Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My first Pod visit................

Posted by Ashley S. on 6/06/02 at 14:11 (086551)

I posted this on the Ask the Doc. board, but I'll post it hear also:::

Had my first Pod visit today and this is what happened.....he manipulated my feet and did some pressing to test for pain. Then he looked at my Birks and said that I could not wear them anymore; I had to buy SAS Free Time shoe with a biofit insole - that is the ONLY shoe I can wear until the PF is resolved, then after that he does not care what shoe I wear. He also gave me Vioxx (he did not say anything about side effects, but there seem to be lots from reading the insert). There is a list of things to do for PF that I must do: ice, shoes, rest, elevate feet, Vioxx. If I do these things FAITHFULLY I will be 50% better in 3 weeks.

I am somewhat disappointed, but I cannot really put a finger on why. I think the attitude was a little off. 'I see six of these cased per day, if you don't get better, you are not following the instructions!'

Re: My first Pod visit................

Laurie R on 6/06/02 at 14:24 (086552)

Hi Ashley, Wow your new doctor sounded a little harsh .. It really should not matter how many cases of PF he sees a day , he should know each and everyone is different... If it were me I think I would have told him that..

I wish you the best and I hope all goes well and that you are 50% better in 3 weeks. Remember most PF cases do go away . We here are the hard and very difficult cases . Plus most of us here have other foot problems besides PF ....

Hang in there and if you have any questions please feel free to ask ...

Laurie R

D.Thomas on 6/06/02 at 14:28 (086555)

Ashley,

Did he tell you what he thinks the cause of your PF is? Meaning did he ask you to walk or stand in front of him looking for problems? That is where most PF problems begin. Look for Dr. Ed's post about the three things that need to be treated for PF on this site.

bbv.cgi?n=86014

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 14:30 (086556)

Hello, Ashley! I am glad your visit is over; I know you were wondering what to expect! On my first visit to the Pod, he maipulated my feet and had them x-rayed, but he didn't watch me walk or talk to me much about any details. I was wearing Birks, too, as I had found this site right before I went and had bought a pair. I felt like they were helping - and felt better than anything else I had tried. He just commented that the heel might be a little low for me, but if they seemed to work, to go ahead and wear them. That's all he said about shoes. He also wrapped my feet which felt so good, and gave me a week of steroids. Then I was given a prescription for Naproxin after that.

I will say that about 6 months later, the Birks did not seem to feel as good to me, and my knees were really hurting. I bought some SAS Free Time shoes after reading how Carole was placed in SAS Time Out shoes with her orthotics. I am wearing them with Birk inserts, and at this time, that combination is the best I have found.

I hope you soon feel progress! What is the biofit insole you will be wearing in the SAS shoes? Is it something that will be made expecially for you? I know the shoes have a removable insole in them. I bought a medium width which allows me to keep the insole in the shoes as well as leaving room for the Birk inserts.

Good luck!
Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 14:36 (086557)

Wow, Ashley, don't get your hopes up but I can't imagine being 50% better in 3 weeks. Maybe it happens; I know that one of my son's friends got PF after playing too much basketball and it took him about 4 months of PT and laying off many of his activities before he felt better. And he was only 24!

But he was certainly right about stretching, resting, icing and Vioxx. The Vioxx helps some people more than others. You'll have to give it a chance and see if it works for you.

As to the SAS shoes, many people on these boards swear by them but remember, everybody is different and they may not work for you. My Pod suggested Asics running shoes for me, with the caution, that they might not work. They did, but I had to try several styles before finding the ones that were right for me.

Don't get discouraged and see how you do. If you're just starting treatment, you may see definite improvement from doing what he suggested.I don't mean to discourage you but just want to caution you not to set your hopes too high!

Good luck! Don't hesitate to post questions and concerns. We're all in the same boat here!

Valerie S on 6/07/02 at 08:18 (086640)

Ashley,

I can understand why you would feel slightly disappointed... it sounds like the doctor made you feel like a number. He poked and prodded, nodded his head, said 'YUP, Plantar Fasciitis... here is my recipe.'

I WILL say that at least he seems to be following a 'proven' and conservative approach to treating PF. And MOST people DO get better... I wouldn't put your hiking plans in ink just yet, but you DO have a good chance of getting better!

Everyone is different, and I, too, would be a little put-off if I were given a pat answer like that. I guess right now, I'd do what he says and see... it really MIGHT work! If not, I'm sure he has a plan B up his sleeve... and I really don't think 50% improvement is too much to hope for. Proper support, icing, stretching, anti-inflammatories... that could really happen!

I certainly don't blame you for being frustrated though! Too bad he couldn't have shown a little more empathy and personalized care. Sometimes doctors are forced into that kind of 'one size fits all' prescription too... I HATED my pod for quite some time... and if you read here, you'll see a lot of people feeling the same way... I'd say give him the 3 weeks and see how it goes.

Good luck to you, and remember we're always here!

Your friend, Val.

Sharon W on 6/07/02 at 09:51 (086657)

Ashley,

I am disturbed by your pod saying 'I see six cases of these per day; if you don't get better, you aren't following instructions.' Your pod's statement lets HIM completely 'off the hook' if your resovery isn't that fast, and it sets YOU up for an accusation of non-compliance. If you aren't MUCH better in 3 weeks your doctor can (and unfortunately, probably will) say, 'I TOLD you you had to follow ALL of my instructions, down to the last detail. Obviously, you haven't DONE that...' And there really is no way you can PROVE, or make him believe, that you really HAVE followed all his instructions!

I do hope that what your pod said is EXACTLY how it will all turn out for you, and that in just one month from now you will be writing us about how you feel 99% better already and you LOVE your pod and everybody should try his program of treatment. It's true that most people DO get better with 'conservative' treament programs like your pod has started you on -- although 3 weeks is VERY fast... for most people, even healthy young people, it is probably at least 3 MONTHS.

But healing DOES happen, and it sounds like the program of treatment your new pod has outlined is a reasonable, conservative one that will probably work for you. (Eventually. I REALLY wouldn't count on the 'three weeks' part, though...)

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 6/06/02 at 14:24 (086552)

Hi Ashley, Wow your new doctor sounded a little harsh .. It really should not matter how many cases of PF he sees a day , he should know each and everyone is different... If it were me I think I would have told him that..

I wish you the best and I hope all goes well and that you are 50% better in 3 weeks. Remember most PF cases do go away . We here are the hard and very difficult cases . Plus most of us here have other foot problems besides PF ....

Hang in there and if you have any questions please feel free to ask ...

Laurie R

D.Thomas on 6/06/02 at 14:28 (086555)

Ashley,

Did he tell you what he thinks the cause of your PF is? Meaning did he ask you to walk or stand in front of him looking for problems? That is where most PF problems begin. Look for Dr. Ed's post about the three things that need to be treated for PF on this site.

bbv.cgi?n=86014

Suzanne D on 6/06/02 at 14:30 (086556)

Hello, Ashley! I am glad your visit is over; I know you were wondering what to expect! On my first visit to the Pod, he maipulated my feet and had them x-rayed, but he didn't watch me walk or talk to me much about any details. I was wearing Birks, too, as I had found this site right before I went and had bought a pair. I felt like they were helping - and felt better than anything else I had tried. He just commented that the heel might be a little low for me, but if they seemed to work, to go ahead and wear them. That's all he said about shoes. He also wrapped my feet which felt so good, and gave me a week of steroids. Then I was given a prescription for Naproxin after that.

I will say that about 6 months later, the Birks did not seem to feel as good to me, and my knees were really hurting. I bought some SAS Free Time shoes after reading how Carole was placed in SAS Time Out shoes with her orthotics. I am wearing them with Birk inserts, and at this time, that combination is the best I have found.

I hope you soon feel progress! What is the biofit insole you will be wearing in the SAS shoes? Is it something that will be made expecially for you? I know the shoes have a removable insole in them. I bought a medium width which allows me to keep the insole in the shoes as well as leaving room for the Birk inserts.

Good luck!
Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 6/06/02 at 14:36 (086557)

Wow, Ashley, don't get your hopes up but I can't imagine being 50% better in 3 weeks. Maybe it happens; I know that one of my son's friends got PF after playing too much basketball and it took him about 4 months of PT and laying off many of his activities before he felt better. And he was only 24!

But he was certainly right about stretching, resting, icing and Vioxx. The Vioxx helps some people more than others. You'll have to give it a chance and see if it works for you.

As to the SAS shoes, many people on these boards swear by them but remember, everybody is different and they may not work for you. My Pod suggested Asics running shoes for me, with the caution, that they might not work. They did, but I had to try several styles before finding the ones that were right for me.

Don't get discouraged and see how you do. If you're just starting treatment, you may see definite improvement from doing what he suggested.I don't mean to discourage you but just want to caution you not to set your hopes too high!

Good luck! Don't hesitate to post questions and concerns. We're all in the same boat here!

Valerie S on 6/07/02 at 08:18 (086640)

Ashley,

I can understand why you would feel slightly disappointed... it sounds like the doctor made you feel like a number. He poked and prodded, nodded his head, said 'YUP, Plantar Fasciitis... here is my recipe.'

I WILL say that at least he seems to be following a 'proven' and conservative approach to treating PF. And MOST people DO get better... I wouldn't put your hiking plans in ink just yet, but you DO have a good chance of getting better!

Everyone is different, and I, too, would be a little put-off if I were given a pat answer like that. I guess right now, I'd do what he says and see... it really MIGHT work! If not, I'm sure he has a plan B up his sleeve... and I really don't think 50% improvement is too much to hope for. Proper support, icing, stretching, anti-inflammatories... that could really happen!

I certainly don't blame you for being frustrated though! Too bad he couldn't have shown a little more empathy and personalized care. Sometimes doctors are forced into that kind of 'one size fits all' prescription too... I HATED my pod for quite some time... and if you read here, you'll see a lot of people feeling the same way... I'd say give him the 3 weeks and see how it goes.

Good luck to you, and remember we're always here!

Your friend, Val.

Sharon W on 6/07/02 at 09:51 (086657)

Ashley,

I am disturbed by your pod saying 'I see six cases of these per day; if you don't get better, you aren't following instructions.' Your pod's statement lets HIM completely 'off the hook' if your resovery isn't that fast, and it sets YOU up for an accusation of non-compliance. If you aren't MUCH better in 3 weeks your doctor can (and unfortunately, probably will) say, 'I TOLD you you had to follow ALL of my instructions, down to the last detail. Obviously, you haven't DONE that...' And there really is no way you can PROVE, or make him believe, that you really HAVE followed all his instructions!

I do hope that what your pod said is EXACTLY how it will all turn out for you, and that in just one month from now you will be writing us about how you feel 99% better already and you LOVE your pod and everybody should try his program of treatment. It's true that most people DO get better with 'conservative' treament programs like your pod has started you on -- although 3 weeks is VERY fast... for most people, even healthy young people, it is probably at least 3 MONTHS.

But healing DOES happen, and it sounds like the program of treatment your new pod has outlined is a reasonable, conservative one that will probably work for you. (Eventually. I REALLY wouldn't count on the 'three weeks' part, though...)

-- Sharon