Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

VALERIE

Posted by Rachael T. on 6/08/02 at 22:37 (086811)

If you didn't see my msg. on our last subject...Ah PF, will it ever end? I just wanted you to know that I am almost envious of your Mackinack Island trip. What a location to visit. It has always been one of my 'want to visit' places.....After the SOMEWHERE IN TIME movie, with Christopher Reeves & Jane Seymour - I have often thought that was a most relaxing, romantic, beautiful location - so pristeen! Please bask in the sun or in a quiet gazebo - & love each minute of it - I know your feet will enjoy it!

Re: I survived Mackinac Island and MORE!!

Valerie S on 6/10/02 at 19:18 (087017)

Hi Rachael, and thanks for your encouraging words.

I managed to walk a lot less than I thought I would on the island, thanks to the horse-drawn carriage tour... hee hee. We saw (the outside of) the Grand Hotel, where they filmed Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve, and they filmed another movie there too, but I can't remember the name now.. I'll think of it, or ask my husband...

The lilac festival started on Saturday, but it has been TOO COLD for them to bloom, so it will be another week or two before the island is blanketed with the perfume of 130 different kinds of lilacs... mmmmmm, doesn't that just sound divine?? We did see 100,000 tulips at the Grand, and that was so beautiful too!

My feet survived, to make a long story short... they were hot and throbbing when I would stop walking, but I even managed to drive home (3 hours) without stopping...

NOW here's the AMAZING SUCCESS STORY!!! ... The upper peninsula, or at least the part just north of Mackinaw Bridge, is rock, limestone I think... there is this huge rock, called Castle Rock... 200 feet high, and it juts out of the side of the hill, they put some (177) stairs in so you can go stand at the top and see Mackinac Island and Mackinaw Bridge and all the beautiful trees and hills and water around you... at the bottom is a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe, the great blue ox... hee hee... Well, of course, my husband wanted so bad to climb that darned Castle Rock. I was not looking forward to trying that, but I forked over the 50 cent admission, and figured I could sit at the bottom and wait for him if needed. You know what?? The worst part was trying to BREATHE while climbing so many darned steep steps! I made it all the way to the top, and did not have any pain until on the way down, when my ankles got a little sore.... I was totally amazed with myself. (but not my aerobic health, which is totally dismal, I am afraid...) ... but I CLIMBED CASTLE ROCK!!!

This, from a woman who could barely walk to the mailbox just over a year ago! ... No, I'm not done with PF yet, but boy it sure was a great feeling of accomplishment to climb that big ol' rock!

** by the way, for anyone who might be paying attention, there are 2 different spellings, yes... Mackinac Island (the French spelling, because the Canadians named it, actually shortened it from Michilimackinac), and Mackinaw City, named by the British. Both pronounced 'MACKINAW' though... just one little history lesson I learned this weekend. Fort Michilimackinac (meaning Island of the Great Turtle from the Native Americans we stole it from) was an important place in the Revolutionary War. And apparently there is also a reservation somewhere on the island, too. **

All this, and I even played 18 holes of Mini-Golf (lost of course).

I just wish you all could have been there... it was great!
-Val.

Missy B on 6/10/02 at 20:37 (087021)

Valerie,
So great to hear you had a wonderful vacation and you were able to do so much. That's terrific. I just added Mackinac Island to my 'Places to
Visit' list - sounds as though you can still have fun, even if you can't walk all day long. Thanks for the history lesson too.
Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 21:41 (087033)

WOW!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. You must have been on cloud nine. :) Sounds like you had the very best of all possible vacations. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 22:17 (087041)

Dear Valerie,

Your horse-drawn carriage tour sounds wonderful! And your feat up Castle Rock was quite an accomplishment! I'm glad you had such a grand time. Take it easy on your feet for a few days now that you're back.

Thanks for telling us all about your adventure!
Suzanne :-)

Re: Thanks, so far, so good...

Valerie S on 6/11/02 at 11:39 (087111)

Or as my husband says, so good, so far!

I am hoping my feet continue to hold out, since I have 2 Tupperware parties to do this week! hee hee...

But so far, just the usual pain. THIS I can deal with.

Val.

Re: Tupperware...

Suzanne D on 6/11/02 at 16:37 (087160)

I've been meaning to tell you, Valerie, that this year our school PTA president approached the other first grade teacher and me to ask if we would like to have the children take home flyers to sell Tupperware. The project had been approved by the principal, but none of the other teachers had been interested. She explained that all we had to do was pass out the envelopes which already contained all the pertinent information and then take up any completed forms and money from the children. The 'Tupperware Lady' came two or three times to pick up any orders. We did this before Christmas, and several parents ordered for Christmas gifts. We got a nice share of the profit and were able to purchase a small portable puppet stage to use in our classrooms as well as some art supplies. We were happy with the project! I thought you would be interested in hearing about that.

Valerie S on 6/11/02 at 16:48 (087161)

Suzanne,

Thanks for sharing your fundraiser success story. I'm glad to hear you made some money; your puppet stage sounds neat! Tupperware has a GREAT fundraiser program, the organization gets 50% of the retail price as their profit. I have a link to fundraisers through my Tupperware website... you can also have an online Tupperware party! Can you imagine? It's called an e-Party, hee hee.

I don't want to be too gung-ho here because I know this is not the place, but I AM really excited. I love selling a product that comes with a lifetime guarantee, and I love giving it away even more! I was thrilled when I could replace the lid to my neighbor's old canister... it must be 25 years old! Let's see any other company do THAT!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Suzanne. I'm glad your fundraiser was a success. I hope to get up the nerve to approach some organizations later in the year myself. Right now it's time to practice for tomorrow night's demonstration. hee hee...

Your friendly Tupperware Lady, Val.

Rich on 6/12/02 at 22:11 (087396)

I love tupperware....if it was made, I probably have it!!

Valerie S on 6/10/02 at 19:18 (087017)

Hi Rachael, and thanks for your encouraging words.

I managed to walk a lot less than I thought I would on the island, thanks to the horse-drawn carriage tour... hee hee. We saw (the outside of) the Grand Hotel, where they filmed Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve, and they filmed another movie there too, but I can't remember the name now.. I'll think of it, or ask my husband...

The lilac festival started on Saturday, but it has been TOO COLD for them to bloom, so it will be another week or two before the island is blanketed with the perfume of 130 different kinds of lilacs... mmmmmm, doesn't that just sound divine?? We did see 100,000 tulips at the Grand, and that was so beautiful too!

My feet survived, to make a long story short... they were hot and throbbing when I would stop walking, but I even managed to drive home (3 hours) without stopping...

NOW here's the AMAZING SUCCESS STORY!!! ... The upper peninsula, or at least the part just north of Mackinaw Bridge, is rock, limestone I think... there is this huge rock, called Castle Rock... 200 feet high, and it juts out of the side of the hill, they put some (177) stairs in so you can go stand at the top and see Mackinac Island and Mackinaw Bridge and all the beautiful trees and hills and water around you... at the bottom is a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe, the great blue ox... hee hee... Well, of course, my husband wanted so bad to climb that darned Castle Rock. I was not looking forward to trying that, but I forked over the 50 cent admission, and figured I could sit at the bottom and wait for him if needed. You know what?? The worst part was trying to BREATHE while climbing so many darned steep steps! I made it all the way to the top, and did not have any pain until on the way down, when my ankles got a little sore.... I was totally amazed with myself. (but not my aerobic health, which is totally dismal, I am afraid...) ... but I CLIMBED CASTLE ROCK!!!

This, from a woman who could barely walk to the mailbox just over a year ago! ... No, I'm not done with PF yet, but boy it sure was a great feeling of accomplishment to climb that big ol' rock!

** by the way, for anyone who might be paying attention, there are 2 different spellings, yes... Mackinac Island (the French spelling, because the Canadians named it, actually shortened it from Michilimackinac), and Mackinaw City, named by the British. Both pronounced 'MACKINAW' though... just one little history lesson I learned this weekend. Fort Michilimackinac (meaning Island of the Great Turtle from the Native Americans we stole it from) was an important place in the Revolutionary War. And apparently there is also a reservation somewhere on the island, too. **

All this, and I even played 18 holes of Mini-Golf (lost of course).

I just wish you all could have been there... it was great!
-Val.

Missy B on 6/10/02 at 20:37 (087021)

Valerie,
So great to hear you had a wonderful vacation and you were able to do so much. That's terrific. I just added Mackinac Island to my 'Places to
Visit' list - sounds as though you can still have fun, even if you can't walk all day long. Thanks for the history lesson too.
Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 21:41 (087033)

WOW!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. You must have been on cloud nine. :) Sounds like you had the very best of all possible vacations. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 22:17 (087041)

Dear Valerie,

Your horse-drawn carriage tour sounds wonderful! And your feat up Castle Rock was quite an accomplishment! I'm glad you had such a grand time. Take it easy on your feet for a few days now that you're back.

Thanks for telling us all about your adventure!

Re: Thanks, so far, so good...

Valerie S on 6/11/02 at 11:39 (087111)

Or as my husband says, so good, so far!

I am hoping my feet continue to hold out, since I have 2 Tupperware parties to do this week! hee hee...

But so far, just the usual pain. THIS I can deal with.

Val.

Suzanne D on 6/11/02 at 16:37 (087160)

I've been meaning to tell you, Valerie, that this year our school PTA president approached the other first grade teacher and me to ask if we would like to have the children take home flyers to sell Tupperware. The project had been approved by the principal, but none of the other teachers had been interested. She explained that all we had to do was pass out the envelopes which already contained all the pertinent information and then take up any completed forms and money from the children. The 'Tupperware Lady' came two or three times to pick up any orders. We did this before Christmas, and several parents ordered for Christmas gifts. We got a nice share of the profit and were able to purchase a small portable puppet stage to use in our classrooms as well as some art supplies. We were happy with the project! I thought you would be interested in hearing about that.

Valerie S on 6/11/02 at 16:48 (087161)

Suzanne,

Thanks for sharing your fundraiser success story. I'm glad to hear you made some money; your puppet stage sounds neat! Tupperware has a GREAT fundraiser program, the organization gets 50% of the retail price as their profit. I have a link to fundraisers through my Tupperware website... you can also have an online Tupperware party! Can you imagine? It's called an e-Party, hee hee.

I don't want to be too gung-ho here because I know this is not the place, but I AM really excited. I love selling a product that comes with a lifetime guarantee, and I love giving it away even more! I was thrilled when I could replace the lid to my neighbor's old canister... it must be 25 years old! Let's see any other company do THAT!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Suzanne. I'm glad your fundraiser was a success. I hope to get up the nerve to approach some organizations later in the year myself. Right now it's time to practice for tomorrow night's demonstration. hee hee...

Your friendly Tupperware Lady, Val.

Rich on 6/12/02 at 22:11 (087396)

I love tupperware....if it was made, I probably have it!!