Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calf release?

Posted by Carmon S. on 6/08/02 at 00:33 (086747)

Hi, just wondering if any of you have had to have your calf muscle partially released when having your PF release done? I would appreciate hearing from you.

Re: Calf release?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/02 at 12:46 (086774)

You are probably describing a gastrocnemoius recession procedure. Tight gastrosoleus-achilles complex can be a prime exaccerbating factor in recalcitrant plantar fasciitis. Additionally, failure to address this entity can lead to failure of plantar fascial release surgery. I would estimate that I do procedures to lengthen the achilles along with about 50% of my plantar fascial releases.
Ed

Re: Calf release?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/02 at 12:46 (086774)

You are probably describing a gastrocnemoius recession procedure. Tight gastrosoleus-achilles complex can be a prime exaccerbating factor in recalcitrant plantar fasciitis. Additionally, failure to address this entity can lead to failure of plantar fascial release surgery. I would estimate that I do procedures to lengthen the achilles along with about 50% of my plantar fascial releases.
Ed