Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

spurs

Posted by barbara on 6/06/02 at 22:36 (086622)

Today my Dr. told me I have a spur in left heel.The back of the heal hurts.When I try to go up or down stairs it feels like the back of heel is broken and sliding back and forth rubbing togather and gives great pain.I also have a lot of swelling from the knee down.And get bad spasums in the calf of my leg.What causes this and what can be done to stop the pain .I can not take any kind of steroids.i'm alergec to them. help please.

Re: spurs

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/07/02 at 09:07 (086648)

Hi Barbara:

It sounds like you are describing a posterior heels spur. Have you tried open back shoes to alleviate the discomfort. Try elevated heel to decrease pull on the achilles. Also ESWT works quite well on posterior spurs. If you would like inforamtion on ESWT feel free to visit Drfoot.tv and request an info packet.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 6/08/02 at 16:11 (086788)

It sounds like you have Insertional Achilles Tendonitis with some calcification at the insertion of the tendon in the back of the heel.There is stretching, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication and ESWT if no relief is still obtained.There is conservative treatment that should be attempted before any further treatment is needed. Removing the heel spur is not always the answer.

barbara on 6/09/02 at 16:10 (086862)

I HAVE TRIED STRECHING MY FOOT AND WHEN I DO I GET VERY BAD MUSSEL CRAMPS IN FOOT AND LEG.I HAVE WORN OPEN BACK SHOES FOR YEARS OTHER SHOES ALWAYS BOTHERED MY FEET AND TOES.I DO ELEVATE MY FEET A LOT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP.JUST GIVES ME GREATER LEG AND KNEE PAIN. EVEN NOSAIDS DON'T HELP ME WITH PAIN OR SWELLING I GO FOR PAIN MANGEMENT BUT IT DOES NOT HELP EITHER.I HAVE PERKACET FOR PAIN THAT DOES NOTHING ALSO MY FEET BURN A LOT.

barbara on 6/09/02 at 16:15 (086863)

THE STRECHING I HAVE TRIED WITH NO RELIFE IT JUST MAKES MATERS WORSE I GET FEET AND LEG CRAMPS EVER TIME I TRY IT.SO FAR OUT OF 9 DIFFERENT ANTI-INFLAMMATORYS EITHER DON'T WORK OR I'M ALLERGEC TOO IT.I GO TO A FOOT DOCTOR FOR IT ON TUESDAY 6/11/02.MY D.O.DR. HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP NOR THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DR.IS THERE A SPECIAL SHOE OR SOME THING THAT MIGHT HELP?

Barb H on 6/13/02 at 14:11 (087484)

I have pain in one of my heels when walking,so much so that I can barley walk on it. Only way I can walk is if I wear a very soft cushionie soul shoe. It does not seem to hurt too much when pressure is applied by hand, just when walking, is does also hurt when standing or sitting, but not as much. Might this be a heel spur, it does seem to hurt directly in the middle of my heel. I do have fibormyalgia, might this also contibute to problem?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/07/02 at 09:07 (086648)

Hi Barbara:

It sounds like you are describing a posterior heels spur. Have you tried open back shoes to alleviate the discomfort. Try elevated heel to decrease pull on the achilles. Also ESWT works quite well on posterior spurs. If you would like inforamtion on ESWT feel free to visit Drfoot.tv and request an info packet.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 6/08/02 at 16:11 (086788)

It sounds like you have Insertional Achilles Tendonitis with some calcification at the insertion of the tendon in the back of the heel.There is stretching, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication and ESWT if no relief is still obtained.There is conservative treatment that should be attempted before any further treatment is needed. Removing the heel spur is not always the answer.

barbara on 6/09/02 at 16:10 (086862)

I HAVE TRIED STRECHING MY FOOT AND WHEN I DO I GET VERY BAD MUSSEL CRAMPS IN FOOT AND LEG.I HAVE WORN OPEN BACK SHOES FOR YEARS OTHER SHOES ALWAYS BOTHERED MY FEET AND TOES.I DO ELEVATE MY FEET A LOT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP.JUST GIVES ME GREATER LEG AND KNEE PAIN. EVEN NOSAIDS DON'T HELP ME WITH PAIN OR SWELLING I GO FOR PAIN MANGEMENT BUT IT DOES NOT HELP EITHER.I HAVE PERKACET FOR PAIN THAT DOES NOTHING ALSO MY FEET BURN A LOT.

barbara on 6/09/02 at 16:15 (086863)

THE STRECHING I HAVE TRIED WITH NO RELIFE IT JUST MAKES MATERS WORSE I GET FEET AND LEG CRAMPS EVER TIME I TRY IT.SO FAR OUT OF 9 DIFFERENT ANTI-INFLAMMATORYS EITHER DON'T WORK OR I'M ALLERGEC TOO IT.I GO TO A FOOT DOCTOR FOR IT ON TUESDAY 6/11/02.MY D.O.DR. HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP NOR THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DR.IS THERE A SPECIAL SHOE OR SOME THING THAT MIGHT HELP?

Barb H on 6/13/02 at 14:11 (087484)

I have pain in one of my heels when walking,so much so that I can barley walk on it. Only way I can walk is if I wear a very soft cushionie soul shoe. It does not seem to hurt too much when pressure is applied by hand, just when walking, is does also hurt when standing or sitting, but not as much. Might this be a heel spur, it does seem to hurt directly in the middle of my heel. I do have fibormyalgia, might this also contibute to problem?