Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

should I worry about small knots on bottom of foot?

Posted by carol w on 6/08/02 at 02:16 (086750)

I have two small, hard knots on the medial boarder of my right, high arched foot. They are tender to the touch. I have had short bouts of pf for years, usually after going barefoot on hard surfaces or wearing thin, flat shoes while on my feet for a long period. I am of normal weight and do not spend an unusal amount of time on my feet. I ride my bike for exercise. Usually foot flexing and stretches ontriubte to quick healing. They have not effected the knots. My sweetie usually massages my feet every night. I thought the firm pressure would eliminate the knots but nothing has hapened. Hard, fitted orthotics, which I recently purcdhased are very uncomfortable and have been discarded. Soft orthotics hae neverhelped either. What are the knots? why did they appear? Should I be worried or ignore them? They don't cause much discomfort unless touched. I appreciate all explanations, advice and insights

Re: should I worry about small knots on bottom of foot?

Carole C in NOLA on 6/08/02 at 06:44 (086755)

Carol, I'd suggest that you post again about this question on the 'Ask the Doctors' board, since it might be more of a medical question than a social question. You might get more response.

I have no idea about your knots, and would suggest seeing your podiatrist. From what you are saying, I gather that you do not presently have PF, and so I think you need to begin with a diagnosis. Nobody here is going to say, 'oh don't worry about those little bumps' because we aren't doctors; for all we know they could be something awful.

Carole C

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:26 (087085)

As we age calcium deposites can form almost anyplace in the body. Are your sure the knots are not calcium deposites? Have you had them x-rayed? I can feel small calcium deposites along the fascia band from the great toe to the heel insertion.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 11:35 (087110)

Wow! Do you know for sure that they are calcium deposits and not fibromas?

Carole C

lisa k on 6/12/02 at 17:29 (087347)

Wow, this was the question of the week for me too!! My PT says my feet are unusual for pf because they are so flexible(more so than any of his other patients) and my calfs stretch to almost doing the 'splits'. But he wanted me to ask my Dr. about the hard crunching feeling knots running the length of my PF. I had new xrays just 2 weeks ago and they DO NOT show up as tumors or calcium deposits. I'll check the Dr. Msg board ,Let me know what you hear. The ONLY thing unusual about my PF /feet are that the right foot experienced a tear and detachment , in addition to being so flat since childhood. Take care Lisa K

Carole C in NOLA on 6/08/02 at 06:44 (086755)

Carol, I'd suggest that you post again about this question on the 'Ask the Doctors' board, since it might be more of a medical question than a social question. You might get more response.

I have no idea about your knots, and would suggest seeing your podiatrist. From what you are saying, I gather that you do not presently have PF, and so I think you need to begin with a diagnosis. Nobody here is going to say, 'oh don't worry about those little bumps' because we aren't doctors; for all we know they could be something awful.

Carole C

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:26 (087085)

As we age calcium deposites can form almost anyplace in the body. Are your sure the knots are not calcium deposites? Have you had them x-rayed? I can feel small calcium deposites along the fascia band from the great toe to the heel insertion.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 11:35 (087110)

Wow! Do you know for sure that they are calcium deposits and not fibromas?

Carole C

lisa k on 6/12/02 at 17:29 (087347)

Wow, this was the question of the week for me too!! My PT says my feet are unusual for pf because they are so flexible(more so than any of his other patients) and my calfs stretch to almost doing the 'splits'. But he wanted me to ask my Dr. about the hard crunching feeling knots running the length of my PF. I had new xrays just 2 weeks ago and they DO NOT show up as tumors or calcium deposits. I'll check the Dr. Msg board ,Let me know what you hear. The ONLY thing unusual about my PF /feet are that the right foot experienced a tear and detachment , in addition to being so flat since childhood. Take care Lisa K