Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question For WendyN or others with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by CarlW on 6/07/02 at 12:01 (086670)

Hi Wendy,

It looks like we may have a little more in common! For about the last 2 months I have been developing some weird pain in my elblow down to my ring and little fingers. My GP said he would send me for a nerve conduction study which he said can take up to a YEAR to get into. (Whats worth saving about our health care!!). In the meantime I have been frantically searching for info and it sounds like something called cubital tunnel syndrome. I also did a search on Heelspurs and guess whos name came up?
It was also amazing the number of people with Carpal Tunnel and other nerve type problems.

So what do you know about my newest 'issue'?

CarlW

Re: Question For WendyN or others with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

wendyn on 6/07/02 at 19:34 (086723)

CarlW - I had the nerve conduction test done on my hands too last time. I think I waited about 4 months to get in. They were all normal!!! HOWEVER, I do have trouble sometimes - especially with my baby fingers. I often wake up at night and my fore arms and hands are sound asleep. You should see me try to turn off an alarm clock when they're like this!

I seem to have trouble in particular with my baby fingers falling asleep and going numb at night. Drives me nuts.

I also do a lot of weight training, and I'm pretty sure that I someimes aggravate nerves in my shoulders and neck. I try to be careful.

I thought it was ulnar nerve entrapment? What is cubital tunnel syndrome?

CarlW on 6/07/02 at 23:14 (086743)

Hi Wendy,

Cubital tunnel syndrome is the technical name when your ulnar nerve is entrapped around your elbow. It can also be pinched by your neck and in your wrist (guyneons syndrom sp?). I would describe mine as a nerve pain that makes the reflexes in my fingers sort of weak and difficult doing fine motor skill stuff like typing or playing guitar. Its sort of a burning pain. I have read that they recommend bracing your arm straigt at night to alleviate the symptoms (great another splint to wear at night - my wife will be very impressed) or trying to keep it straight.

Has yours gotten better since you first noticed it and how long have you had it? Did you do anything for it?

Take care

Carl

wendyn on 6/08/02 at 07:34 (086757)

Carl - mine seems to come and go. When I had my nerve conduction test they noted that I did test positive for tinel's on one of my elbows and I believe that they did find latency on one or both of my ulnar nerves, but it wasn't significant. I'm up and on my way to a class so I don't have time to find the report right now, I will look for it later.

I feel like a broken record, but have you had all the tests that rule out nerve related problems like B12? And have you never had that nerve conduction test before?

I know we've probably talked about this but I honestly can't remember!

Mine seems to be worse if I work long hours, or if I overdo the weights. It also seems to be somewhat better since I upped my B12 dose from 500 mcg a day to 1,200 - so who knows?

john h on 6/08/02 at 08:49 (086759)

anytime you have numbness or pain in you fingers you should cerainly should have your cervical spine looked at. 20 years ago i thought i had a shoulder problem when my shoulder hurt and i had tingling in a finger. it turned out i had a ruptured disc at the c4-c5 level. i had a fusion at that level (4 hour surgery through the front of the neck) and received an instant cure.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:21 (087082)

Wendy: I know this is a dumb question to ask you of all people but are you sure you are not sleeping in some position that would cause your hand or fingers to go to sleep?

Many years ago I went to the doctor because the top of one of my foot was always very sore. X-rays showed nothing and he of course wanted to give me a cortisone shot. This went on for several months. One night I awakened my self as I kicked the metal bar that goes across the bottom of my bed. I was sleeping rather low in the bed and on my stomach so as to allow my feet to rest in a neutral positon and not allow the fascia to contract to much. While sleeping I would on occasion kick this bar wiht the top of my foot and consequently developed a very painful area on top. I moved up in the bed where my feet could no longer reach this bar and like a miracle my pain went away.

Of course numbness or tingling in the fingers should always be invistigated for compressed nerves in the cervical spine. Depending on which finger is going to sleep the Doctor can tell which level your problem may exist (if this is the problem) in your neck.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:43 (087136)

John, how would I know what position I'm sleeping in?

I'm asleep.

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:17 (087151)

Wendy: if you like I could tell you! i tend to go to sleep on my side or on my stomach. I know i never wake up on my back so I must either be on my side or stomach. like most people I have awakened with my arm,leg,etc asleep from being in some awkward position for some time. Your husband should have a clue of what position you are sleeping in.

wendyn on 6/07/02 at 19:34 (086723)

CarlW - I had the nerve conduction test done on my hands too last time. I think I waited about 4 months to get in. They were all normal!!! HOWEVER, I do have trouble sometimes - especially with my baby fingers. I often wake up at night and my fore arms and hands are sound asleep. You should see me try to turn off an alarm clock when they're like this!

I seem to have trouble in particular with my baby fingers falling asleep and going numb at night. Drives me nuts.

I also do a lot of weight training, and I'm pretty sure that I someimes aggravate nerves in my shoulders and neck. I try to be careful.

I thought it was ulnar nerve entrapment? What is cubital tunnel syndrome?

CarlW on 6/07/02 at 23:14 (086743)

Hi Wendy,

Cubital tunnel syndrome is the technical name when your ulnar nerve is entrapped around your elbow. It can also be pinched by your neck and in your wrist (guyneons syndrom sp?). I would describe mine as a nerve pain that makes the reflexes in my fingers sort of weak and difficult doing fine motor skill stuff like typing or playing guitar. Its sort of a burning pain. I have read that they recommend bracing your arm straigt at night to alleviate the symptoms (great another splint to wear at night - my wife will be very impressed) or trying to keep it straight.

Has yours gotten better since you first noticed it and how long have you had it? Did you do anything for it?

Take care

Carl

wendyn on 6/08/02 at 07:34 (086757)

Carl - mine seems to come and go. When I had my nerve conduction test they noted that I did test positive for tinel's on one of my elbows and I believe that they did find latency on one or both of my ulnar nerves, but it wasn't significant. I'm up and on my way to a class so I don't have time to find the report right now, I will look for it later.

I feel like a broken record, but have you had all the tests that rule out nerve related problems like B12? And have you never had that nerve conduction test before?

I know we've probably talked about this but I honestly can't remember!

Mine seems to be worse if I work long hours, or if I overdo the weights. It also seems to be somewhat better since I upped my B12 dose from 500 mcg a day to 1,200 - so who knows?

john h on 6/08/02 at 08:49 (086759)

anytime you have numbness or pain in you fingers you should cerainly should have your cervical spine looked at. 20 years ago i thought i had a shoulder problem when my shoulder hurt and i had tingling in a finger. it turned out i had a ruptured disc at the c4-c5 level. i had a fusion at that level (4 hour surgery through the front of the neck) and received an instant cure.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:21 (087082)

Wendy: I know this is a dumb question to ask you of all people but are you sure you are not sleeping in some position that would cause your hand or fingers to go to sleep?

Many years ago I went to the doctor because the top of one of my foot was always very sore. X-rays showed nothing and he of course wanted to give me a cortisone shot. This went on for several months. One night I awakened my self as I kicked the metal bar that goes across the bottom of my bed. I was sleeping rather low in the bed and on my stomach so as to allow my feet to rest in a neutral positon and not allow the fascia to contract to much. While sleeping I would on occasion kick this bar wiht the top of my foot and consequently developed a very painful area on top. I moved up in the bed where my feet could no longer reach this bar and like a miracle my pain went away.

Of course numbness or tingling in the fingers should always be invistigated for compressed nerves in the cervical spine. Depending on which finger is going to sleep the Doctor can tell which level your problem may exist (if this is the problem) in your neck.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:43 (087136)

John, how would I know what position I'm sleeping in?

I'm asleep.

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:17 (087151)

Wendy: if you like I could tell you! i tend to go to sleep on my side or on my stomach. I know i never wake up on my back so I must either be on my side or stomach. like most people I have awakened with my arm,leg,etc asleep from being in some awkward position for some time. Your husband should have a clue of what position you are sleeping in.