand based on scientific principles.

I would encourage your sister to obtain conventional treatment for PF as well.
Ed

Ellen J. on 6/06/02 at 18:36 (086593)

Maybe Arnica Gel? This is available in natural food stores. I prefer the gel rather than the arnica oil because the oil gets on things (like your favorite pair of shoes). Rarely, people are sensitive to it so you might want to have her try a bit first to see if there is any negative reaction. As the doctor mentioned this alone won't cure Plantar Fasciitis but might help with inflammation.
She needs to get on this website and read the Heel Pain Book--maybe you can print if off for her if she doesn't like using the computer. (I think that's OK to do for personal use only--doctors and Scott, let me know if I'm not correct about that).
Good luck!
Ellen

Ken S. on 6/08/02 at 08:32 (086758)

There is a cream/gel called Traumed which is one of the most powerful herbal-based analgesics available. It contains arnica and other known anti-inflammatory herbs. It is a bit expensive, but I have been using it in place of ibuprofen cream/gel because it is less damaging to internal organs. I find it quite helpful. You can get a small tube at most natural food stores and give it a try. But, like others have written, there is no naturopathic or homeopathic cure for PF. Wish there was as that kind of clears the field for the more invasive and damaging traditional Western varieties of pain reduction. Good luck and I wish you pain free days.

Rose R on 6/29/02 at 08:05 (088752)

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know how severe her problem is, because she lives in Illinois and I live in Florida but at least, she can start with Traumed and see what developes from there--I guess eveyone hates to have to resort to surgery. Thanks, again.