Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankylosing Spondylitis and PF

Posted by Kellie M on 6/08/02 at 16:26 (086790)

I have been in the diagnosing stage of some sort of arthritis. It is more than likely Ankylosing Spondylitis based on tests and symptoms. The feet pain is absolutely awful and what is actually preventing me from keeping up a normal lifestyle. I have complained to every doctor I have seen about the foot pain because it is not mentioned much as a side effect of AS. Have you heard of people with AS having this and if so, is it chronic along with the disease? Not one doctor has said...Oh yes you have Plantar Faciitis. I had to investigate it myself. I have almost no pain in my feet when I am off of them, it is only when I am standing. It causes aching up in to my calfs as well. Any help you have would be appreciated as I seem to be self diagnosing myself.

Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis and PF

Pete R on 6/09/02 at 13:32 (086844)

Kellie,

Welcome to the self diagnosis club for PF ! I think everyone on this site has had some problems with their pod / ortho about getting any form of diagnosis. I'm in England and it is a nightmare finding anyone who has decent knowledge on PF.

I too have a back problem ( resulting from a fall down stairs, I think) and I've found it difficult for someone to categorically say there's no connection e.g nerve damage. I think it is a well known fact that some of the nerves in your lower back run down your legs and end in your heel.

My heels don't hurt in the morning or when sitting, just when standing and walking. My back hurts when I sit but not when I walk......so lying down in the favoured option !

Could it be your inflamed joints in your back are irritating the nerves connected to your heels ?

See a neurologist maybe ?

Wish you luck, from a fellow pain sufferer.

David G. on 6/10/02 at 15:06 (086964)

I too often wondered if I had it. I went to the the rheumatologist and got tested for the HLB27 gene. It came up negative but there are a small % of cases that do, which doesn't necessarily mean you don't have it. Also, they'll do an Xray of your pelvis, which is more conclusive. If the rheumatalogist sees something, he will prescribe Azulfidine. But PF is definitley a symptom. good luck.

Pete R on 6/09/02 at 13:32 (086844)

Kellie,

Welcome to the self diagnosis club for PF ! I think everyone on this site has had some problems with their pod / ortho about getting any form of diagnosis. I'm in England and it is a nightmare finding anyone who has decent knowledge on PF.

I too have a back problem ( resulting from a fall down stairs, I think) and I've found it difficult for someone to categorically say there's no connection e.g nerve damage. I think it is a well known fact that some of the nerves in your lower back run down your legs and end in your heel.

My heels don't hurt in the morning or when sitting, just when standing and walking. My back hurts when I sit but not when I walk......so lying down in the favoured option !

Could it be your inflamed joints in your back are irritating the nerves connected to your heels ?

See a neurologist maybe ?

Wish you luck, from a fellow pain sufferer.

David G. on 6/10/02 at 15:06 (086964)

I too often wondered if I had it. I went to the the rheumatologist and got tested for the HLB27 gene. It came up negative but there are a small % of cases that do, which doesn't necessarily mean you don't have it. Also, they'll do an Xray of your pelvis, which is more conclusive. If the rheumatalogist sees something, he will prescribe Azulfidine. But PF is definitley a symptom. good luck.