Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

monte, kinesio tape idea

Posted by paula on 6/08/02 at 10:52 (086769)

you mentioned that it is hard to know how to tape yourself. i went to pt and she did it once and i marked the outline of the tape with pen. i wrote on my legs and feet. i kept the marks up every day. today my partner taped me using the marks and also she gave him a lesson just how to do it. he came pretty close. i think a few more lessons we'll get it perfect but this is working ok today.. it is interesting that you are so far the only person here who is interested in kineseo taping. i have tried everything and it is one of the few things that seem to be helping me. it has only been half a week tho so we shall see. oh, also, she cut and split the tape in the right places and sent me home with it split correctly

Re: monte, kinesio tape idea

john h on 6/08/02 at 19:36 (086800)

Paula: I had my feet taped professionally one time by a PT. I could not possible do that to myself. I do not tape often but I reverted to the very easy two strip method which actually worked for me as well as the PT's method. Since it is so easy I was more prone to do it when needed.

paula on 6/08/02 at 21:11 (086804)

john, kinesio is different than athletic taping. although it offers some support, it is much less than athletic tape. it's purpose is to retrain the nerves and muscles as opposed to strong support. there is only one strip of tape on each of my foot and leg. the idea , i think , is to gently remind the foot and ankle and leg what they are supposed to do. one feels a very slight tightness where the tape is. kinesio tape is very flexible in all directions. then i guess the brain sort of does the rest, when it feels the slight pull it makes the corrections for you, automatically. at least that's how it feels to me. when the tape is on i feel like i can relax my feet and ankles and legs like i could not these last two years. it's only been four days so too soon to get all hysterical that i may be on to something big for me . so far so good.

Monte on 6/09/02 at 18:01 (086870)

i am going to try it from a diagram that i got. I will see if it feels right for me. I use a two strip method, but will try another. Maybe I can use it for a golf outing.

paula on 6/09/02 at 21:13 (086886)

monte, i wonder if kinesio is meant to be used for 'outings' . as i understand it is to train the muscles and nerves slowly over time. did i read it wrong or understand it wrong? this might be my error. what is your understanding of the purpose of kineio tape/ and where did you get diagrams from? i would like diagrams.

monte on 6/11/02 at 22:08 (087214)

paula, i got the diagram from a place where i ordered some tape from. i think i gave you the website before. if you need it again i will find it. the salesman sent the diagrams to me after i ordered the tape. i am not sure if it is good for outings...i plan on trying it prior to my golf outing.

john h on 6/08/02 at 19:36 (086800)

Paula: I had my feet taped professionally one time by a PT. I could not possible do that to myself. I do not tape often but I reverted to the very easy two strip method which actually worked for me as well as the PT's method. Since it is so easy I was more prone to do it when needed.

paula on 6/08/02 at 21:11 (086804)

john, kinesio is different than athletic taping. although it offers some support, it is much less than athletic tape. it's purpose is to retrain the nerves and muscles as opposed to strong support. there is only one strip of tape on each of my foot and leg. the idea , i think , is to gently remind the foot and ankle and leg what they are supposed to do. one feels a very slight tightness where the tape is. kinesio tape is very flexible in all directions. then i guess the brain sort of does the rest, when it feels the slight pull it makes the corrections for you, automatically. at least that's how it feels to me. when the tape is on i feel like i can relax my feet and ankles and legs like i could not these last two years. it's only been four days so too soon to get all hysterical that i may be on to something big for me . so far so good.

Monte on 6/09/02 at 18:01 (086870)

i am going to try it from a diagram that i got. I will see if it feels right for me. I use a two strip method, but will try another. Maybe I can use it for a golf outing.

paula on 6/09/02 at 21:13 (086886)

monte, i wonder if kinesio is meant to be used for 'outings' . as i understand it is to train the muscles and nerves slowly over time. did i read it wrong or understand it wrong? this might be my error. what is your understanding of the purpose of kineio tape/ and where did you get diagrams from? i would like diagrams.

monte on 6/11/02 at 22:08 (087214)

paula, i got the diagram from a place where i ordered some tape from. i think i gave you the website before. if you need it again i will find it. the salesman sent the diagrams to me after i ordered the tape. i am not sure if it is good for outings...i plan on trying it prior to my golf outing.